Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is a better City if you're filthy rich: London or New York?
London 48 48.48%
New York 51 51.52%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2019, 07:44 AM

27,215 posts, read 13,508,926 times

Advertisements

Some of the very rich in London have built mega-basements under thie homes.

Map reveals 4,650 mega-basements dug beneath London - Daily Mail

Others have so many homes they rarely even live in them, and some wealthy London streets are merely inhabitated by staff looking after properties.

One thing that may lead to less dodgy monet being invested in property in London is the new Unexplained Wealth Orders (UWO) which allows the authorities to demand that certain individuals explain their wealth.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2019, 08:50 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,339,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
As much as love NYC, London would be my move. It has every much the cultural diversity & big city feel as NYC, but with arguably a better climate and in terms of geographic location blows NYC off the planet in terms exotic location accessibility due to it's immediate access to Europe and relative close proximity to Asia & Africa.
NYC is closer to Latin America, which is a huge plus if you're into Latin and Caribbean culture

Old 10-24-2019, 09:59 AM

163 posts, read 138,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
NYC is closer to Latin America, which is a huge plus if you're into Latin and Caribbean culture
Can't hold a handle against the EU.

Old 10-24-2019, 10:06 AM

27,609 posts, read 28,714,640 times
It would be a toss-up for me, as I think both cities are pretty comparable.

But the real issue is becoming filthy rich in the first place, which most of us are not.

Old 10-24-2019, 04:34 PM

14,822 posts, read 12,045,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonHippy View Post
I'd rather live in NYC, and I've never even been there as a tourist. I've been to London 4x, however, and I can say that I would not ever care to live there. I can't imagine being surrounded by British people all the time. Besides, I find their love of the royal family - and the class system there - annoying.
Irene is that you! :-D

Old 10-24-2019, 07:56 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,969,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backpaker View Post
London is one of the most overrated cities in Europe, Given the choice and I were very richand in Europe, I would live in Paris rather than London.

New York City is a fantastic city if you have money to spend, so my answer will be New York City. London is just boring.
London is not over rated but it is seriously over priced. If you want to compare it to Paris, then yes Paris is cheaper on most all fronts, especially public transport but also greater possibility of finding somewhere less expensive, with a bit of work involved than London. Still not an easy city to live though, much smaller so easier to transverse with more a Southern feel especially in summer, giving a vibe unattainable in London.
London pays more but has over recent decades become too consumed in my view with money and over work. Still a great city and will be in London and New York as well as Paris next summer and hope to be able to gauge an up to date assessment as to the preferable city.
I suspect as always these cities will each win out on different categories on their own merits. The likelihood will be a draw of sorts depending on individual order of importance.

Old 10-25-2019, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
irene is that you! :-d
😂😂😂

Old 10-25-2019, 09:55 AM

37,207 posts, read 39,488,121 times
How rich is filthy rich? Like, can I buy better transit for NYC? Can I bring frequent train lines through-running in the urban core linking the Hudson River Valley with the Berkshires, the Adirondacks, Long Island beaches, and Jersey shore? Can I buy nice sleeper cars going down to Miami and Quebec City?

Old 10-25-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
How rich is filthy rich? Like, can I buy better transit for NYC? Can I bring frequent train lines through-running in the urban core linking the Hudson River Valley with the Berkshires, the Adirondacks, Long Island beaches, and Jersey shore? Can I buy nice sleeper cars going down to Miami and Quebec City?
Extremely rich.

Old 10-25-2019, 11:10 AM

1,891 posts, read 1,687,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You bought a Yacht, have supercars worth 500 000 euros, buy a Breguet worth 100k like we go buy a TV screen. You have a villa you go to 2 months a year, 5 hours by your private Falcon, but you pay 30 people to maintain it **** and span all year long so any day you come and it's ready (same for yacht crew)...
Stuffs like that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World