Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2021, 08:00 AM

910 posts, read 366,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
No he was tripped, footballers are soft as sh*te though! I've seen rugby players have their heads stapled back together on the field of play while the game continues around them! I don't think Italian footballers are quite made if the same stuff as Italian rugby players!!
You sound like your saying the Italians take dives, but the English don't. There is no question Sterling took a dive, and that's how England won the game. I am an American who watched all the Euro games, even though I much prefer American/Canadian Football, Baseball, Basketball, and Hockey. My point is that in soccer the referee has tremendous power on who wins the game. Yes, in the Big 4 North American sports the referee/umpire does influence who wins, but not to the extent as in soccer. The referee basically handed the victory to England, against a more deserving Denmark team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2021, 08:15 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,016,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindag View Post
You sound like your saying the Italians take dives, but the English don't. There is no question Sterling took a dive, and that's how England won the game. I am an American who watched all the Euro games, even though I much prefer American/Canadian Football, Baseball, Basketball, and Hockey. My point is that in soccer the referee has tremendous power on who wins the game. Yes, in the Big 4 North American sports the referee/umpire does influence who wins, but not to the extent as in soccer. The referee basically handed the victory to England, against a more deserving Denmark team.
On what planet were Denmark 'more deserving'!!? England had greater possession, greater territorial advantage, more shots at goal both on and off target, the goal the Danes scored was from a free kick that wasn't a free kick AND it should have been re-taken because the Danes interfered with the English wall, so I ask you how exactly were the Danes 'more deserving' exactly!?? Do you understand football?

Old 07-15-2021, 09:18 AM

Quote:
On what planet were Denmark 'more deserving'!!? England had greater possession, greater territorial advantage, more shots at goal both on and off target, the goal the Danes scored was from a free kick that wasn't a free kick AND it should have been re-taken because the Danes interfered with the English wall, so I ask you how exactly were the Danes 'more deserving' exactly!?? Do you understand football?
I think you missed my whole point. The main thing I hate about soccer is that a lot of times the referee determines who wins the game. Yes in the North American Big 4 sports, American/Canadian Football, Baseball, Basketball, and Hockey the referee/umpire will occasionally make a bad call or no call that may influence the game, but rarely the winner. Although at times it does happen. IMO after watching the replay several times, Sterling took a dive. It seemed strange to me on a few of your posts you were mocking the Italians as divers, but were so quick to say Sterling was tripped. There are other posters on this thread that also feel he took a dive. I am neutral, didn't care who won England or Denmark. The only countries I care about winning anything are USA (lived most of life) Canada (country of birth) Italy (ancestors are from) and in that order. Yes the referee handed that victory to the English, I felt bad for Denmark.

Last edited by vindag; 07-15-2021 at 10:07 AM..

Old 07-15-2021, 09:59 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't watch soccer because I think it is boring to watch.

Old 07-15-2021, 10:08 AM

Quote:
I think you missed my whole point. The main think I hate about soccer is that a lot of times the referee determines who wins the game. Yes in the North American Big 4 sports, American/Canadian Football, Baseball, Basketball, and Hockey the referee/umpire will occasionally make a bad call or no call that may influence the game, but rarely the winner. Although at times it does happen. IMO after watching the replay several times, Sterling took a dive. It seemed strange to me on a few of your posts you were mocking the Italians as divers, but were so quick to say Sterling was tripped. There are other posters on this thread that also feel he took a dive. I am neutral, didn't care who won England or Denmark. The only countries I care about winning anything are USA (lived most of life) Canada (country of birth) Italy (ancestors are from) and in that order. Yes the referee handed that victory to the English, I felt bad for Denmark.
The English deserved to beat the Danes, no question, Sterling was tripped, if he wasn't then VAR would have simply overturned the decision. You can feel bad about Denmark if you want to, I did too, until the Danish started 'gloating' over the Covid dead in the UK, at that point I stopped feeling sorry for them, that was a pretty vile thing to do in my book.

Old 07-15-2021, 11:28 AM

Quote:
The English deserved to beat the Danes, no question, Sterling was tripped, if he wasn't then VAR would have simply overturned the decision. You can feel bad about Denmark if you want to, I did too, until the Danish started 'gloating' over the Covid dead in the UK, at that point I stopped feeling sorry for them, that was a pretty vile thing to do in my book.
Yes I know what you mean! I initially felt bad for the English, but not after all the vile racist attacks against those 3 black players. Please don't give me that baloney that most of it was coming from outside England. Some of it came directly from England itself. Just as most of the English politicians and Prince William are upset about it, English posters on this thread need to take responsibility for the very ugly side of English football that we all know exists.

Old 07-15-2021, 11:52 AM

3,408 posts, read 1,901,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paypeeto69 View Post
Soccer is popular in the US. They don't just care for it at the domestic club level, when when the NT does poorly. Just wait until the US national team passes a round at the WC, and many Americans will stay put in front of their TVs
I don't expect the US team to get past the first round of the World Cup. They flopped miserably in 2016. The women are good, but I won't be watching them because I already get enough Anti-American politics without having to hear Rapinoe spout how sorry and racist our country is!

Old 07-15-2021, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Yes I know what you mean! I initially felt bad for the English, but not after all the vile racist attacks against those 3 black players. Please don't give me that baloney that most of it was coming from outside England. Some of it came directly from England itself. Just as most of the English politicians and Prince William are upset about it, English posters on this thread need to take responsibility for the very ugly side of English football that we all know exists.
A vast majority of it came from 'abroad', there are no borders when it comes to social media, I'm not sure why you think that only English people should take 'responsibility' but I can tell you this, attending a football match in England you will find a VERY diverse crowd in attendance, black, white, man, child or woman and girl, and unlike in some 'other' European matches In some 'other' European countries you WONT find police with dogs, water cannon and fences 'caging' the supporters.

Last edited by easthome; 07-15-2021 at 01:05 PM..

Old 07-15-2021, 12:32 PM

9,354 posts, read 14,299,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't watch soccer because I think it is boring to watch.
In addition, I think penalty kicks to decide championship matches is lame. These men are professional marathon runners who kick a ball around, why can't they do it until someone scores a real, hard-earned, deciding goal?

Old 07-15-2021, 01:34 PM

Quote:
A vast majority of it came from 'abroad', there are no borders when it comes to social media, I'm not sure why you think that only English people should take 'responsibility' but I can tell you this, attending a football match in England you will find a VERY diverse crowd in attendance, black, white, man, child or woman and girl, and unlike in some 'other' European matches In some 'other' European countries you WONT find police with dogs, water cannon and fences 'caging' the supporters.
For the love of God please get off your English high horse, and stop with this nonsense. There are very racist English fans!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World