Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 11:06 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times

Advertisements

In Finnish law there was until 1999 a phrase in the criminal law that makes blasphemy illegal, originating from 1734. One writer, Hannu Salama, was actually the last one sentenced for it in 1964 when elaboratorily depicting the religious get-togethers as orgies filled with booze and wild sex in his classic novel "The Dance on Midsummer". Salama was actually convicted, recieved a 3-month suspended jail sentence for the novel, but later pardoned and the sentence was decreed null and void by President Kekkonen. Interestingly, the "The Dance on Midsummer" got unanimously positive reviews by critics when published. I've read the novel, and it's considered one of the "must read" novels in Finnish literature. And to be frank, it's not more shocking than an average episode of Game of Thrones.

Luckily no foreigner decided "well, Finland has this archaic law, let's boycott the country". And as we saw in the case where a Dutch citizen was seemed guilty of defamation of the King, some laws in European countries are really archaic and more or less forgotten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 11:11 AM

8,866 posts, read 8,448,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
In Finnish law there was until 1999 a phrase in the criminal law that makes blasphemy illegal, originating from 1734. One writer, Hannu Salama, was actually the last one sentenced for it in 1964 when elaboratorily depicting the religious get-togethers as orgies filled with booze and wild sex in his classic novel "The Dance on Midsummer". Salama was actually convicted, recieved a 3-month suspended jail sentence for the novel, but later pardoned and the sentence was decreed null and void by President Kekkonen. Interestingly, the "The Dance on Midsummer" got unanimously positive reviews by critics when published. I've read the novel, and it's considered one of the "must read" novels in Finnish literature. And to be frank, it's not more shocking than an average episode of Game of Thrones.

Luckily no foreigner decided "well, Finland has this archaic law, let's boycott the country". And as we saw in the case where a Dutch citizen was seemed guilty of defamation of the King, some laws in European countries are really archaic and more or less forgotten.
Is it good? I'm interested.

Old 08-27-2016, 11:16 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Lived in the US all of my 57 years. Number of times I've seen someone other than a cop or security guard with a weapon, ZERO. Might be different in other places, but if Europeans think the typical American is walking around with a gun on their hip they are mistaken.

Old 08-27-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Is it good? I'm interested.
It's quite good, yes, but not if you think it as in a 21st century perspective, you have to put yourself into the 50's and 60's bourgeoisie prudish society. When published in 1964 it was rebellious, hedonistic and blasphemous. It was a forefather to many of the hippie movements later that decade.

It has never been translated to other languages, as it focuses only on post WWII Finnish culture.

Old 08-27-2016, 11:37 AM

8,866 posts, read 8,448,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
It's quite good, yes, but not if you think it as in a 21st century perspective, you have to put yourself into the 50's and 60's bourgeoisie prudish society. When published in 1964 it was rebellious, hedonistic and blasphemous. It was a forefather to many of the hippie movements later that decade.

It has never been translated to other languages, as it focuses only on post WWII Finnish culture.
Prudish stories don't bother me. There's ancient Chinese stuff that I've read and I don't think anything can get pruder than that lol.

But not even English? Pity.

Old 08-27-2016, 11:44 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,727,746 times
Americans will have the last laugh when those pesky aliens come in their spaceships to destroy the planet. What will the Europeans do, throw their French bread at them?

Old 08-27-2016, 11:45 AM

45,397 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Americans will have the last laugh when those pesky aliens come in their spaceships to destroy the planet. What will the Europeans do, throw their French bread at them?
Wooden shoes would hurt more.

Old 08-27-2016, 12:02 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,727,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Wooden shoes would hurt more.
In Britain we have our cricket bats and umbrellas.

Old 08-27-2016, 12:19 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,794,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
The irony...
How many times did the U.S. said this about other countries "Their country, their rules"?
Rarely. Lol

Old 08-27-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Prudish stories don't bother me. There's ancient Chinese stuff that I've read and I don't think anything can get pruder than that lol.

But not even English? Pity.
If you want a book hint, read Mika Waltari's 'The Egyptian'. It's an epic novel based in antique Egypt, but has some protests of the Western European Society of the time. (widely translated in English.)

'The Dark Knight' of Mika Waltari is one of the best novels I've ever read. It's about a Byzantine soldier in the last months before the Ottoman conquest of Constantinople. (widely translated in English.)

The last hint is 'Talvisota'. It's not that widely translated but came into attention of the TV series. The novel is great, but I consider this one of the best novels ever adapted on a TV screen. The 'Talvisota' miniseries and movie was the first to implement realistic POV and viewpoints "like you were there". Iconic movies like Saving Private Ryan and the series Band of Brothers both took lessons from 'Talvisota' to make their scenes more realistic.

The whole miniseries with English subtitles can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcw...w=0&shelf_id=0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World