Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2020, 02:32 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times

Advertisements

Depends on where in the US?

New England? Not at all. New England's HDI and QOL is comparable to Luxembourg and the Netherlands.
Mid Atlantic? No. Its comparable to Germany or Sweden.
MidWest? Nope. Also comparable to Germany or Sweden in HDI and QOL.
Southeast? Maybe, the Deep South for sure.
Southwest? Maybe in parts.
Rocky Mountains? No
West Coast? No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2020, 12:13 PM

27,547 posts, read 28,630,498 times
It has been 15 years since I went to Italy. I think it is time for another visit.

But I need to learn more Italian this time and not embarrass myself in front of the ladies. They kept laughing at me last time.

Old 01-10-2020, 01:50 PM

7,320 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
These days they learn English at school. Those who have the opportunity to practice it can probably speak it. Those who do not get to practice will probably not. Same as in Japan, China and many other places.
French used to be widely taught but now I believe it is English.
Pretty much the same as in the USA. Four years of high school language doesn't really do it.

PS We were watching an Italian TV -Inspector Manara on Amazon. It's in Italian with english subtitles. It's a cute show. My daughter had four years in high school and two years in college. She couldn't believe how fast they were talking and how hard it was to keep up.

Old 01-10-2020, 02:40 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,304,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Pretty much the same as in the USA. Four years of high school language doesn't really do it.

PS We were watching an Italian TV -Inspector Manara on Amazon. It's in Italian with english subtitles. It's a cute show. My daughter had four years in high school and two years in college. She couldn't believe how fast they were talking and how hard it was to keep up.
The only cousin in Italy who is fluent in English is the one who studied it at university. She is quite shy and it took a while for her to gain confidence but she seems to have retained her English well. Her husband and his sister both only studied English at school. They have all been to Australia once (too far for them to return!) and we noticed how well they were starting to use English over the month they were here. I remember commenting that if they had another couple of months here they would be fluent. Also, no doubt, the English they learnt would not have been Aussie English.

Yes the speed is the problem, I guess with most languages. You have to ask them to speak slowly.

Old 01-11-2020, 02:33 AM

7,503 posts, read 6,285,226 times
Quote:

Well that's the same for every language. I have been speaking English for over two decades and have no problem writing and reading, but even though I always watch movies in English, if I don't pay enough attention I sometimes misunderstand half of what is said.

Old 01-11-2020, 06:51 AM

4,936 posts, read 3,309,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Your post is interesting but this part is questionable. I mean, it's super easy to find high quality vegetables for cheap, and the part about internet controlled by the EU made me cringe a bit.
The internet controlled by EU. The GDPR privacy law. In EU one is blocked from several USA sites think news sites, hospital sites, even Hobby Lobby is blocked. An american asked about this on a Reddit group. I tell him I too have this problem. Defenders of GDPR say is the US internet sites are at fault because they did not apply EU privacy rules to their american sites so since they can not comply the sites are blocked.
Some folks complained who want access to all internet sites without all this grief. Still waiting............and waiting...........
Example.......I was trying to visit dallasnews.com .............

I get screen Thanks for your patience.
Dear Visitor unfortunately our site is unavailable to visitors from European Union.....

The GDPR text www.gdpr-info.eu

Old 01-11-2020, 07:05 AM

4,936 posts, read 3,309,602 times
Quote:
I was in Rome two years ago. The waiters and store clerks knew enough English to take orders. Not enough to hold conservations.

Small towns and further south - Italians don't speak English.
After high school graduation, my daughter and her dad did a vacation/holiday few weeks by car in Italy and she says the same about the english language proficiency.They liked Italy as tourists very beautiful, but not as a place to live. And the S/O says driving there is nightmare...

Tuscany: From Florence, Visit Tuscany, Chianti, Siena, Pisa

Old 01-11-2020, 08:13 AM

7,320 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys52SoSilver View Post
After high school graduation, my daughter and her dad did a vacation/holiday few weeks by car in Italy and she says the same about the english language proficiency.They liked Italy as tourists very beautiful, but not as a place to live. And the S/O says driving there is nightmare...

Tuscany: From Florence, Visit Tuscany, Chianti, Siena, Pisa
Years ago, my husband insisted renting a stick shift car in Italy. To began with, first gear was where second gear should be. Then reverse gear was where first gear is normally. I don't know if these different positions were European or just this car's design. It took awhile for us to adjust.

Then husband was stalling out going up 45 degree switch back hills. Some Italians told him to go up in first gear and that seemed to do the trick.

It was a rough start to our vacation.

As for the other drivers, Italians are better drivers than Massachusetts drivers! I was pleasantly surprised.

Old 01-13-2020, 02:02 PM

6,540 posts, read 12,032,561 times
Quote:
Years ago, my husband insisted renting a stick shift car in Italy. To began with, first gear was where second gear should be. Then reverse gear was where first gear is normally. I don't know if these different positions were European or just this car's design. It took awhile for us to adjust.

Then husband was stalling out going up 45 degree switch back hills. Some Italians told him to go up in first gear and that seemed to do the trick.

It was a rough start to our vacation.

As for the other drivers, Italians are better drivers than Massachusetts drivers! I was pleasantly surprised.
What kind of car was it? I had an older BMW, and the reverse gear was in the far top left and 1st gear was right next to it. Yeah, the hills are no joke there. I had to learn the trick of slightly pressing down on the gas and clutch instead of the brake when I had to stop uphill.

Old 01-14-2020, 01:21 AM

7,503 posts, read 6,285,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys52SoSilver View Post
The internet controlled by EU. The GDPR privacy law. In EU one is blocked from several USA sites think news sites, hospital sites, even Hobby Lobby is blocked. An american asked about this on a Reddit group. I tell him I too have this problem. Defenders of GDPR say is the US internet sites are at fault because they did not apply EU privacy rules to their american sites so since they can not comply the sites are blocked.
Some folks complained who want access to all internet sites without all this grief. Still waiting............and waiting...........
Example.......I was trying to visit dallasnews.com .............

I get screen Thanks for your patience.
Dear Visitor unfortunately our site is unavailable to visitors from European Union.....

The GDPR text www.gdpr-info.eu

ah yeah, but the privacy law is useful in the end I think. I think these US sites should just try to adapt to the EU law and there would be no issue.

The way you said it, I thought you meant it was dictatorship or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World