Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2009, 12:13 PM

26 posts, read 95,926 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any data on this? I can only find the US...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Househo..._United_States
(This is a long article, so do: Edit -> Find -> 103,918)

I would also be really interested in finding a comparison of how progressive a country's tax system is. I would guess they use some kind of tax coefficient, (possibly the gini coefficient applied to taxes). Thanks.

Last edited by ATLien86; 06-15-2009 at 01:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 03:37 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,601,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLien86 View Post
Household income in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would also be really interested in finding a comparison of how progressive a country's tax system is. I would guess they use some kind of tax coefficient, (possibly the gini coefficient applied to taxes). Thanks.
If you're looking at that comparison it would be more complicated than that. Many countries don't necessarily have a progressive tax system, but the worse-off are still supported in ways unmeasured by income since they get more benefits.
What do you mean professional degree income? Why this specific category of income?

Old 06-15-2009, 03:44 PM

Wait, are you spefically looking to move somewhere you'll make the most and pay the least? Like, that's the single most important factor in moving somewhere? I thought it was some sort of academic curiousity.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:15 PM

It's mostly curiosity.

There were a couple of threads where people were considering whether to move to the US or another country. The advice seemed to be that income should be taken into account, and that in the US good degrees would be more powerful as far as making money than in other countries. I wanted to see if that was really accurate.

And yeah, I realize there is more than income tax rates. But, there's information on total tax revenue by country. I was hoping that there were studies that determined what % of that revenue came from what income %. Even sales tax (or whatever) could be factored in here.

p.s. I could, hypothetically, be interested in this for personal reasons, and it would not need to be a dispositive issue, right?

Old 06-15-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
It's mostly curiosity.

There were a couple of threads where people were considering whether to move to the US or another country. The advice seemed to be that income should be taken into account, and that in the US good degrees would be more powerful as far as making money than in other countries. I wanted to see if that was really accurate.

And yeah, I realize there is more than income tax rates. But, there's information on total tax revenue by country. I was hoping that there were studies that determined what % of that revenue came from what income %. Even sales tax (or whatever) could be factored in here.

p.s. I could, hypothetically, be interested in this for personal reasons, and it would not need to be a dispositive issue, right?
There are definitely places that have tax burden by country. Google "tax burden country" and a few come up:
Overall Tax Burden and Government Spending - Forbes.com
The Tax Foundation - Federal Tax Burden by County, 2004
However, this doesn't really show is "progressiveness" of the tax system. I dunno about that.

It would be a big depressing to me if that was the #1 criteria given the number of things I would think would be more important. First of all, even within the idea of what you'd be getting at ("which country is materially the most comfortable for me"), then like I said, there would be a million other factors (purchasing power, certain things might be cheaper while others more expensive, benefits offered by the state) and looking to enlarge that specific number of take-home pay minus taxes isn't particurlarly telling.
Another is, I'd think that other factors, such as culture, food, community, etc... would be what matters just as much as material comforts. Unless of course you are currently living in poverty where you are at or something. But material comforts have been largely shown to only add to individual's happiness up to a certain level. As the US has become richer and richer there is little evidence that the population has grown happier.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
It's mostly curiosity.
in the US good degrees would be more powerful as far as making money than in other countries. I wanted to see if that was really accurate.
However, I'd guess this might be true, although it would depend what the specific degree is. It also depends where you are comparing to. If you are including places like, Somalia and Bolivia in the group, well then sure. But among developed countries, after you take benefits and such into account, they probably would be comparable. The US might be higher. Actually, the bigger factor would likely be unemployment rates: that it might be easier for one with a professional degree to find a job in the US. With the current recession, this may not hold the same truth, I don't know, but I do know that the reason its easier for educated, non-rich immigrants to get visas in the US than some other countries is that its easier to find a company or institution to sponsor their visas. Or in the case of Canada, it's easy for a PhD to get in, but not neccesarily to get a job.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:48 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,787,380 times
Quote:
Household income in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

interesting to note in that table that 2003 figures are lower than 2001 figures!

Old 06-19-2009, 09:17 PM

I didn't even notice that. It's been moving up and down a lot since 1991. Almost everything dropped between 1999 and 2003, but I guess we knew that -- we had a big recession. Then we hit a boom, and then a big bust.

Anyway, again, this is primarily academic for me. But, I think it's pretty interesting to see the correlation between income and education in a country. It shows how merit-based things are, upward mobility, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World