Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2008, 01:53 PM

51 posts, read 244,993 times

Advertisements

Hi guys. I have a question for the well traveled here. Outside of the obvious climate concerns do you dress more conservatively in some countries versus others? For example, I m American so the “normal” casual attire for a sight seeing in a metro area usually includes wearing jeans some and comfortable sneakers.

When I traveled to parts of Europe I noticed that people on average dress more fashionably overall. At times I felt under dressed. It even seems that the nightclubs have varied idea on what it fashionable stylish. I haven’t been anywhere else like Australia or Canada so I’m curious how they (and other countries) might contrast to the US
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 03:33 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,685,534 times
I am not sure if you are a man or a woman, so forgive me if my slant towards female concerns is not helpful. But, for what it's worth:

Generally, I always try to dress a shade more conservatively than the local women -- that way, I can never go wrong.

Wherever you go, leave your shorts at home. Shorts etiquette throughout the world is really too nuanced to bother. In fact, in many countries -- even Western, industrialized, sexually liberated countries -- shorts and mini skirts are considered inappropriate outside the beach area, and this is especially true of rural areas. You'll be surprised, but this is the case in some places popularly thought of as "beach destinations". At best, you'll get dirty looks and find yourself turned away from fine (or even mainstream) restaurants. At worst, you will get whistled at and harassed. Don't chance it. Rather than do case-by-case research, just leave the skimpy wear at home and avoid the uncertainty altogether. For summer travel, think Capri pants, chinos and knee-length skirts and dresses. Men: although more exotic countries (Afghanistan?) would require some extra research, I'd say with jeans you are safe anywhere.

Places of worship: In most places, pants are still not acceptable for women to wear in places of worship -- even long, loose, "conservative" pants. Skirts and covered shoulders are expected. I usually carry with me a long crinkle skirt and a large gauzy scarf. Both items are lightweight and can be tightly folded. Before entering a place of worship, I simply put the skirt over my pants and drape the scarf over my shoulders. Done. Men should avoid wearing shorts or flip-flops.

JUST SAY NO TO WHITE SNEAKERS. White sneakers and socks are very uncool. Very. Especially in Europe. Preliminarily, they immediately identify you as an American. Of course, there are other things to identify you -- such as your accent, even if you are fluent in the local language. Nevertheless, I have found from interactions with numerous people from other countries that there is just something about those big white bad boys that just rubs everyone raw. It may very well be irrational, but when you are in someone else's home, why irritate the host?

Another shoe-related thing: In many countries, it is considered bad taste for people, especially men, to walk around with bare feet. (And by that, I mean, wearing revealing footwear, such as flip flops). Bring a pair just in case and see what the locals wear. The best option, however, is to stick with nondescript dark-colored sporty shoes.

People dressing more fashionably, etc.: this is actually deceptive. In some countries, people are expected to display their wealth through their clothes, a "noblesse oblige" kind of thing. Being originally from Russia, I know a number of my former countrymen (and women) who spend the bulk of their income on clothes because the applicable social conventions require them to. The significance for a tourist? If you are dressed poorly, people will assume you are poor. Depending on the type of destination, you might consider sacrificing comfort to fashion -- but local customs would not be enough to convince me to wear Prada pumps on a jungle hike.

Also, realize that some activities abroad, though similar to those in the US, may actually have the added function of acting according to one's class. Thus, the theater in Russia is a place to see and to be seen -- so people dress up, even if they don't have the best seats.

Also, it makes sense to avoid wearing T-shirts with messages on them. I'm sure I don't have to explain why wearing curse words splayed across your chest or back is a bad idea; wearing brazenly political messages or reproductions of national flags is asking for trouble. Even seemingly innocuous messages, however, can provoke an unfavorable reaction. In a foreign culture, humor may be misunderstood, and slang words may have different meanings. Once again, avoid the ambiguity. Don't take the chance of Donald Duck or Bugs Bunny possibly being slang for some unmentionable part of the human anatomy. Plus, in some places, it is considered bad taste to have conspicuous lettering on one's clothes, even if the words or images are not offensive or ridiculous. No, you don't have to remove that "Polo Ralph Lauren" embroidery from your top, but if any item of clothing looks like "funware", leave it in your closet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World