Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where to go
Bulgaria 2 14.29%
Malta 2 14.29%
Finland 7 50.00%
Other (please specify in post) 3 21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 12:04 AM

9 posts, read 25,140 times

Advertisements

I know there are many topics with this same problem, but if any of you knowledgeable citizens of the world would be kind of enough to entertain another "what's the best country" question, it would be greatly appreciated.

Okay, so I am from Indiana and plan to go abroad through University in 1 year, for one semester. My major is International Relations,etc. and I speak only English. My options of countries is virtually limitless (I am fortunate enough to go to a school with an astounding amount of transfer programs), but given my major I have been given a list of countries from which I am interested in these 3 in this order: Bulgaria, Malta, Finland.

Now, I would like to see all of Europe, but financially this isn't possible. I know that Bulgaria probably sets me closest to Italy and Greece and I think Finland would be best for E. Europe, but from what I have heard it isn't to unreasonable to travel to the E. from Bulgaria. Malta is in 2nd for obvious reasons.

Keep in mind these are not my only options, so if any of you feel adamantly about a special part of the world then feel free to suggest something else!

One more thing; full immersion into culture is very important for me. I do worry about countries with very little knowledge of English, of which i think all but Malta have, but any suggestions in this regard would be equally appreciated.

I hope I haven't gone on to long here. Thanks in advance for anyone patient enough to help me out here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 01:05 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,672,071 times
Maybe if more young people would travel to another country or two or three and spend a little time and learn other cultures then maybe it would be a safer world.

I always dreamed of being an exchange student but was half scared to death and half worrying about how other countries hated us. Yes I knew that even way back then. If I only knew then how much they would hate us 30 years later in 2008.

So when I was much older I took a year off and lived in Canada. It might not have been as exotic a place as some where in Europe but I would not trade that year for anything. I treasure my time there and met so many good people.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:25 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,037,582 times
I would be interested in all of those, but I chose Malta.
Why? I've always wanted to go there, but it's not too easy to get to.
Of course, once you've made it to Malta, it's not so hard to get on a ferry or hydrofoil or plane and go visit other places.
I think there are plenty of English-speakers there, because it is a very touristic place.
You might get a bit of island fever over the course of an entire school year, but I really doubt that would happen in one semester. You could perhaps do a bit of traveling before or after?
I would think there might be fewer English speakers in Bulgaria, but I know that it is becoming more touristy, itself, so I might be wrong about that.
Do you have a language minor?
My kid is majoring in international relations, too, and is taking Spanish and Russian. He'll probably do junior year abroad in Panama.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I would be interested in all of those, but I chose Malta.
Why? I've always wanted to go there, but it's not too easy to get to.
Of course, once you've made it to Malta, it's not so hard to get on a ferry or hydrofoil or plane and go visit other places.
I think there are plenty of English-speakers there, because it is a very touristic place.
You might get a bit of island fever over the course of an entire school year, but I really doubt that would happen in one semester. You could perhaps do a bit of traveling before or after?
I would think there might be fewer English speakers in Bulgaria, but I know that it is becoming more touristy, itself, so I might be wrong about that.
Do you have a language minor?
My kid is majoring in international relations, too, and is taking Spanish and Russian. He'll probably do junior year abroad in Panama.
Thanks for the reply! English is actually the official language of Malta (British Occupancy), so that is definitely a plus. The other bonus is the beauty and history of the place (oldest known temple, etc.). The isolation of an island is my main concern with Malta, but I'm sure a fairy to the mainland wouldn't be too pricey.
I do not have a language minor although I'm required to spend to years in a foreign language (French). Like I said I really want to travel across Europe while I am there, but the logistics of such a thing may be out of reach.
I looked at a map recently (novel right) and I guess Finland is farther away from E. Europe than my other choices; someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks again for the input, and good luck to your son; I've heard Panama is pretty great.

Last edited by AcLucas; 07-08-2008 at 11:57 AM..

Old 07-08-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Maybe if more young people would travel to another country or two or three and spend a little time and learn other cultures then maybe it would be a safer world.

I always dreamed of being an exchange student but was half scared to death and half worrying about how other countries hated us. Yes I knew that even way back then. If I only knew then how much they would hate us 30 years later in 2008.

So when I was much older I took a year off and lived in Canada. It might not have been as exotic a place as some where in Europe but I would not trade that year for anything. I treasure my time there and met so many good people.
Yes, the American image abroad is tarnished now in most places, but I still love this country and I think soon that sentiment may be changed with a new leader. I agree that knowledge of other cultures is very important in understanding and appreciating the fact that we are all a human race.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:45 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,924,013 times
Go to Spain or Argentina. Learning Spanish would be really useful in today's society.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
Go to Spain or Argentina. Learning Spanish would be really useful in today's society.
I've thought of Spain, but doubt I will learn Spanish. I'm pretty committed to French at this point. Thanks for the input

Old 07-08-2008, 02:22 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,037,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcLucas View Post
I've thought of Spain, but doubt I will learn Spanish. I'm pretty committed to French at this point. Thanks for the input
Lucas, is France a possibility at all for study abroad?
My other kid majored in French and became completely fluent the year he studied abroad.
I actually think all of your current choices are fascinating, though. I had no idea that Malta was an independent country, and is even a member of the EU! It's always just sort of been in the back of my head as an interesting destination, but I had thought that it was connected to Italy.
I looked at a map, too, and agree that Finland is quite far north. I guess Bulgaria would be a more central choice, and probably cheaper, too.
Well, good luck to you whatever you choose. I would love to hear what you decide to do.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:41 PM

13,652 posts, read 20,788,575 times
First, bone up on your geography. Bulgaria would be best for Eastern Europe as it is in Eastern Europe. Finland is way north in Scandinavia.

I have never been to Malta. I do know that it is closer to Africa than Europe and thus your travel aims would be compromised a bit. As said, English is not a problem.

Finland would be the most modern but also the most expensive. Most people speak English while Finnish would be a challenge requiring at least a few years.

Bulgaria would be the most economical as well as well situated- near the less pricey countries which happen to be loaded with gorgous women. The language is easier than Finnish but requires use of the Cyrillic alphabet. I would think plenty of younger people have learned English.

Winner: Bulgaria.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
First, bone up on your geography. Bulgaria would be best for Eastern Europe as it is in Eastern Europe. Finland is way north in Scandinavia.

I have never been to Malta. I do know that it is closer to Africa than Europe and thus your travel aims would be compromised a bit. As said, English is not a problem.

Finland would be the most modern but also the most expensive. Most people speak English while Finnish would be a challenge requiring at least a few years.

Bulgaria would be the most economical as well as well situated- near the less pricey countries which happen to be loaded with gorgous women. The language is easier than Finnish but requires use of the Cyrillic alphabet. I would think plenty of younger people have learned English.

Winner: Bulgaria.

Well, I did "bone up" on my geography, had you read my posts you would have read what I wrote: "I looked at a map recently (novel right) and I guess Finland is farther away from E. Europe than my other choices; someone please correct me if I'm wrong."
This won't help my with my Geo. credit, but I actually meant to say in the original post that I want to explore Western Europe not Eastern. My bad. It seems Bulgaria is best either way.
Given that I want to travel to WESTERN Europe, and I know Bulgaria is in the East, does anyone know how realistic it would be for me to travel to the West, possibly all the way out to the UK. I fear this would be to far a travel for say, a weekend or short break, but much of travel in Europe is beyond me right now.
And Malta is a ferry ride away form sicily and there to Italy. Not too bad.
Thanks for your input.

Last edited by AcLucas; 07-08-2008 at 03:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World