Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 11:27 AM

27,194 posts, read 13,482,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
More loosely defined downtown areas, so they were not included. Some of the above cities mentioned have so so downtowns if included as downtowns: Paris, London, Rome and Berlin. Chicago's downtown is mainly the Loop, which is not the best in the world, and if the whole area included all the way to Lincoln Park, lots of sketchy areas and too spread out, so it's out. NY, Lower Manhattan the best downtown? No. Actual downtown area of Hong Kong is very small despite lots of high rises across the whole urban core.

Madrid is honorable mentioned as one of the best. Sorry for not putting the honorable mention. Barcelona is very good, and if Las Ramblas were included: would be up there as the top 3.
I don't agree.

Paris has a maginificent city centre, London likewise which is home to a large theatre, shopping and entertainment district and has numerous beautiful shopping streets. Rome is amazing and historic and so on and so on.

I have already been forewarned by another forumer that you have a history of causing trouble, so I think I will just state that you are talking total nonsense and leave it there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 11:59 AM

2,694 posts, read 3,194,147 times
Quote:
More loosely defined downtown areas, so they were not included. Some of the above cities mentioned have so so downtowns if included as downtowns: Paris, London, Rome and Berlin. Chicago's downtown is mainly the Loop, which is not the best in the world, and if the whole area included all the way to Lincoln Park, lots of sketchy areas and too spread out, so it's out. NY, Lower Manhattan the best downtown? No In case of London, downtown is City. Is city the best in the world?? No. Actual downtown area of Hong Kong is very small despite lots of high rises across the whole urban core. Downtown Paris is tired and lack the nightlife and sizzle. Maybe things changed in the last year since I was there. For now, no

Madrid is honorable mentioned as one of the best, along with Santiago, Chile. Sorry for not putting the honorable mention. Barcelona is very good, and if Las Ramblas were included: would be up there as the top 3.
I won't pretend that Chicago has the best downtown in the world, but the part in bold is flat out wrong. Downtown has been far more than just The Loop for decades at this point, hence why some of our tallest and most iconic downtown skyscrapers aren't even located in The Loop. Additionally, no one thinks Lincoln Park is apart of downtown, but even if it were, what sketchy areas are you even referring to on your way north up to Lincoln Park? In case you hadn't heard, they tore the Cabrini Green highrise projects down. The area is rapidly becoming condos.

Old 02-20-2018, 05:03 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,929,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I don't agree.

Paris has a maginificent city centre, London likewise which is home to a large theatre, shopping and entertainment district and has numerous beautiful shopping streets. Rome is amazing and historic and so on and so on.

I have already been forewarned by another forumer that you have a history of causing trouble, so I think I will just state that you are talking total nonsense and leave it there.
Downtown London is the City: shopping is on Oxford st.(West End, not City) no it's not the best in the world. Same can be said for Paris. Downtown Rome is filthy and littered with trash and graffiti, so no, it's not the world's best. I stand by my list. It's my own observation and findings.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:43 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,247,654 times
Quote:
Downtown London is the City: shopping is on Oxford st.(West End, not City) no it's not the best in the world. Same can be said for Paris. Downtown Rome is filthy and littered with trash and graffiti, so no, it's not the world's best. I stand by my list. It's my own observation and findings.
Well ... at least you left out San Jose from your city list (if they know your main agenda on C-D). I couldn't resist a mention. . It isn't that people deny most of the cities attributes on your list are relevant for their cores/downtown's. It is the cities you left off especially... and the order giving NO reasons even. It's a pretty eclectic list also.

But if you seek feedback and opinions to post in this "World" forum? Clearly the consensus is not agreeing with your list. Why post here for other opinions? If your list is the only valid offerings? This isn't even about US cites.... you have many times more cities worthy even more in the world.

I think most are wondering why NYC is left off? Also your comment on Rome is in poor taste to introduce yourself to the World forum asking for input in a thread of your creating. Doesn't bode well for the thread's prospects to go further .....

Old 02-20-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Well ... at least you left out San Jose from your city list (if they know your main agenda on C-D). I couldn't resist a mention. . It isn't that people deny most of the cities attributes on your list are relevant for their cores/downtown's. It is the cities you left off especially... and the order giving NO reasons even. It's a pretty eclectic list also.

But if you seek feedback and opinions to post in this "World" forum? Clearly the consensus is not agreeing with your list. Why post here for other opinions? If your list is the only valid offerings? This isn't even about US cites.... you have many times more cities worthy even more in the world.

I think most are wondering why NYC is left off? Also your comment on Rome is in poor taste to introduce yourself to the World forum asking for input in a thread of your creating. Doesn't bode well for the thread's prospects to go further .....
You haven't been to Rome: is a disaster with lots of wear and tear. The downtown area is going through hard times just like Athens. I stand by this list since it's fairly accurate and current.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:39 PM

NY is left out because it doesn't have the best downtown in the world, let alone U.S.. Philly is the only city that can go ahead toe to toe with the world's best since downtown has become a powerhouse and very well rounded. The best retailers are downtown and restaurants are, too.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post

read another thread and move on*********************

Old 02-20-2018, 08:17 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,247,654 times
Quote:
NY is left out because it doesn't have the best downtown in the world, let alone U.S.. Philly is the only city that can go ahead toe to toe with the world's best since downtown has become a powerhouse and very well rounded. The best retailers are downtown and restaurants are, too.
OK I'll take the bait. What is these best retailers ... of downtown Philly? I read the "Retail coming to Philly thread and others in the Philly forum. They beg for some flagship stores to move in.... then are disappointed if its a small version or outlet one.

They might be getting more in a mall type new shopping place .... but so far nothing major. They still are hoping a mere rumor a Bloomingdales might be seeking or coming. They have their Macy's in the iconic former Wanamaker's location.

The major high-end retailers and those moving in are still going to the Suburban KOP or King of Prussia mall location and not in downtown Philly.

Since Chicago was already mentioned here and by you too. You do realize the esteem its "Magnificent Mile" or N. Michigan Ave. première shopping street gets with Flagship high-end retailers most building new stores since 2000. From Sak's to Burberry's, Neiman Marcus to Bloomingdales, Zara to Topshop, Gucci's to Tiffany's, Cartier to Louis Vuitton. Even Dior and Versace have opened retail shops on Rush St. off N Michigan Ave.

Of course a downtown is more then retail too. But that is what you touted to list Philly right? Over NYC and Chicago or ..... dare I say San Francisco too . You generally downplay to elevate San Jose .... and no shortage of restaurants in these US cities you left off your list for Philly instead.

But you surely have a right to your opinion on downtown Philly vs. these other top US cities as superior.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:27 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,890,228 times
Quote:
No trouble here: just telling what the world's best downtowns are from visiting, learning and reading from cities that have the best downtowns. It's only my opinion, not everyone's opinion.
I know this is your thread, but some advice to avoid getting the backlash you are getting. Instead of injecting your subjective opinion on which large cities in the world have the best DT, why not say of the following cities, which has the best DT based on the following criteria.

This way you get what you are looking for without being controversial from the start. Instead of a healthy discussion about the cities in question and their downtown's, now you are getting well why didn't you include so and so.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I know this is your thread, but some advice to avoid getting the backlash you are getting. Instead of injecting your subjective opinion on which large cities in the world have the best DT, why not say of the following cities, which has the best DT based on the following criteria.

This way you get what you are looking for without being controversial from the start. Instead of a healthy discussion about the cities in question and their downtown's, now you are getting well why didn't you include so and so.
That's what I said: based on criteria-ambiance, architectures, pedestrian friendliness and etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World