Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is a better City if you're filthy rich: London or New York?
London 48 48.48%
New York 51 51.52%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 11:59 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,173,463 times

Advertisements

I have a question - define "filthy rich". As in, in terms of net worth, are we talking about:

- $15 million USD+
- $25 million USD+
- $50 million USD+
- $100 m - 1 billion USD+

It would help provide some context, as one of the top questions an ultra high net worth family/individual would ask before relocating anywhere is - what are my tax implications if I were to change my permanent residency? There are some huge legal and tax regime differences between the U.S. and the UK, which can easily tip the balance of this decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2020, 05:12 PM

330 posts, read 293,941 times
Currently living in NYC. I haven’t been to London yet so I can’t comment on London and I don’t know if I want to live there. But I have been to Tokyo, Hong Kong and Singapore and I would much rather live in NYC over any of these cities.

If I were filthy rich, I would split my time between Manhattan NYC, Los Angeles and San Francisco and buy mansions in each. NYC, LA and SF are hands down my top three cities in the country after traveling back and forth between all major west and east coast cities over the years.

At least in the US, NYC is really one of a kind city that is unparalleled in its depth and influence. There is no where like Manhattan and there will probably never be.

Old 07-28-2020, 01:18 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
I have a question - define "filthy rich". As in, in terms of net worth, are we talking about:

- $15 million USD+
- $25 million USD+
- $50 million USD+
- $100 m - 1 billion USD+

It would help provide some context, as one of the top questions an ultra high net worth family/individual would ask before relocating anywhere is - what are my tax implications if I were to change my permanent residency? There are some huge legal and tax regime differences between the U.S. and the UK, which can easily tip the balance of this decision.
The main difference being the UK authorities will only tax you for money made in the UK and terms of investments many wealthy people have offshore accounts, so evade most tax.

As for property tax, London has far lower taxes than NYC.

In terms of filthy rich, it's usually billionaires rows these days and London has a number of these type of areas.

Old 07-28-2020, 11:51 AM

6,562 posts, read 12,044,134 times
It's a close one but I would choose London. I've actually thought about living there, although I've thought about the Hudson Valley area of New York as well. But in 2020, I may be better off in London although I'm not sure how the Brexit situation will affect the city and country. Anyhow, I feel like London looks a bit more relaxed and less of an urban jungle than New York. I also always thought it's like an Anglo/English speaking version of Tokyo, and has more diversity which is one advantage it has over my favorite city where you pretty much have to be Japanese and be able to read, write, speak Japanese fluently to live and work there.

Old 10-11-2020, 03:26 PM

103 posts, read 100,972 times
London for me. New York was founded by the Duke of York from Britain.

Old 10-12-2020, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphire Dragon View Post
London for me. New York was founded by the Duke of York from Britain.
In answer to the question you keep ansking Sapphire - Fitzrovia is more of a shopping and bustling business district than a residential area.

Notting Hill is a gentrified area, and is now an expensive area.

However Mayfair, Belgravia, Knightsbridge,Kensington and Chelsea etc are the traditional wealthy inner London areas.

I hope this s of use to you.

Old 07-22-2021, 08:11 AM

Chinese billionaire given green light to build £500million central London palace - Evening Standard

Old 07-22-2021, 12:09 PM

626 posts, read 463,777 times
London just isn't that "cool" to me for a huge variety of reasons. I'm sure deep down most people know what they are.. Plus the U.K. is just way too insignificant to even consider living in in the first place. And now that they've left the E.U.? Wow what a mistake that was.

Old 07-22-2021, 01:12 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popka View Post
London just isn't that "cool" to me for a huge variety of reasons. I'm sure deep down most people know what they are.. Plus the U.K. is just way too insignificant to even consider living in in the first place. And now that they've left the E.U.? Wow what a mistake that was.
Hello Irene!

Old 07-22-2021, 02:01 PM

89 posts, read 49,188 times
If you filthy rich why would anyone want to live in big citties
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World