Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2021, 04:09 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,144,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Because it's the most boring game on earth. Every "match" has a final score if "one-nil", decided by a penalty kick, in favor of the home team to avoid a riot. Nothing at all happens the remainder of the three hours.

It.s highly popular as children's sport in the US, because every 5-year old already has all the necessary skills (running) and only need to be taught which of two nets to kick the ball toward. Parents cannot tell the difference between a good player and a bad one, so it's naturally suited to the "participation trophy"..
Very ignorant.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2021, 04:24 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,031,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Because it's the most boring game on earth.

If American sports were so interesting the world will play hockey, nascar, baseball or whatever, instead the world plays this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLB56lFYlBI

Old 07-12-2021, 04:33 AM

27,232 posts, read 13,521,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svelten View Post
^I'm pretty sure the rest of the world, or at least most countries do all sorts of those activities as well. The UK and France both participate in tons of sports well beyond footy.

Soccer will probably eventually capture the market like the NHL does now - a major sport but not the dominant one in the US. A lot of the younger generation are into it especially with Esports and FIFA.

American sports do have a following in the UK.

Four NFL Games a season are played in London, and NFL games have been played at Wembley and Twickenham, whilst Tottenham's new ground can even switch pitches so NFL games can be played without damaging the turf.

MLB also started playing games, at the Olympic Stadium in 2019, when the New York Yankees played the Boston Red Sox, however due to the pandemic last years game was cancelled.

The NHL have also played matches in London at Wembley Arena and the 02 Arena, as have the NBA.

In terms of soccer (football) it has a growing following in the US, with a number of new stadiums.

I suspect American audiences would also enjoy Rugby and limited overs Twenty20 (T20) cricket, which is a shorter and more exciting cricket format, however the US and UK already have a lot of sporting fixtures and introducing new sports is difficult.

Old 07-12-2021, 04:40 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,031,404 times
I mean the vast majority of the world and with the exception of India and USA no populous country has any other sport as their No 1 spot. Both eastern and western europe, the whole of Africa, South America, Israel maybe even South Korea and even China, though it's hard to trust any data about China these days. Even in Russia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport_in_Russia

Old 07-12-2021, 04:57 AM

27,232 posts, read 13,521,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Did you see Boston last night after Italy won?

Its getting there incrementally.
There are significant Italians and British-born people of Italian descent (Britalians) across the entire UK.

There are substantial numbers of Italians in London, Manchester Bedford, Glasgow, South Wales etc.

The Italians were no doubt celebrating outside of Bar Italia in Soho and various other areas.

In terms of London, the original Italian area was Saffron Hill and nearby Clerkenwell, the Saffron Hill area was were Fagin lived in Oliver Twist.

Italians from the south mainly settled in Saffron Hill/Clerkenwell, with those from the North settling in Soho, before spreading out across London. However many still gather at the St Peter's Italian Church in Clerkenwell.

In terms of London's version of Wall Street, it's Lombard Street.

Lombard Street has its origins in one of the main Roman roads of Londinium. It later formed a plot of land granted by King Edward I (1272–1307) to goldsmiths from the part of northern Italy known as Lombardy (larger than the modern Lombardy region).

The Italian Community in Manchester was based in Ancoats - Little Italy

British Prime Minster Benjamin Disraeli was of Italian and Jewish heritage.

Whilst famous British companies such as Ferranti and Marconi were started by Italians, whilst the helicopter company Leonardo S.p.A. based in Yeovil in England is Italian.

England showdown fuels mixed emotions for Italians who call Clerkenwell neighbourhood home.

‘If we win, you’ll be sad’: London’s Little Italy torn over Euro 2020 final - The Guardian (July 2021)

Whilst London's links with Italy go all the way back to AD 47 when Londinium (Roman London) became the capital of Roman Britain.

As for sport the Italians often play UK teams in relation to the Six Nations Rugby and International Football at both national and club levels.

Finally in terms of the father of Italian football, it was English Doctor, James Richardson Spensley, whilst Italian and English football teams were playing each other for the Sir Thomas Lipton Trophy as far back as 1909.

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-12-2021 at 05:30 AM..

Old 07-12-2021, 05:23 AM

103 posts, read 92,585 times
Will Hispanics popularize soccer in America? I was taking with friend and he said that for soccer to be popular in America the black community had to popularize it. He felt that once the black community start making songs about it then it becomes more popular and then the younger white Americans will start to get involved n it too.

Old 07-12-2021, 06:40 AM

30,487 posts, read 19,246,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Moments like tonight again prove that this is the greatest game! Think I should start watching it again. Forza Italia.
People prefer American football, basketball, and baseball which have dominated American sports for over a century. Soccer is gradually becoming more popular but still trails the other sports in popularity. Soccer is considered a women's sport in America because high schools have girls soccer teams and no male soccer teams to equalize (required by law) having male American football teams.

Old 07-12-2021, 06:41 AM

12,953 posts, read 13,369,463 times
My three sons played a lot of soccer 40 years ago - from little kid level to high school. It was fun just like Little League. The oldest is still a fan and follows some of the European matches. He even has a Wolverhampton Wolves jersey.

Old 07-12-2021, 06:42 AM

12,953 posts, read 13,369,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
People prefer American football, basketball, and baseball which have dominated American sports for over a century. Soccer is gradually becoming more popular but still trails the other sports in popularity. Soccer is considered a women's sport in America because high schools have girls soccer teams and no male soccer teams to equalize have male American football teams.
That summarizes it very well.

Old 07-12-2021, 10:13 AM

6,572 posts, read 12,079,114 times
I've been a soccer fan since my first visit to Europe back in 2005. It's just a big part of their culture and I enjoyed being a part of it. Naturally I became an Italy fan (and also the AS Roma club) so I was very happy yesterday (as well as the 2006 World Cup).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World