Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 11:51 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,929,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
OK I'll take the bait. What is these best retailers ... of downtown Philly? I read the "Retail coming to Philly thread and others in the Philly forum. They beg for some flagship stores to move in.... then are disappointed if its a small version or outlet one.

They might be getting more in a mall type new shopping place .... but so far nothing major. They still are hoping a mere rumor a Bloomingdales might be seeking or coming. They have their Macy's in the iconic former Wanamaker's location.

The major high-end retailers and those moving in are still going to the Suburban KOP or King of Prussia mall location and not in downtown Philly.

Since Chicago was already mentioned here and by you too. You do realize the esteem its "Magnificent Mile" or N. Michigan Ave. première shopping street gets with Flagship high-end retailers most building new stores since 2000. From Sak's to Burberry's, Neiman Marcus to Bloomingdales, Zara to Topshop, Gucci's to Tiffany's, Cartier to Louis Vuitton. Even Dior and Versace have opened retail shops on Rush St. off N Michigan Ave.

Of course a downtown is more then retail too. But that is what you touted to list Philly right? Over NYC and Chicago or ..... dare I say San Francisco too . You generally downplay to elevate San Jose .... and no shortage of restaurants in these US cities you left off your list for Philly instead.

But you surely have a right to your opinion on downtown Philly vs. these other top US cities as superior.
First of all: Mag. Mile is meth, secondly, I pointed out it's shady in certain areas of Greater Downtown Chitown area, and lastly, nightlife is basically further out.

SF downtown is too filthy and no sense of community once so ever, especially in the Financial District.

Center City Philly has a lot of it retail and retail is not the only reason why this downtown is on the list. Many other factors are taken into account.

What San Jose has to do with the list?

Just leave it at that: the list holds!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 11:56 PM

Folks, this is an unbiased and honest list. Very serious considerations were taken into account. There's no ulterior motive: just a true findings of the best downtown in the world. Let's just stick to the thread/topic please

Old 02-21-2018, 12:06 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,890,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Folks, this is an unbiased and honest list. Very serious considerations were taken into account. There's no ulterior motive: just a true findings of the best downtown in the world. Let's just stick to the thread/topic please
No actually it is not and your answer to my question is totally disingenuous. You framed this thread on the fact that these are the worlds best large city DT's and I gave you pretty decent advice to avoid the sandstorm you got yourself into.. At first when I read from others that you are a stir the pot guy that maybe i'll give you the benefit of the doubt but after these posts I agree with them and will join them and not take part in this discussion.

#Folks let's stick to the thread/topic of my disingenuous and contentious thread/topic I demand it lol...

Old 02-21-2018, 03:59 AM

27,194 posts, read 13,482,880 times
Quote:
Downtown London is the City: shopping is on Oxford st.(West End, not City) no it's not the best in the world. Same can be said for Paris. Downtown Rome is filthy and littered with trash and graffiti, so no, it's not the world's best. I stand by my list. It's my own observation and findings.
The Financial District is the City, in terms of the West End it has some of the best shopping streets in the world such as Regents Street, the very exclusive New Bond Street, Conduit Street, Sloane Street, Kings Road, Savile Row, Jermyn Street, Knightsbridge, Covent Garden etc. It's also home to Shaftesbury Avenue and one of the best theatre districts in the world. As for Oxford Streets it's undergoing a lot of change as it becomes pedestrianised. You also have numerpus markets around London, such as Borough Market, Camden Market, Leadenhall Market etc etc.

London at top of global league for luxury shop openings - The Telegraph (2017)

London world's top destination for luxury market - Retail Gazette

London's West End ranked top retail destination in Europe - Retail Focus

Sloane Street | Exclusive Luxury Shopping in London

Guide to the shops and art galleries in New Bond Street and Old Bond Street

Regent Street London - Shopping - Fashion - Events

The ultimate Knightsbridge shopping guide : The Shaftesbury

Street guide to London's King's Road in Chelsea, plus Sloane Square

Savile Row Bespoke

Jermyn Street

Covent Garden: Shopping, Food & Cultural Destination, London

Best London markets – Shopping – Time Out London

Harrods, designer clothing, luxury gifts and fashion accessories

Harvey Nichols - Designer Fashion, Beauty, Food & Wine

Liberty London | Liberty London

Fortnum & Mason

Asprey London Est. 1781

London West End Theatres

The same is true of Paris which has the Champs Elysees, Rue de Passy, Rue de Renne and arguably some of the best shopping streets in the world, ad does NYC and many other vibrant global cities.

