Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What country in the world has the most FREEDOM?
USA 31 31.63%
Canada 16 16.33%
Mexico 2 2.04%
Australia 6 6.12%
Czech Republic 0 0%
Netherlands 6 6.12%
Hungary 2 2.04%
Romania 0 0%
Denmark 2 2.04%
Finland 4 4.08%
Norway 6 6.12%
Sweden 2 2.04%
United Kingdom 1 1.02%
Greece 1 1.02%
Italy 1 1.02%
Spain 0 0%
Turkey 0 0%
Germany 0 0%
Switzerland 4 4.08%
Colombia 2 2.04%
Philippines 0 0%
Japan 2 2.04%
Thailand 0 0%
Brazil 0 0%
Other 10 10.20%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 06:17 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
You call this an "articulate and persuasive argument?

Furthermore, your long long long long link contains the word "freedom" only four times, all four modified as "political freedom", without making even a tangential reference to personal freedom, which is the topic of this thread, as specified clearly in the introduction by the OP.

Mind if I quote you?
Oh, all right then; here's another link that sets out to measure "personal/individual freedom" by country:

https://freedomhouse.org/report/free...dom-world-2018

Easy-peazy 'hover your cursor over the country' link I think addresses your noted dislike of long, long, long links.

It serves to confirm my earlier posted link; that of the failed state of Somalia attaining a rating of 7 out of 100 points. Strangely enough it reflects those low scores for the measure of individual freedoms for all of the "failing" states.

Then there's also this one, but it too is long and will require you to scroll to page 10:

https://object.cato.org/sites/cato.o...18-revised.pdf

You will have to read the methodology used to perform these measurements but they are both fairly parallel in the metrics they chose.

Of course I don't mind you quoting me; especially since it served no relevant purpose whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 07:07 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,211,939 times
So, since you have done all that research, what is your answer to the poll question, and your reason for that choice? Or, if you have no clear choice, which countries are in the running? I named one and explained why. Your turn.

By the way, the Cato Institute is nowhere near being an objective source of analysis, and doesn't pretend to be.. Anyone would wait that long for their site to open is probably a member of the choir they are preaching to.

Last edited by cebuan; 02-25-2019 at 07:19 PM..

Old 02-26-2019, 07:05 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,022,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
I'm thinking probably somewhere in Eastern Europe.
yes, most of EE except belarus. As well as korea, japan, israel.

Old 02-27-2019, 02:52 AM

Which begs a question. If freedom is such a wonderful thing, why doesn't at least one country go all out and give its people a huge helping of it?

Suppose the country with the most freedom has actually gone past the balance point, where its overdose of freedom is actually a detriment, and it may be a potential "failed state" because its surplus of freedom is making it ungovernable in terms of civil order.

Old 02-27-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Which begs a question. If freedom is such a wonderful thing, why doesn't at least one country go all out and give its people a huge helping of it?

Suppose the country with the most freedom has actually gone past the balance point, where its overdose of freedom is actually a detriment, and it may be a potential "failed state" because its surplus of freedom is making it ungovernable in terms of civil order.
No one is begging that question other than yourself. You seem to be attempting to create a paradox where there isn't one, nor needs to be one. Why?

Old 02-27-2019, 09:20 AM

54 posts, read 26,737 times
Quote:
Anyone would wait that long for their site to open is probably a member of the choir they are preaching to.

You need a new computer, buddy.

Old 02-27-2019, 05:55 PM

Largely, personal freedom consists of "freedom from bureaucracy" In every country, people spend nearly all their lives going about their daily business completely free of government restriction. When government does hinder, it is usually in the form of the bureaucratic requirements that precede what will finally be permitted. Picture banks or utility payment windows that are the equivalent to the DMV.

Even in the least free of countries, you are free to live, work, study, marry, travel, shop, without official government prohibition, but may face a mountain of paperwork or certification to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor herself View Post
You need a new computer, buddy.
First, no I don't "need" a new computer, and I don't even want one.
Second, the wait time included scanning time to read down to page 38 and get to the point the poster thought (wrongly) was germane to the point.

Last edited by cebuan; 02-27-2019 at 06:28 PM..

Old 02-27-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Largely, personal freedom consists of "freedom from bureaucracy" In every country, people spend nearly all their lives going about their daily business completely free of government restriction. When government does hinder, it is usually in the form of the bureaucratic requirements that precede what will finally be permitted. Picture banks or utility payment windows that are the equivalent to the DMV.

Even in the least free of countries, you are free to live, work, study, marry, travel, shop, without official government prohibition, but may face a mountain of paperwork or certification to do so.

First, no I don't "need" a new computer, and I don't even want one.
Second, the wait time included scanning time to read down to page 38 and get to the point the poster thought (wrongly) was germane to the point.
That was what you stated you wanted; additional links to more informative information, but now you complain about the time it takes you to actually make an effort to assimilate it?

As I indicated to assist with your efforts, all you needed was to scroll to page ten to answer the only question you've posed so far, to wit: why those countries considered 'failed states' would not be considered 'more free' than civilized and developed first world countries.

All the links I've provided contain that info in measuring individual freedoms and rating those countries using metrics of measurement clearly explained...you don't accept the rationale of any of the surveys it would seem, as they all agree.

I'll see your germane and raise you a geranium.

Last edited by BruSan; 02-27-2019 at 07:35 PM..

Old 02-27-2019, 08:13 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
What country in the world allows it's citizens the most personal freedom? A country with lax laws. I'm thinking probably somewhere in Eastern Europe. Your thoughts?

I think you would have to define freedom. One man's freedom is another man's confinement / oppression. So can you define what freedoms there are that you believe all people would agree are personal freedoms?

Old 02-28-2019, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I think you would have to define freedom. One man's freedom is another man's confinement / oppression. So can you define what freedoms there are that you believe all people would agree are personal freedoms?

Finally, someone has asked why the cart is proceeding the horse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World