Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2022, 07:30 AM

1,044 posts, read 687,051 times

Advertisements

...has your accent and/or dialect changed in your native language?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2022, 07:59 AM

8,866 posts, read 8,448,789 times
No

Old 06-30-2022, 01:54 PM

828 posts, read 693,085 times
No, not at all.

Old 06-30-2022, 05:36 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,502,821 times
I have a bad habbit of saying the Korean words aya 아야 (Ouch) and 진짜 jinjja (Really) when speaking English.

Old 06-30-2022, 06:11 PM

1,044 posts, read 687,051 times
I'm an American who's lived in Malaysia for 12 years and my wife and I usually mixed Malay in with our English. Sometimes when I'm back home in the States, I have to stop myself from saying the Malay word.

I do have one American friend who lived in the UK for a few years and now she sounds British. It's strange because she's been out of the UK for years, yet she keeps the British accent.

I remember many years meeting a girl from Australia who had only been in the States for 3 weeks. When I first started talking to her I thought she was American because she had a local American accent.

Old 07-01-2022, 12:48 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
This reminds me of many Caribbean relatives and friends, as well as my Chinese American aunt (born in China but moved to the states for high school). Despite all of them being in the US for decades (I'm talking 40-50+ years), many of them still have the accents of their home countries. My mother thinks that some of them "fake it" as a status symbol

Old 07-01-2022, 12:16 PM

572 posts, read 280,118 times
I've been told my accent has changed, but I don't believe it. My pronunciation has definitely changed, because I made a conscious effort to do so.

I now say US style Garaaage, instead of Gar-idge, and Toe-Mate-O. Not to do so, simply invites commentary that just slows my day down for no appreciable benefit.

Old 07-01-2022, 01:02 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
This reminds me of many Caribbean relatives and friends, as well as my Chinese American aunt (born in China but moved to the states for high school). Despite all of them being in the US for decades (I'm talking 40-50+ years), many of them still have the accents of their home countries. My mother thinks that some of them "fake it" as a status symbol
Most people, if they move to another country or region late enough in life (high school is pretty late), will never totally lose their native accent. This is mostly due to physiological reasons and not lack of will.

My father-in-law (from Germany) lived in the US for fifty years, and as soon as he opened his mouth, he was instantly recognizable as a non-native. My mother-in-law (from Brazil) has been here for going on sixty years now and is the same. She hates that, and if she could change it, she would.

Of course, living in a new place, you will pick up the vocabulary and to varying degrees other characteristics of the local speech. If the two dialects were pretty close to begin with (say, someone from Chicago moving to California) and you have a good ear, then you might pass as a native. And it is absolutely true that your original accent will eventually also shift a little bit. You go back home, and people say "You sound funny now."

Old 07-01-2022, 10:16 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,376,630 times
No change in native English - I am originally from California. Here in Germany, I speak German most of the time, and not so often in English. My German is fluent but not perfect and I am recognized as a foreign speaking person by many, but nobody attempts to speak with me in anything but German.

Saibot's comments above are pretty spot-on accurate IMO.

Old 07-01-2022, 10:48 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,309,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Most people, if they move to another country or region late enough in life (high school is pretty late), will never totally lose their native accent. This is mostly due to physiological reasons and not lack of will.

My father-in-law (from Germany) lived in the US for fifty years, and as soon as he opened his mouth, he was instantly recognizable as a non-native. My mother-in-law (from Brazil) has been here for going on sixty years now and is the same. She hates that, and if she could change it, she would.

Of course, living in a new place, you will pick up the vocabulary and to varying degrees other characteristics of the local speech. If the two dialects were pretty close to begin with (say, someone from Chicago moving to California) and you have a good ear, then you might pass as a native. And it is absolutely true that your original accent will eventually also shift a little bit. You go back home, and people say "You sound funny now."
Generally the cut off for adapting the local accent is as young as twelve, as said due to physiological reasons.
An exception we know is one who went straight to university to do an advanced English course when he arrived in the country and may have had speech therapy as well. Completed a PhD in English as a challenge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World