Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2021, 05:54 AM

536 posts, read 611,168 times

Advertisements

Because it is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2021, 08:37 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Heat View Post

You probably meant Aegean coast?
Yes! My mistake.

Old 06-17-2021, 01:13 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasmin35 View Post
Turkey is European country in the southeast Europe and southwest Asia by why does everyone have think its Asian Istanbul is largest city in Europe yet is never talked about as if it's Europe when people talk European cities they talk London , Paris , Rome , Berlin and Amsterdam never Istanbul despite that it is bigger than London and Paris.
U.K. Is a island separated from the European continent so why is included in Europe and not Turkey we are not in Europe anymore I mean the Eu Turkey even wants to join the eu.
B/c of their culture. It's more closer to that of the Middle East

Old 06-19-2021, 07:51 AM

10,105 posts, read 14,972,719 times
Geographically most of Turkey isn't in Europe, the exception is the tiny peninsula opposite Istanbul.

Culturally it definitely isn't Europe, though it is more western than say Yemen or India.

There is a very old rivalry between the Turks and the Greeks. Perhaps that's part of the equation in why so many Turks want for Turkey to be considered European. The Greeks don't have to do anything regarding if other people see them as Europeans, because they are.

Old 06-22-2021, 07:26 AM

2,934 posts, read 1,313,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasmin35 View Post
But Turkey is part of NATO and is going join the Eu now Israel going to join the European Union despite the fact that it's in Asia where is the Asian Union.
Turks did not behave like Muslims they drink, party and wear revealing clothes I could the same about rich Arabs though I saw Arab women across the street wearing tight clothing which showed their body Turks are too much like Greeks not like the rest the Middle East and Islamic world.
Do most Turks see themselves as European? I feel it may be down to the cultural differences driven by a tense history spanning over a 1000 years. European nations referred to Istanbul as Constantinople until the 20th century. There definitely has been a shift though in recent years, more and more Europeans are seeing it as a local holiday spot, I feel alot of the hesitation has been due to the history which in time the effects of such will diminish

Old 06-24-2021, 06:42 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 4 days ago)

27,185 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
Do most Turks see themselves as European? I feel it may be down to the cultural differences driven by a tense history spanning over a 1000 years. European nations referred to Istanbul as Constantinople until the 20th century. There definitely has been a shift though in recent years, more and more Europeans are seeing it as a local holiday spot, I feel alot of the hesitation has been due to the history which in time the effects of such will diminish
Turkey's a beautiful country, however the election Recep Erdoğan has been seen as a rejection of western values, and has amounted to Turkey embracing it's Middle Eastern and Islamic heritage.

The fact that the Hagia Sophia has been turned in to a Mosque, the rejection of secularisation in favour of Islam, and Turkey increasingly rejecting the west in terms of closer links to Russia and the East, all being cases in point.

Whilst I never thought Turkey was part of Europe, it seems it has now become culturally and politically even more distant from Europe and western ideology.

Hagia Sophia: Turkey turns iconic Istanbul museum into mosque - BBC News

Old 06-24-2021, 10:41 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,035,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radik Safin View Post
Oops
Where did the Hungarians, Albanians, Slavs, Anglo-Saxons come to Europe from?
Hungarians came from West-Siberia, not truly European sure but at least their current land is located in Central Europe.

Anglo-Saxons came from mainland Northwestern Europe.

Slavs homeland is Polesia (Northeastern Europe)

Albanians have always lived in the Balkans (Southeastern Europe)

Old 06-24-2021, 12:15 PM

189 posts, read 222,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Anglo-Saxons came from mainland Northwestern Europe.

Slavs homeland is Polesia (Northeastern Europe)

Albanians have always lived in the Balkans (Southeastern Europe)
Are you sure?
Previously, the Bulgarians were a Turkic people. The Bulgarian Khanate was created in 681 by the Turkic Khan Asparuh.

Old 06-25-2021, 10:39 AM

654 posts, read 631,633 times
Maybe because parts of it look like this?

Old 06-25-2021, 02:54 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,035,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radik Safin View Post
Are you sure?
Previously, the Bulgarians were a Turkic people. The Bulgarian Khanate was created in 681 by the Turkic Khan Asparuh.
I didnt say anything about the Bulgarians, they are not 100% Slavic if you think that i said that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World