Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2018, 04:51 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,280,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Vancouver, probably because of this.

They have palm trees in Tokyo, Germany or Oklahoma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 04:52 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:

Southern England also has palms, so I guess that got thrown in a well. London? No.

Okanagan, I can see because at times of the year, it does feel very Mediterranean, or at least what most think of as Mediterranean.
Here is a picture of a palm in London if you want one, also a park in the Isles of Scilly Cornwall, this is a very palmy place, if Vancouver 'feels' very Mediterranean then Southern England must do too no? The temperature, sunshine hours, rain are similar? The reality is 7 degree winter highs do not 'feel' very Mediterranean.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/favers...ry/16783561106
https://www.cornwalls.co.uk/attracti...ey-gardens.htm

I am still 'failing' to see the difference?

Old 12-03-2018, 04:59 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,733,717 times
Quote:

Southern England also has palms, so I guess that got thrown in a well. London? No.

Okanagan, I can see because at times of the year, it does feel very Mediterranean, or at least what most think of as Mediterranean.
Those palms thrive in very unmediterranean places such as Scotland or Germany. London has palms too, and more tender ones than Vancouver at that, as it's warmer:
https://goo.gl/maps/YQj3Q6tTJEu

It doesn't stop it from being considerably cloudier and more unsettled than Vancouver in summer though, hence not mediterranean.

Old 12-03-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Those palms thrive in very unmediterranean places such as Scotland or Germany. London has palms too, and more tender ones than Vancouver at that, as it's warmer:
https://goo.gl/maps/YQj3Q6tTJEu

It doesn't stop it from being considerably cloudier and more unsettled than Vancouver in summer though, hence not mediterranean.
The sunshine hours are practically identical, see the link. both places grow palms, have vineyards, the Southern coasts of the UK are dryer but similar for rainfall, the temperatures are almost identical, its all in the links I posted, so again I ask, what is the difference?

Old 12-03-2018, 05:08 PM

Quote:
My point about sunshine hours was to counter the points about Vancouver and London being the same, when they are not.

There are many places in BC, that have more sunshine than Vancouver.
Did you see the links I posted about Southampton? Even closer to Vancouvers climate than London! Of course like BC the south of England has variations yet like BC they are ALL Oceanic.

Old 12-03-2018, 05:10 PM

So besides Vancouver or London what is you all's favorite city with Mediterranean climate?

Old 12-03-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustermannBB View Post
So besides Vancouver or London what is you all's favorite city with Mediterranean climate?
Southampton! :-D, joking! Paphos (or anywhere on Cyprus) for me:-

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/...paphos/climate

Because its an island its not too hot in the Summer (low 30's), 8 degree C Winter lows.............lovely.

Old 12-03-2018, 05:15 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
The sunshine hours are practically identical, see the link. both places grow palms, have vineyards, the Southern coasts of the UK are dryer but similar for rainfall, the temperatures are almost identical, its all in the links I posted, so again I ask, what is the difference?
Classification is the difference -different dynamics due to geographical proximity to summer high pressure zones.

It's a deeper understanding thing.

Old 12-03-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Southampton! :-D, joking! Paphos (or anywhere on Cyprus) for me.

Hard to go wrong with Cyprus indeed. Also quick dash away from Beirut as an added bonus IMHO.

Old 12-03-2018, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Classification is the difference -different dynamics due to geographical proximity to summer high pressure zones.

It's a deeper understanding thing.
Well it must be, because nobody seems to be able to explain what it is (probably because you can't argue with the actual stats - see previous links)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World