Last edited by Brave New World; 02-21-2018 at 04:48 AM..

Old 02-21-2018, 06:49 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,347,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
OK I'll take the bait. What is these best retailers ... of downtown Philly? I read the "Retail coming to Philly thread and others in the Philly forum. They beg for some flagship stores to move in.... then are disappointed if its a small version or outlet one.

They might be getting more in a mall type new shopping place .... but so far nothing major. They still are hoping a mere rumor a Bloomingdales might be seeking or coming. They have their Macy's in the iconic former Wanamaker's location.

The major high-end retailers and those moving in are still going to the Suburban KOP or King of Prussia mall location and not in downtown Philly.

Since Chicago was already mentioned here and by you too. You do realize the esteem its "Magnificent Mile" or N. Michigan Ave. première shopping street gets with Flagship high-end retailers most building new stores since 2000. From Sak's to Burberry's, Neiman Marcus to Bloomingdales, Zara to Topshop, Gucci's to Tiffany's, Cartier to Louis Vuitton. Even Dior and Versace have opened retail shops on Rush St. off N Michigan Ave.

Of course a downtown is more then retail too. But that is what you touted to list Philly right? Over NYC and Chicago or ..... dare I say San Francisco too . You generally downplay to elevate San Jose .... and no shortage of restaurants in these US cities you left off your list for Philly instead.

But you surely have a right to your opinion on downtown Philly vs. these other top US cities as superior.
You just couldn't help yourself. Any opportunity you have to take a shot at Philadelphia and put Chicago on a pedistal.

I do agree that retail in Philadelphia is not that great (its all in the burbs), BUT that still does not lower the status of Center City. I would say New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, San Fran and Boston have the best and most cohesive downtowns in the nation, and Philadelphia seems to be transforming the fastest since it was late to the real estate boom. Also, the restaurant/ dining culture of Philadelphia can stand up to any other US city, its not the 1980s anymore.

Also, you are smarter than this, the poster is trying to start trouble. He created another thread a few months back "San Jose v Philly" in which San Jose does everything better than Philadelphia... The poster also likes to pick on Houston.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:49 AM

27,194 posts, read 13,482,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
You just couldn't help yourself. Any opportunity you have to take a shot at Philadelphia and put Chicago on a pedistal.

I do agree that retail in Philadelphia is not that great (its all in the burbs), BUT that still does not lower the status of Center City. I would say New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, San Fran and Boston have the best and most cohesive downtowns in the nation, and Philadelphia seems to be transforming the fastest since it was late to the real estate boom. Also, the restaurant/ dining culture of Philadelphia can stand up to any other US city, its not the 1980s anymore.

Also, you are smarter than this, the poster is trying to start trouble. He created another thread a few months back "San Jose v Philly" in which San Jose does everything better than Philadelphia... The poster also likes to pick on Houston.
Totally Agree, although might as well enjoy ourselves.

Luxury shopping in London - visitlondon.com

As for London forgot to add Mount Street.

Mount Street: London's most iconic street - The Telegraph

Also forget South Molton Street

South Molton St Style

Forgot about Beauchamp Place

Beauchamp Place

And Marleybone also has some great shops and eateries.

Marylebone Village: Official Marylebone Area Guide

Of course Notting Hill is another favourite.

Notting Hill shops and Portobello Road Market – Time Out London

Camden has a great vibe and some weird and wonderful shops.

The Best Boutiques and Shops in Camden, London - Culture Trip

Carnaby Street has an interesting history and is still a good shopping street.

Carnaby Street

Whilst Shoreditch with shopping streets such as very trendy Redchurch Street is becoming ever popular, along with Box Park.

Where to Shop in Shoreditch, London - Suitcase Magazine

BOXPARK Shoreditch | Fashion | Arts | Food & Drink | Visit

And lets not forget Leather Lane

14 reasons to go to Leather Lane, EC1 - Time Out

or indeed Brick Lane

Shops & Galleries - Brick Lane

And of course if Malls are your thing then there is Westfield.

Westfield London - Westfield UK

And lets finally give a mention to Oxford Street, as it going to be pedestrianised shortly, with more trees and green soace and is home to some very good shops including Selfridges.

