Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 01:47 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times

Advertisements

americans are not proud bek they are americans. they are proud bek they got money, but that my friend can change so fast.
been there done that.
we are sitting way way way too high in the saddle and exaggerate way too much bout "our" accomplishments. a great big fat person riding in a big fat car coasting on past laurels awarded papa whose shoes we are not fit to bear.

Old 12-14-2008, 01:55 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
Snizzle, while in the Navy I had the chance to visit Spain, Gibralter, Monaco, France, Italy, Malta, Greece, Albania, Slovania, Croatia, Bulgaria, Romania, Ukraine, Turkey, Israel, Egypt, Tunisia, Morocco, Saudi Arabia, and Dubai. Of the above, I enjoyed my time in Spain, Gibralter, Italy, Malta, Greece, Bulgaria, Ukraine, and Israel. If I had to choose I'd probably pick Italy as a second nation to live in. However, because I did have a choice I choose USA as the place I wish to live. Never liked France. Went there with an open mind because it's the land of my ancestors. Left there vowing never to return. Food was much better in Spain, Italy, Greece, and Bulgaria than it was in France.

Old 12-14-2008, 02:04 PM

719 posts, read 2,666,413 times
On the contrary, Americans take this country for granted way too much. Maybe it's because I'm a first generation immigrant from Mexico, I don't know, but it really irks me when all people have to say about this country is "America sucks," or so forth. . . God knows just how often I hear that. Yes, I know that America has its cornucopia of flaws, but we as Americans should address them rather than just ***** and moan about them with the delusion that we can hop on a plane and move to Japan as soon we graduate form high school.

Old 12-14-2008, 02:32 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,391,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lndigo View Post
On the contrary, Americans take this country for granted way too much. Maybe it's because I'm a first generation immigrant from Mexico, I don't know, but it really irks me when all people have to say about this country is "America sucks," or so forth. . . God knows just how often I hear that. Yes, I know that America has its cornucopia of flaws, but we as Americans should address them rather than just ***** and moan about them with the delusion that we can hop on a plane and move to Japan as soon we graduate form high school.

We can't fix it. Our politicians are "all" too corrupt. Americans need a wake up call and we need to relearn how to appreciate the things we have because some day we might not have it. I am happy that I am here in America rather than anywhere else but sometimes it's embarrassing. We can be so rude and obnoxious like spoiled children.

Old 12-14-2008, 02:50 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,929,428 times
I think there's a fine line btwn 'pride' and 'nationalism'. I think we all learn 'pride' when we're young - we learn about the great things our country (no matter which one) has contributed to the world. As we get older these same things become political, used as leverage for one upmanship, rather than being great for themselves.
Personally I think we all need to get away from being so parochial, and have more of a global way of looking at things. We're not on separate planets after all.
This is just my opinion. But it is the right one.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:52 PM

47 posts, read 182,400 times
What irks me is the mentality of "America is #1" in everything and that it's the only beacon of democracy in the world... when in fact there are many other democracies, there are other countries have had a leader who is a minority, a women... the USA was not the first, or the only country to give women the vote... etc. Pretty much every country has some achievement or great characteristic that is being overlooked when people blindly espouse nationalistic "we're #1" slogans.

I'm not saying the majority of people think this way, or that there aren't many reasons for Americans to be proud of what their country has achieved... but I do think there is a vocal minority who thinks that way (as described above).

And I completely agree with whoever said that too many people confuse nationalism with patriotism!

Old 12-14-2008, 04:41 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,704,184 times
When you live in the country most desired to live in, where people come here in droves, not to visit; but to live, sight unseen, I think that warrants pride.

When we see what happens in the media when our hired officials (ICE) do their job and enforce our immigration laws which are repeatedly broken, attempting to send people back to their own country, and these illegals scream bloody murder for their "perceived" God given right to stay here (illegally) it might cause us to feel a bit angry, if not a bit xenophobic against the rest of the world. Translated...read: pride.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:43 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,352,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomari View Post
Hi every one.I was born and raised an american citizen.I was taught from day one that America was the greatest nation on the earth.Now that I am 29 years old;I think differently....

ARE AMERICANS TOO PROUD?
Obviously not.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:02 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,143,353 times
Interesting...obviously I am American, but I was never taught that the US is the greatest country.
Now, it seems people act like everything is sooo much better in Europe and Americans are a rough & unrefined people (not true). I think the arrogance some display is a reaction to this stereotype. They take a "I could care less what you think, we're better anyway" attitude as a defense.
I don't think all or even most Americans fall into the two extremes of thinking the US is the best country ever or thinking it is a complete disaster.

About the education thing...my pet peeve is that people are actually ashamed in the US to show they are smart. Somehow, being humble and down-to-earth got equated with being dumb & unknowledgeable.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:55 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,244 times
Seems a bit trollish for a thread topic, doesn't it?

Reminds me of the old question: Have you stopped beating your wife?

Let's move on to something more informative
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World