Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 04:41 PM

231 posts, read 333,668 times

Advertisements

Hard to split my home city Melbourne and New York based on my experience. Toronto also represents well.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 04:44 PM

209 posts, read 305,187 times
and Chicago?

Old 06-11-2015, 04:46 PM

Yes how could I forget Chicago, met lots of greeks from there in Athens last year.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:10 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,104,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester Scrtus View Post
Tarpon Springs?
Exactly. You beat me by 8 minutes.

Whenver you think an American city (like Chicago) reflects any old world culture, you can be sure Toronto goes at least a step further. I think, in the US, Detroit might have the most conspicuous Greek Town.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:07 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,104,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester Scrtus View Post
I'm referring to a town on the gulf coasf of Florida settled by Greek sponge seekers. I visited the town a long time ago and it was nice. I hope they haven't turned it into a theme park.
I know, I've been there, walking down the street eating a hand-filled container of calamata olives bought from a street vendor. But even then (about 1980), it was getting very touristy. Took my kid out on the sponge boat to see the guy go down in the old-fashioned divers suit with lead boots like from the giant-clam movies.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:13 PM

349 posts, read 489,825 times
My city, Melbourne, and it's not even up for debate. Melbourne's status as the largest Greek city outside Greece is well known. It's less obvious now ,but still obvious. I even live opposite a Greek Orthodox Church. There are many around the city, as well as Greek delis, butchers, restaurants, stores.etc. There's a Greek Precinct in the city and many areas that are heavily Greek with signs in Cyrillic everywhere.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGeeks View Post
My city, Melbourne, and it's not even up for debate. Melbourne's status as the largest Greek city outside Greece is well known. It's less obvious now ,but still obvious. I even live opposite a Greek Orthodox Church. There are many around the city, as well as Greek delis, butchers, restaurants, stores.etc. There's a Greek Precinct in the city and many areas that are heavily Greek with signs in Cyrillic everywhere.
I use to think this as well, but I've been to New York and they have all the same things as well, greek run diners everywhere, more greek restaurants than melbourne and the largest greek populated suburb in the world (astoria 17,000 greeks) by contrast melbourne's largest greek suburb oakleigh only has a little over 5,000 greeks, so i did a bit of research and it appears as though melbourne's greek pop has dipped in the last 20 years, I know many returned to Greece in the 90s, as it stands the New York metro area has more Greeks than Melbourne, of course it doesn't help that melbourne's original greek district only has 3 greek shops left, even the once heavily greek influenced neighbourhoods have been gentrified beyond recognition ( northcote/Brunswick), in addition to that New York still has a viable greek nightlife scene, in melbourne this basically died in the late 90s. New York also has the largest attended greek Independence Day parade and a local greek cable tv channel...we have nothing of the sort here.

Once upon a time melbourne apparently had 250-300k greeks, now it's dwindled down to around 150k, I'd say theirs very little to seperate the 2 cities nowadays in terms of greek influence. This topic really got me thinking when I was holidaying in Greece last year, it was very clear to me that the locals consider New York to be the main centre of the greek diaspora, when I'd mention melbourne they would look at me like I'm a weirdo.

Last edited by Razor217; 06-12-2015 at 10:19 PM..

Old 06-13-2015, 05:18 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,115,007 times
NYC will often have the mostest of any emigrant nationality but that does not mean it has the biggest "feel" of the old country. It is probably too diverse and big to have the feel of any single country.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:20 AM

376 posts, read 1,868,280 times
Yes I'd vote NYC, but also the surrounding areas too like Long Island. There is a greek diner in almost every town.

Old 06-13-2015, 11:48 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,368,039 times
I would say Melbourne or New York. Both have BIG populations. Toronto has a pretty big community too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World