The Oxford Street pedestrianisation is just the start of making London a place where more people walk - City Metric

Last edited by Brave New World; 02-21-2018 at 08:48 AM..

Old 02-21-2018, 09:21 AM

Honorable Mentioned Downtowns:

1. Istanbul
2. Madrid
3. Barcelona
4. Seoul/Buernos Aires tie
5. Portland, Ore
6. Chicago
7. Boston
8. Many of large Cities in China
9. Charleston, SC
10 Belgrade
11.Montreal

*These downtowns are great but not the best

Downtowns to Watch:

1. L.A
2. London
3. Capetown
4. Denver

*Possible future great downtowns

Old 02-21-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The Financial District is the City, in terms of the West End it has some of the best shopping streets in the world such as Regents Street, the very exclusive New Bond Street, Conduit Street, Sloane Street, Kings Road, Savile Row, Jermyn Street, Knightsbridge, Covent Garden etc. It's also home to Shaftesbury Avenue and one of the best theatre districts in the world. As for Oxford Streets it's undergoing a lot of change as it becomes pedestrianised. You also have numerpus markets around London, such as Borough Market, Camden Market, Leadenhall Market etc etc.

London at top of global league for luxury shop openings - The Telegraph (2017)

London world's top destination for luxury market - Retail Gazette

London's West End ranked top retail destination in Europe - Retail Focus

Sloane Street | Exclusive Luxury Shopping in London

Guide to the shops and art galleries in New Bond Street and Old Bond Street

Regent Street London - Shopping - Fashion - Events

The ultimate Knightsbridge shopping guide : The Shaftesbury

Street guide to London's King's Road in Chelsea, plus Sloane Square

Savile Row Bespoke

Jermyn Street

Covent Garden: Shopping, Food & Cultural Destination, London

Best London markets – Shopping – Time Out London

Harrods, designer clothing, luxury gifts and fashion accessories

Harvey Nichols - Designer Fashion, Beauty, Food & Wine

Liberty London | Liberty London

Fortnum & Mason

Asprey London Est. 1781

London West End Theatres

The same is true of Paris which has the Champs Elysees, Rue de Passy, Rue de Renne and arguably some of the best shopping streets in the world, ad does NYC and many other vibrant global cities.
Look, guy, I was in London 1 1/2 year ago: AkA Covenant Garden, Chelsea(Harrod's), Oxford Street, South Bank, Croyden, Bromley, City and etc.. No, Downtown London doesn't qualify. Enough!

Old 02-21-2018, 09:28 AM

1,891 posts, read 1,686,645 times
I went to USA Asia (Sk, Japan), and many cities in Europe.

Asian cities are amazing because they are incredibly safe and clean. But damn, they are not "pretty". Seoul, Busan, Tokyo... amazing for 1 or 2 weeks, but fastly boring and depressing IMO.

My favorite is London with Paris. London is more open, clean, green (hein Brave New World! ), rich, too much because it becomes unafordable in many places.
I like Paris because it's more pretty, more sophisticated, also compete with London for food, castles, but also unfortunately more gritty in many place and more dirty definitely. But it doesn't block me that much (I went to Napoli lol, Paris is an hospital compare to this city lol). Best is to know that I'm more close to London than Lyon

My experience of American cities is that except NY, they are... not dense enough to have a core that compete against a London. They are more pretty than cities in SK or Japan with this amazing american style, but based on "cars", which is a default when you want to walk a little.

Madrid, Roma, Vienna, Turin, Barcelona... I had to travel a little to realize that my vision of "great" cities is extremely "euro-based" . .... That's just my POV .

Old 02-21-2018, 09:58 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,129 posts, read 7,579,110 times
Quote:
Honorable Mentioned Downtowns:

1. Istanbul
2. Madrid
3. Barcelona
4. Seoul/Buernos Aires tie
5. Portland, Ore
6. Chicago
7. Boston
8. Many of large Cities in China
9. Charleston, SC (too small for this list)
10 Belgrade
11.Montreal

*These downtowns are great but not the best

Downtowns to Watch:

1. L.A
2. London
3. Capetown
4. Denver

*Possible future great downtowns
Downtown Washington DC would have to fit somewhere on this list, it has infilled an incredible rate and vastly improved from 20 years ago. From a things to do stand point DC easily fits with the same grouping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World