Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is a better City if you're filthy rich: London or New York?
London 48 48.48%
New York 51 51.52%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 07:27 AM

138 posts, read 73,668 times

Advertisements

Difficult choice. In London I would want to live in the Kensington Palace Gardens, the most decadent street in town at the entrance of the Hyde Park. In NYC, I don't know, maybe a penthouse at Central Park or a mansion in Greenwich...
I've seen comments about London and better climate, which is just bizarre to me. That would be a major reason for me to choose USA over England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2019, 10:18 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeesterJ View Post
I've seen comments about London and better climate, which is just bizarre to me. That would be a major reason for me to choose USA over England.
Manhattan experiences FRIGID temperatures as early as November and into the winter months, while on average London is around ten degrees warmer and rarely below freezing.

In July-August, Manhattan can experience hot and muggy days, sometimes into the 90s, very unpleasant, while on average London is around ten degrees cooler.

Yes, London experiences more precipitation than Manhattan, but almost never snow, while the latter is hardly what one calls sun-drenched.

Overall, London climate is more temperate than Manhattan, nothing bizarre about that.

Manhattan can be lovely in June and upstate New York in late September/October, while the English countryside is verdant, beautiful in its own right.

It seems like a mostly balanced comparison to me, but hardly bizarre in any way.

Old 12-10-2019, 11:18 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,599,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Yes, London experiences more precipitation than Manhattan
No it doesn't. Central Park averages more than double the annual precipitation of London (1268mm vs 602mm).

The driest month in NYC is February, with 78mm. London's wettest month is October, with 69mm.

NYC averages 66cm of snowfall per year, London averages <5cm.

Old 12-10-2019, 11:52 AM

27,571 posts, read 28,673,621 times
This is where I would like to live if I were filthy rich:

https://www.432parkavenue.com/

Apparently, the condos are only $28 million. That's a piece of cake. lol

Old 12-10-2019, 04:51 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
No it doesn't. Central Park averages more than double the annual precipitation of London (1268mm vs 602mm).

The driest month in NYC is February, with 78mm. London's wettest month is October, with 69mm.

NYC averages 66cm of snowfall per year, London averages <5cm.
The difference though is the rain in London is a lot of times a drizzly, days on end affair, whereas in NYC it is a typical day or part time shower. It gives the impression that London gets a lot of rain, but not too much, it is just spread over a lot more days.

Old 12-11-2019, 02:40 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,599,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
The difference though is the rain in London is a lot of times a drizzly, days on end affair, whereas in NYC it is a typical day or part time shower. It gives the impression that London gets a lot of rain, but not too much, it is just spread over a lot more days.
London has rain on 109 days per year, and even then most rainfall is showery and doesn't last long (maybe 1-3 hours in winter and 5-30 mins in summer).

It very rarely rains non stop for days on end.

Old 12-14-2019, 10:19 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
London has rain on 109 days per year, and even then most rainfall is showery and doesn't last long (maybe 1-3 hours in winter and 5-30 mins in summer).

It very rarely rains non stop for days on end.
I should have been clearer, meant also to add number of cloudy days as well, the place is cloudy often enough, gives the impression it is a rainy place like Seattle of something.

Old 12-15-2019, 08:42 AM

138 posts, read 73,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Manhattan experiences FRIGID temperatures as early as November and into the winter months, while on average London is around ten degrees warmer and rarely below freezing.

In July-August, Manhattan can experience hot and muggy days, sometimes into the 90s, very unpleasant, while on average London is around ten degrees cooler.

Yes, London experiences more precipitation than Manhattan, but almost never snow, while the latter is hardly what one calls sun-drenched.

Overall, London climate is more temperate than Manhattan, nothing bizarre about that.

Manhattan can be lovely in June and upstate New York in late September/October, while the English countryside is verdant, beautiful in its own right.

It seems like a mostly balanced comparison to me, but hardly bizarre in any way.
Great, temperatures in winter should be frigid. There should be a decent chance for snow as well. Summer should be hot. So you can see how I stand by my statement, living in Holland in a climate that resembles the nothingness of London

Old 12-15-2019, 09:18 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,182 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeesterJ View Post
Great, temperatures in winter should be frigid. There should be a decent chance for snow as well. Summer should be hot. So you can see how I stand by my statement, living in Holland in a climate that resembles the nothingness of London
You do get snow in London, and you do get hot summers, however the tempreture is usually comfortable rather than extreme.

As for the rich, they can hop on a private jet at one of London's many airfields and can be in the South of France and mediterranean coast within 2 hours.

Old 12-16-2019, 06:58 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,182 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Tamara Ecclestone has just had £50 million worth' of jewellery stolen from her London home.

Some unfortunate insurance company could be receiving a massive claim.

Tamara Ecclestone: '£50m worth' of jewellery stolen from heiress' - BBC News

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World