Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2018, 04:46 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Yes of course it is, but he was discussing London, which isn't on the coast. He then tried southern England, which still has wetter summers, and less sun than Vancouver.

PS..it's the same on the east coast as well
I believe the summer air temperatures at the beach tend to be considerably higher on the East Coast than the West Coast at comparable latitudes.

For example, the beach town of La Jolla, CA is at the same latitude as Charleston, SC. Average high temperature in July in La Jolla, 71F/21C. In Charleston, 88F/31C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 04:50 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Yes I did AND I also posted the 50 year averages, did you see them? You will find Vancouver and London to have practically identical temperature ranges Summer and Winter, it also showed that Vancouver has around 800mm of rain per year EIGHT HUNDRED! That is more than London and certainly a LOT more than anywhere in the Med! Go back and look at the 'averages', incidently what did you make of the June 2018 report and the December 2017 report? Did you see how 'similar' the weather was in Vancouver and London? Did you see how different both were to Paphos!!

Here are TODAYS weather reports 5th December across the Med:-

Alicante 23 deg C, Sunny
Barcelona 19 deg C, Sunny
Corfu 20 deg C, Sunny
Faro 20 deg C, Sunny
Ibiza 19 deg C, Sunny
Las Palmas 24 deg C, Sunny
Luxor 23 deg C, Sunny
Madeira 23 deg C, Sunny
Majorca 19 deg C, Fair
Malaga 22 deg C, Sunny
Marrakesh 26 deg C, Sunny
Nice 18 deg C, Sunny
Nicosia 19 deg C, Showers
Rome 18 deg C, Sunny
Tel Aviv 21 deg C, Fair
&
Vancouver 6 deg C - yes SIX deg C (thats 6 degrees LESS than London today!!), Sunny

Can anybody spot the odd one out!!? If Vancouver is supposed to be a Med climate then I am the President of the USA!

London - all the others have a clear Mediterranean precipitation distribution, while London has a typical Oceanic distribution.

Old 12-05-2018, 04:52 PM

595 posts, read 719,717 times
Faro, Madeira and Las Palmas are not on the Med, in fact, London is closer to the Med. than Madeira and Las Palmas.

Old 12-05-2018, 04:53 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Yes I did AND I also posted the 50 year averages, did you see them? You will find Vancouver and London to have practically identical temperature ranges Summer and Winter, it also showed that Vancouver has around 800mm of rain per year EIGHT HUNDRED! That is more than London and certainly a LOT more than anywhere in the Med! Go back and look at the 'averages', incidently what did you make of the June 2018 report and the December 2017 report? Did you see how 'similar' the weather was in Vancouver and London? Did you see how different both were to Paphos!!

Here are TODAYS weather reports 5th December across the Med:-

Alicante 23 deg C, Sunny
Barcelona 19 deg C, Sunny
Corfu 20 deg C, Sunny
Faro 20 deg C, Sunny
Ibiza 19 deg C, Sunny
Las Palmas 24 deg C, Sunny
Luxor 23 deg C, Sunny
Madeira 23 deg C, Sunny
Majorca 19 deg C, Fair
Malaga 22 deg C, Sunny
Marrakesh 26 deg C, Sunny
Nice 18 deg C, Sunny
Nicosia 19 deg C, Showers
Rome 18 deg C, Sunny
Tel Aviv 21 deg C, Fair
&
Vancouver 6 deg C - yes SIX deg C (thats 6 degrees LESS than London today!!), Sunny

Can anybody spot the odd one out!!? If Vancouver is supposed to be a Med climate then I am the President of the USA!
Well, you are kind of acting like the current one a bit

Vancouver was 6C degrees today. We are having a bit of chilly spell. It could also very well be 12C today. Don't confuse weather and climate.

Old 12-05-2018, 05:00 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
Vancouver was 6C degrees today. We are having a bit of chilly spell. It could also very well be 12C today. Don't confuse weather and climate.
We had a high of 12C in SoCal today. That's cold for us; average is 18C which would match up better with the Med. temperatures posted.

Old 12-05-2018, 05:04 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:
Well, you are kind of acting like the current one a bit

Maybe it could but it sure as hell ain't going to regularly be in the low 20's like the Med is it!!! 6 degrees is about 'par for the course' for Vancouver in December lol. Besides I've posted the yearly averages as well don't forget - here they are again

I want everybody to look at this:-

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/...couver/climate
https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/...ampton/climate

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/...paphos/climate
https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/spain/palma/climate

Now can ANYBODY justify WHY Vancouver should be 'lumped' in with the bottom two climates and NOT with Southampton? To even suggest it is the most ridiculous thing I've heard on this site..........ever!

Vancouver - Med climate, bollox!

Old 12-05-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Maybe it could but it sure as hell ain't going to regularly be in the low 20's like the Med is it!!! 6 degrees is about 'par for the course' for Vancouver in December lol. Besides I've posted the yearly averages as well don't forget - here they are again

I want everybody to look at this:-

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/...couver/climate
https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/...ampton/climate

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/...paphos/climate
https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/spain/palma/climate

Now can ANYBODY justify WHY Vancouver should be 'lumped' in with the bottom two climates and NOT with Southampton? To even suggest it is the most ridiculous thing I've heard on this site..........ever!

Vancouver - Med climate, bollox!
It's not lumped in with Paphos and Palma - they're Csa (hot summer Mediterranean), while Vancouver is borderline Csb ( warm summer Mediterranean)

Old 12-05-2018, 05:12 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
It's not lumped in with Paphos and Palma they're Csa (hot summer Mediterranean), while Vancouver is borderline Csb ( warm summer Mediterranean)
And Southampton? where is that on the Mediterranean scale!! looool

Old 12-05-2018, 05:15 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
We had a high of 12C in SoCal today. That's cold for us; average is 18C which would match up better with the Med. temperatures posted.

It's just weather, I think you folks in SoCal are getting the same clear, sunny high pressure cold front from the Arctic that we're getting up here, that's been shooting south straight down the west coast this week. It should start warming up more for you by Saturday when the next low pressure system coming from the west off the Pacific is forecast to come in. We in the PNW will end up getting rain and warmer temperatures with that system.

Old 12-05-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
And Southampton? where is that on the Mediterranean scale!! looool
It's 2:1 ratio isn't regarded as indicating a significant influence from semi permanent high pressure zone during summer - it has the typical feature of oceanic climates, which is more frequent low pressure during summers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World