Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live and/or visit?
Georgia for both 10 41.67%
S. Korea for both 5 20.83%
Georgia for living, S. Korea for visiting 6 25.00%
S. Korea for living, Georgia for visiting 3 12.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2021, 11:15 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,586,145 times

Advertisements

While S Korea is very nice in many ways, Savannah Georgia is the only city I've ever visited that I actually liked. I've been all over the world, Savannah's historic district is nearly indescribable in it's beauty and charm.

The food is fantastic, the people I met there were very open and friendly.

Georgia also has some fantastic wildlands, good hunting, excellent fishing, it's just a wonderful place outside of the heat and occasional hurricane, I'd have no problem living there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2021, 12:34 PM

75 posts, read 108,070 times
Georgia USA not Caucasian Georgia but South Korea sounds nice.

Old 05-28-2021, 04:32 PM

37,156 posts, read 39,441,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
Isnt this such an odd thing to compare?
I lived in Korea 4 years. In land size, Georgia is larger than South Korea. Korea is quite hilly and mountains which leaves little land for people and farms. Korea has 50 million versus 10 million in Georgia. Because of so many people and little usable land, Korea stacks people up in large high rise apartments blocks. In many ways a lot of Korean cities look and feel the same. The income gap in Korea is very low and most people would be middle class. So poverty is low overall. The nation is 98% ethnically Korean. Things like racism aren't a thing compared to America but exists esp if you are not white. But thats my opinion. Tradition, culture and family is very strong especially with 98% ethnically korean. They eat the same things, do similar things, same general experiences. Keeping up with the Joneses scenario. Georgia seems more diverse than Korea.

AS an American in Korea, Korean foods is amazing and affordable, most koreans eat Korean food or for Korean palettes like pizza with corn. Lots of kimchi, red chili paste. Georgia has more diversity and variety due to history but also different cultures. So living there. I craved a lot of eating something not Korean food but it is good.

Korea has a super strong economy. It has a very high education focused society like other Asian countries. Have a high college graduate population. Big car makers like Hyundai or electronics like Samsung and LG. Big shipbuilding. Other things less tangible like export of kpop music culture, movies,, kdramas, and cuisine around the world. While America exports things too, Georgia specific is a fraction of America. There is media and rap in Georgia that someone outside can specifically point out.

In future, Korea is growing leaps and bounds. But there are so many limitations especially limited land . People piled on top of each other. Seems like every building 30 years old is knocked down for a 30 floor apartment, but I actually liked the old brick buildings. Korea gets richer esp with high educated country. North Korea issues do set back the south. Every male is required to do service and war drills are common in cities. Lots of us military bases in Korea. The economy grows. As people get richer and educated, the population is expected to stop growing. 2 kids max is normal. But some don't have kids 9r only 1. So the population will be like Japan with growing elder population. Korea Overall is up there with high speed rail, one of highest internet speeds in the world. Hosted Olympics, like Georgia.

Overall I rather live in America but maybe not Georgia. But the only other choice is Georgia. If you dont like Korean food, culture or dense cities then Korea isn't for you. Korean people are quite nice and helpful but most just speak only Korean so if you visit hoping to chat with locals, not for you.in more international areas like Italian or near US bases, you'll find more Korean English speakers. I do find Korea the most Americanized asain country other than Philippines. Its like 30% but high compared to other Asian countries. Could be due to American culture via tv movies, or us military since 1960s, and millions of Korean immigrants in America over the decades setting roots and connections to homeland.

My answer after living in Korea many years, live in Georgia and visit korea.

Did you ever go to Gyeongju? Supposedly that's more of a low-rise city with more traditional architecture. At about 300K people, it's not that big, but the way its built makes it pretty urban but not in the towering apartment block sense you see in some of the larger Korean cities. I think there are other cities that are like this, but that's one that came to mind. I also think some of the larger cities supposedly have some low-rise neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World