Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2021, 11:09 PM

5 posts, read 6,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
When I was a kid-to-teen in the 90's, there was a ton of British music on the radio, at least in Seattle and Boston. Off the top of my head, I can think of: Blur, Oasis, Lush, Bush, Prodigy, Suede, Republica, Sneaker Pimps, Massive Attack, Chemical Brothers, Radiohead, The Verve, and then of course you had some of the pop acts like Spice Girls, Robbie Williams, Jamiroquai, etc. It was actually fairly ubiquitous honestly.

The US didn't really experience any specific trend of nationalism during the 90's, except maybe at the very end towards 99 when the GOP ramped it up to try to get Bush elected. Honestly, it may have been one of if not the most outward-looking times in US history.

British hip hop didn't make as big a dent in the US market but that may be because it was on such a massive upswing domestically at the time... East coast/west coast etc.

In any case, no, the young population in the US definitely wasnt as ignorant or unaware as you make them out to be, at all.
You’re being too outwardly looking in this post

Why is there no recognition for American culture even when it’s so obvious? That’s my problem. “British hip hop”? Seriously? British hip-hop or hip-hop-derived music has NEVER been popular in the US. For obvious reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2021, 06:52 AM

81 posts, read 93,779 times
It's just that 80s Brit music was better. The 90s were more about American artists.
I mean Blur, Oasis, Lush, Bush, Prodigy, Suede, Republica, Sneaker Pimps, Massive Attack, Chemical Brothers, Radiohead, The Verve, Spice Girls, Robbie Williams, Jamiroquai are cool and all but I'd much rather listen to Orange Juice, Alison Moyet, Human League, ABC, Kim Wilde, Eurythmix, Thompson Twins, Howard Jones and even Bananarama etc. Aside from the Spice Girls, those later ones were more era-defining imo.

Last edited by Martinho; 06-01-2021 at 07:11 AM..

Old 06-02-2021, 04:39 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,525,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post

What about boybands that were all the rage in the 90's? Yet again East 17 did little outside Russia & Europe and Take That only a little more.

East 17
East 17 were big in Australia. Walthamstow reached number 5 and went Platinum. They toured in 1994 and again in 2012 and 2017. In fact I don't think they have toured any other country more than Australia apart from UK of course.

Old 06-02-2021, 05:16 AM

The second British invasion of the 80s could never be surpassed in the 90s. Especially after the fall from grace of Stock Aitken Waterman I suppose Europe was fed up with Brit music for a while. Then only the Spice Girls really got huge.

Old 06-05-2021, 09:25 AM

5,238 posts, read 4,064,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Loads, practically all.

Happy St. DAVID's Day everyone!

Love the way the Welsh say rage, e.g. ...

Catatonia (Road Rage)

Stereophonics

Manic Street Preachers

I’m a bit late in replying, but thanks! There’s some great Welsh bands you have there.

I think the 90’s were a great era for British bands. The 80’s were ok, but had a lot of cringey ballads, novelty records and that awful Stock, Aitken and Waterman. I much prefer the 90’s - it had better dance music, Madchester, Britpop and of course, “Cool Cymru” as you have shown above.

Old 06-06-2021, 12:14 AM

^A big WTF but to each their own.
Dire Straits, Queen, The Clash, Eurythmix, The Tourists, Orange Juice, Depeche Mode in the 80s were all great. And before SAW started sucking after 1988 they made some of the best dance hits ever - "Say I'm Your Number One", "Respectable", the "Venus" cover, "You Spin Me Round".

Old 06-06-2021, 02:33 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,064,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
I’m a bit late in replying, but thanks! There’s some great Welsh bands you have there.

I think the 90’s were a great era for British bands. The 80’s were ok, but had a lot of cringey ballads, novelty records and that awful Stock, Aitken and Waterman. I much prefer the 90’s - it had better dance music, Madchester, Britpop and of course, “Cool Cymru” as you have shown above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinho View Post
^A big WTF but to each their own.
Dire Straits, Queen, The Clash, Eurythmix, The Tourists, Orange Juice, Depeche Mode in the 80s were all great. And before SAW started sucking after 1988 they made some of the best dance hits ever - "Say I'm Your Number One", "Respectable", the "Venus" cover, "You Spin Me Round".
What do you mean “A big WTF”?!

I don’t know where you are from, but recently the BBC have been repeating all episodes of Top Of The Pops from the 80’s. Yes, there was some good stuff. But there was a lot of rubbish in the 80’s, too. There was more rubbish in the 80’s than in the 90’s - which makes the 90’s a better decade for music.

Like this absolute tripe from the 80’s…

Cringey Ballad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOZZ...&start_radio=1

Novelty Record:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cne6...&start_radio=1

Awful Stock, Aitken And Waterman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq29jO99i4E

But agree with you on Depeche Mode though - best band ever!

Old 06-07-2021, 07:43 AM

^It was better than the 90s imo. They dont call it the 2nd British invasion for no reason! The 80s had everything, especially 1980-1986.

The 80s Brit artists were the real deal.

Human League, Culture Club, King, Alison Moyet, Madness, Mel & Kim, Queen, David Bowie, Joe Jackson, Adam and the Ants, Haysi Fantayzee, Musical Youth, Princess, Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Cure, Orange Juice, The Smiths, Ultravox, Erasure, Thomas Dolby, Thompson Twins, Bronski Beat, Heaven 17, Howard Jones, Mica Paris, The Style Council, Sade, Swing Out Sister, Simply Red,

Old 06-16-2021, 05:17 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,728,855 times
Cool insights from everyone. Looks like 90's Brit music did better in the likes of Canada and especially Australia than I thought.

Old 06-16-2021, 05:30 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,728,855 times
To be honest I think every decade had its tripe. I mean the 90's had 'Mr Blobby', 'Bob thr Builder' and my guilty pleasure 'Cotton Eye Joe' although the Rednex were Sweedish.

However, I do feel the 90's were era defining in British pop culture and had more edge than much of the frivolity of the 80's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World