Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 07:03 PM

766 posts, read 1,255,012 times

Advertisements

Upon reflection, I feel it's safe to say that our country has the best food in the world. Not necessarily based on quality, although they are plenty of quality restaurants. I think it's more because of variety. We are simply an extremely diverse country, possibly the most diverse with respect to countries represented. Just in a one mile radius of where I live in Houston, I can get mexican, salvadorean, bolivian, colombian, vietnamese, korean, chinese, japense, indian, pakistanian, iranian, and much much much more. In hindsight, it's quite incredible.

Last edited by philopower; 06-19-2014 at 07:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 07:12 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,813,270 times
Australia could give you a run for your money. Our produce is also of a higher quality. You also lack possibly the greatest cuisine in the world, at least Asia, and one of the most under-represented, Malaysian.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:17 PM

10,021 posts, read 8,646,805 times
I would definitely say we are the food capital of the world. Seems like every immigrant that comes here looks at how malnourished we look and decides we can use another restaurant. Look how many ethnic cooking shows are on tv these days. As soon as the one I am watching is over, I think I'll go out to eat at my favorite scarfing establishment and get my fill. Tomorrow I need to make a doctor appointment and find out why my feet are hurting so much.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:24 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,949,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Australia could give you a run for your money. Our produce is also of a higher quality. You also lack possibly the greatest cuisine in the world, at least Asia, and one of the most under-represented, Malaysian.
Took me less than a minute to find this one

Banana Leaf | Malaysian Cuisine

That's just in Philadelphia. You can find Malaysian restaurants in any top 10 major city here.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:32 PM

766 posts, read 1,255,012 times
Quote:
Your produce may be of higher quality, but Australia is not even close. The only other country that is remotely close is probably England but that country automatically fails because finding an excellent Mexican restaurant is next to impossible . Believe me, I speak from experience. Also we have plenty of malay restaurants here, just saying.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:51 PM

938 posts, read 1,516,258 times
Yes we do have the best cuisine. America both invents its own dishes, and reinvents dishes from the Old World and make them 100% American. For example, New York pizza and California sushi rolls are two dishes that are part of American cuisine, not Italian or Japanese.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:55 PM

131 posts, read 168,597 times
Quote:
Where I used to live in NYC, there were Malaysian restaurants everywhere, you wouldn't believe how popular pad thai is in southern California and Malaysian dishes are.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:04 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times
I have to agree in general, in regards to variety coupled with quality, the US comes out on top. While the US run of the mill establishments generally suck, there are numerous quality places to choose from if a person takes one ounce of energy to do so. The US has about everything, from BBQ to Ethiopian. It can get difficult to find some items depending where you live, but taking the US as a whole, if it exists, most likely the US has it.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Took me less than a minute to find this one

Banana Leaf | Malaysian Cuisine

That's just in Philadelphia. You can find Malaysian restaurants in any top 10 major city here.
In Portland there was one that closed down. Maybe in LA, SF, NY, Houston, Philly, Seattle there's a few, but nothing like what we have here. In most of the US it's unknown, in fact none of my American friends have even tried it.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
Your produce may be of higher quality, but Australia is not even close. The only other country that is remotely close is probably England but that country automatically fails because finding an excellent Mexican restaurant is next to impossible . Believe me, I speak from experience. Also we have plenty of malay restaurants here, just saying.
Not even close? Have you even been here? Melbourne is considered one of the culinary centres of the world.

In Melbourne you can find great Italian, Greek, German, French, traditional British, Polish, Russian, Lebanese, Turkish, Persian, Arabic, even Yemeni, Ethiopian, Sudanese, Egyptian, a variety of authentic Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Thai, Lao, Cambodian, Malaysian, Indonesian, Vietnamese, Filipino, Hawaiian, 'bush-tucker', Argentinian, Brazilian, Peruvian, Mexican, traditional American, among others.

Don't judge if you haven't properly experienced the culinary scene here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World