Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2014, 01:32 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times

Advertisements

American fast food causes obesity? No - fast food in general causes obesity. It just so happens that the largest fast food chains are American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 01:33 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
Upon reflection, I feel it's safe to say that our country has the best food in the world. Not necessarily based on quality, although they are plenty of quality restaurants. I think it's more because of variety. We are simply an extremely diverse country, possibly the most diverse with respect to countries represented. Just in a one mile radius of where I live in Houston, I can get mexican, salvadorean, bolivian, colombian, vietnamese, korean, chinese, japense, indian, pakistanian, iranian, and much much much more. In hindsight, it's quite incredible.
Upon reflection, I would have to disagree. I'm glad though that you separated quality from diversity, since the US is known for having additives and hormones that are illegal in other countries. On quality overall, the US fails. Not to say you can't find quality in the US, you can, but you pay extra for it and have to search it out more.

As for diversity? There is certainly a larger scale of diversity within certain cities in the US than the same scale in Europe. However places like Canada have just as much diversity. There isn't one cuisine you've listed that isn't available in my town.

How much travelling outside of the US have you done?

Old 06-20-2014, 01:36 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
American fast food causes obesity? No - fast food in general causes obesity. It just so happens that the largest fast food chains are American.
My city (lived here for a good 10 years) has 2 McDonalds, 2 Burger Kings, Taco Bell and many more. why aren't i obese yet? this is weird.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:40 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
My city (lived here for a good 10 years) has 2 McDonalds, 2 Burger Kings, Taco Bell and many more. why aren't i obese yet? this is weird.
Because you have to eat there, just having them in town doesn't make you fat LOL

Seriously, it depends on how often you eat there and your lifestyle. There is NO denying fast fried greasy sugar laden food makes people fat.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:40 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,437,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
In Portland there was one that closed down. Maybe in LA, SF, NY, Houston, Philly, Seattle there's a few, but nothing like what we have here. In most of the US it's unknown, in fact none of my American friends have even tried it.
Not entirely true. There are really good Malaysian restaurants all over the US .... even in small towns like Kalamazoo, MI

Rasa Ria - Kalamazoo, MI | Yelp
I've eaten the food here and it is great.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:47 PM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intensivecarebear View Post
This is hilarious comparing a country of 300 million + people to other countries in the world. The U.S. has some of the greatest wealth in the world, and if you have the money you can get almost anything.
Unfortunately the first majority of Americans eat inferior quality produce, overly processed food that has the minimal nutritional value, as well as high fructose corn syrup in the majority of products, and couldn't tell the difference between cilantro and celery if they're lives depended on it.
I live in Colombia, and on every street corner you can find fresh produce, doesn't matter if the neighborhood is poor or rich, and most of the produce is grown in the country and minimally processed. You can see it in the Colombian people: they tend to have better physiques and overall health compared to Americans, and the majority are much poorer. Everywhere I go I can find fresh cilantro (how many Americans have even heard of cilantro? hehe), tropical fruits, lettuce, different varieties of onions, tomatoes, bags of a dozen fresh oranges that cost about 2 dollars. You can get fresh-squeezed juices from hundreds of street carts here in Bogota.

So for me it doesn't matter that less than 1 percent of Americans have access to trendy Malaysian or Vietnamese restaurants and ethnic eateries, I know from plenty of experience living in the states that the vast majority of Americans eat second-rate food that's processed and hormone-injected, in spite of our country being "superior". Just go to the average American city and look around you! We're the fattest and unhealthiest developed country in the world by a huge margin. The majority of American cities are "food deserts", and no the yuppie Whole Foods with 5 dollar tomatoes doesn't make up for that.

Quality beats quantity hands down. Some people really need to leave the U.S. and broaden their perspective. It gets really annoying when Americans think they are the best at everything.
I agree largely with what you said but great food is available in the USA, just most people can't afford or choose to eat crappy processed food. I've worked in 12 different countries and visited many more and most had good food but nowhere I've been has had the variety that is available in the USA. I do wish more fresh fruit was available like in Bangkok or KL but you can get it if you shop for it.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:54 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Presumably because you don't go there very often, or remain active. Fast food is only bad when you consume it in excess - it's fine in moderation, like most things. Come on, man, engage your brain and think for yourself.

Old 06-20-2014, 03:23 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,247,806 times
If your city only has 2 McDonalds and 2 Burger Kings, it's not a city

As for the question posed: No it doesn't.

Old 06-20-2014, 04:23 PM

70 posts, read 163,840 times
Nope! Too many GMO's...And even without the GMO's, no it doesn't.

Old 06-20-2014, 05:39 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergodela View Post
You may have a higher foreign born population but do you realize how many divse groups have been living in America for generations, Australia is white and Asian thats it, come to California, NY, Chicago, Texas where its asian,hispanic, black, arab and white. USA is more diverse HANDS DOWN
<snip>
Plus we have a lot of actual Africans from Africa who bring their culture. In how many cities can you find places dominated by Ethiopian and Sudanese restaurants?

Last edited by Rozenn; 06-21-2014 at 06:54 AM.. Reason: Off topic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World