Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2020, 04:40 AM

14,822 posts, read 12,045,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
School system, work life, layout of cities and living space, business style, fashion, and a gazillion other things...
Layout of cities? Business style? fashion!!? I don't see it? Can you elaborate? Before you answer please bear in mind the British do NOT walk around in striped suits and bowler hats and Australians do NOT walk about with corks dangling from their hats!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2020, 04:53 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,077,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Layout of cities? Business style? fashion!!? I don't see it? Can you elaborate? Before you answer please bear in mind the British do NOT walk around in striped suits and bowler hats and Australians do NOT walk about with corks dangling from their hats!
That is not what I meant.

The way most people dress tends to be somewhat similar in all western countries but there are subtleties in each country as well. And within regions of them.

Stuff like baseball caps are more common in Canada and the US as are white New Balance sneakers with khakis or jeans.

Old 08-01-2020, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Canada has always had difference from the UK, and therefore hasn't rid itself of anything.

The UK generally imported British style parliaments, English legal system and other such democratic facets.

However each Anglosphere country is different in many different ways and in terms of Canada it's close geographical proximity to the US and the fact that US culture has spread across the western world means that Canadians will indeed share many similarities with the US.

Canadians are however proud of their country and proud of being different in other respects to the US.
Thanks. I live in Canada. I have actually lived in several parts of it and been all over. I have also been all over Australia and the UK. All over the USA too.

I have a good idea of what these places are like.

People may disagree with my opinion but it is certainly not ill-informed.

Old 08-01-2020, 05:01 AM

14,822 posts, read 12,045,288 times
Quote:

The way most people dress tends to be somewhat similar in all western countries but there are subtleties in each country as well. And within regions of them.

Stuff like baseball caps are more common in Canada and the US as are white New Balance sneakers with khakis or jeans.
I'm not so sure any of that is true, apart from 'perhaps' the caps, but there again plenty of people in the UK wear caps, I couldn't tell you about Australia. Everybody in the UK are in shorts right now but I'm guessing shorts are worn more in Australia than in the UK and Canada just because of the climate thing no?

Old 08-01-2020, 05:13 AM

Quote:
I'm not so sure any of that is true, apart from 'perhaps' the caps, but there again plenty of people in the UK wear caps, I couldn't tell you about Australia. Everybody in the UK are in shorts right now but I'm guessing shorts are worn more in Australia than in the UK and Canada just because of the climate thing no?
I am talking about subtleties.

There are even differences between Quebec and Ontario here in Canada.

The metro area I live in spans the two provinces and a person who is the slightest bit observant will notice some differences between either side.

Old 08-01-2020, 08:45 AM

27,216 posts, read 13,508,926 times
Quote:
Australia and NZ have good meat pies with Brits always love, as well as dish and chips, they also play cricket and rugby.

Most Brits do feel more at home in Anglosphere countries and especially certain parts of countries, for instance parts of the East Coast of the US including NYC and New England, and areas of NZ and Australia, such as parts of NSW and parts of Victoria.

Canada, Australia and the US are so vast and diverse that Brits will feel at home in one area more than another, and people from certain areas in each of those countries may feel more at home in terms of visiting the UK than others.

The Anglosphere countries are however all great countries to visit.

Old 09-07-2020, 01:53 PM

42 posts, read 16,894 times
Quote:

New Balance's are not really emblematic of anything Americans wear regularly. They're an exercise shoe you can sometimes catch upper-middle agers wearing, unless they're a deliberately ironic fashion choice. There are similar shoe brands that occupy that space in other countries.

Vans and Converse are quite common in the US and are illustrative of distinct styles unique to American culture, but we're just not going to mention those are we? Because they're just this side of tasteful, and god forbid anyone construe American cultural exports as anything tasteful. Oh no.

It's more illustrative and accurate to point out types of clothing that might be worn rather than attempt to specify brands, which is bound to be inaccurate.

In terms of shoes the only significant difference I find is that high top sneakers, as in basketball sneakers, and cowboy boots/timberlands are more common in the US, as are boot cut jeans. Not the case in Britain. Basketball, Skater culture, surfer chic styles, bro culture, redneck/trucker styles, Americana, grunge, and hip hop culture all influence American fashion more than British fashion, so clothing in the US has historically been less parochial. Think the Greaser fashions vs the Teddy Boys. British fashion culture for men involves a bit more peacocking, tbh. Lots of quiffs, a more frequent presence of v necks and fitted tees, and even ultra skinny pants and male leggings.

Men's fashion in the US can be the same way, but in a different context, usually one revolving around peacocking and showing off their ruggedness rather than their "sleekness" or "spiffiness" - therefore, there's more of a tendency towards work wear and work out clothes - the aforementioned timberlands and cowboy boots, khakis or boot cut jeans, loose fitting tees, belts with large buckles, baseball caps (forwards or backwards), sleveless t-shirts, flannel shirts, etc....

You're more likely to see an American male wearing basketball shorts or cargo shorts. Shoe brands favored by Americans in the 90s and 2000s were of the "chunky" sort of style, and these were favored much longer in the US than they were in the UK, and seemed more widespread. There's less of a "dandy-ish" quality in general to American fashion. Shorts tend to fall a bit lower, shirts won't be buttoned up to the collar - there's even a notable difference in accessorized items like socks - you see young American guys walking around with these basic white athletic crew socks, while that stuff isn't nearly as popular in the UK, where dressier styles and less basic colors are often favored more.

In preppy circles, American men wear polos, keep their hair moderate length or short and un-styled, like to wear "chub" shorts and occasionally Bermuda shorts, like pastels, and wear Sperry's and flip-flops more often. Buzzcuts and crewcuts seemed to always be somewhat more common among American men until both styles went out of fashion sometime in the 2000s. British men have always seemed to prefer to style their hair, via spiking or gelling, getting an "undercut", or growing a mop top.

That's the extent of the differences, tbh. It seems American and British female fashion differs far less, and I wonder why that is - that female fashion seems somewhat more globalized.

Last edited by whinendine; 09-07-2020 at 02:29 PM..

Old 09-09-2020, 03:15 AM

27,216 posts, read 13,508,926 times
Quote:
Thanks. I live in Canada. I have actually lived in several parts of it and been all over. I have also been all over Australia and the UK. All over the USA too.

I have a good idea of what these places are like.

People may disagree with my opinion but it is certainly not ill-informed.
Not sure where I stated that your opinion was ill informed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World