Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 07:15 PM

10,645 posts, read 16,030,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Malaysia is not developed. It's corrupt af

poorer than the poorest EU member states.

Besides the distribution of wealth is horrible, with its Chinese minorities holding the majority of it.

The crime rate is extremely high as well. KL looks decent, but that's about it.
True.

GDP (PPP) per capita is higher than Romania and Bulgaria.

Agreed.

It might be high but i wouldn't call it extremely high, you make it sound like Honduras/Venezuela.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 07:32 PM

510 posts, read 609,907 times
If you define tropical as between the tropic of Cancer and Capricorn, then Singapore, Brunei, Taiwan, United Arab Emirates, Sint Maarten, Saudi Arabia, St. Kitts and Nevis, Antigua and Barbuda, Mauritius, and Panama are all have an HDI of high.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
If you define tropical as between the tropic of Cancer and Capricorn, then Singapore, Brunei, Taiwan, United Arab Emirates, Sint Maarten, Saudi Arabia, St. Kitts and Nevis, Antigua and Barbuda, Mauritius, and Panama are all have an HDI of high.
Countries with modern slavery and accepted discrimination of non-heterosexuals are not developed.

Saudi Arabia? i can't even...

Old 10-30-2016, 08:02 PM

510 posts, read 609,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Countries with modern slavery and accepted discrimination of non-heterosexuals are not developed.

I said all these countries have an HDI of high, if you do not accept that definition of developed then you need to provide your definition of "developed". One can add many of their own expectations of what developed means to them (is a country where kids frequently get shot in school developed? How about one that prohibits abortion? Does it require a free press? etc. This could eliminate many "developed" nations)

Old 10-30-2016, 08:03 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Taiwan is Sub-Tropical.
I didn't know if we were counting sub-tropical or not, but part of Taiwan is within the tropics. Most people categorize it as tropical.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 10-30-2016 at 08:56 PM..

Old 10-30-2016, 08:18 PM

Quote:
is a country where kids frequently get shot in school developed?

How about one that prohibits abortion?

Does it require a free press?
If its not done by a organization it can be.

If it completely prohibits abortion even in cases such as rape its not a developed country.

Yes.

Old 10-30-2016, 08:43 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,444,813 times
Quote:
Honestly I'd only consider those of very high HDI developed. Actually even that is pretty far-fetched. I'd say only those with a higher HDI than Italy are developed, that means out of these only Singapore and Taiwan are.

Old 10-30-2016, 09:02 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,819,326 times
Probably Panama in 10-15 years.

Old 10-30-2016, 09:16 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
The colonial systems were created and implemented to exploit, take advantage of the local populations, dehumanize them, and to leech as much as possible. At the same time, colonial powers were creating an exclusive global economy that they controlled, excluding ex-colonies and saddling them with debt when many were trying to become independent.

Nowadays those same systems are used, but to benefit the local populations who are descendants of the colonizers. They haven't changed because the nepotism and corruption are embedded within the highly bureaucratic national laws, which are to their benefit. They are still also trying to fit into the global economy.

I believe that unless those laws are changed and unless the local ex-colony culture changes, nothing in these countries will change, unfortunately. Change is very slow, and takes ALOT of time to trickle up.
^^^This

Old 10-30-2016, 11:24 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,983,545 times
Quote:

I love it when the so called West urges gay rights in undeveloped nations, and threatens to withhold aid to them due to the violations of gay rights, but are silent in the matter of the matter of gay rights in muslim countries with no talk of sanctions, even though Saudi Arabia brings the death penality to homosexuals.. Of course the West is happy to by oil from Saudi Arabia and sell very expensive military hardware to that country. Infact Saudi Arabia is one of the Western world best customers for military goods.

How about Indonesia? It is even poorer than Malaysia, and there are some areas that have strict interpretation of Islamic law, but the West is silent on that matter. No talk of boycotts, etc.

With Malaysia, Malaysians have extra money to spend after tax compared to Bulgaria which is an EU member. https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...ntry2=Bulgaria
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World