Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 08:52 PM

109 posts, read 160,082 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, if you don't mind i'll pose a broad question here, as it is broad concepts i'm most interested in. I've found this board to be a valuable resource of information, and I appreciate any thoughts.

In your opinion (it's opinions i'm interested in) which of the following countries would be most advantageous for an american man in his 30s in terms of work opportunity, acceptance by the natives, adjustment difficulty etc:

-canada
-australia
-new zealand
-ireland
-norway
-sweden

Any thoughts appreciated, including peripheral, and variables are welcomed

I'm 34, speak english (obviously) some basic german and know a few words of norwegian and swedish.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 09:08 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,856,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_1974 View Post
I speak english (obviously) some basic german and know a few words of norwegian and swedish.
Unless you're willing the learn the local language, a few words of whatever language is NOT going to make any easier for you anywhere you go to *live and work*

So next, you asked for opinions, I'd say anywhere you go with the right attitude, and perseverance, I know you can do it anywhere.

I came to this wonderful country a long time ago with only 60 dollars in my pocket and two suitcases of all my belongings.
I did NOT insist that people addressed me in MY language.
I did not say that *at home, everything was better or bigger*.
I learned how to speak proper English and worked at whatever work I could find.

Then I yanked my whole family to several other places in this funny world we live in, and worked and lived where ever I was needed. I am a polyglot and have a Masters degree. So finding work was rather easy.
My wife and kids are now also polyglots, and the kids have darn good jobs to boot, due to the fact that they learned many other languages and experienced many other cultures.

There is only one problem, and that is that in the summer we can not go anywhere, since all those friends we made in other countries are always at our house now to learn about the USA.

I think you can do the same anywhere you like.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:15 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,908,042 times
Have you looked at the immigration requirements for each of those countries ? You may find that your qualifications will allow you to work in some but not others in which case you can cross some off your list right now. The best country to go to depends on you - it's a different answer for everyone.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:48 AM

221 posts, read 535,506 times
You would be accepted by the people in Norway as long as you speak norwegian.

I don't know anything about job opportunities etc.. You wouldn't experience any severe "culture-shock", either.. But i guess you wouldn't anywhere in the EU, really.

The advantage about living in Norway, though, is that the salaries over here are sky high

Old 06-17-2009, 11:26 AM

702 posts, read 3,010,615 times
From your list, I think all English speaking countries will be more accepting than the others mainly because of communication difficulties.

In Sweden, if there is such a thing as immigrant preference, I think Americans will rank quite high. Swedes watch American TV, buy American things and generally think that America is cool. However, it will be a hard adjustment if you live in Sweden and not able to speak Swedish. Probably the number 1 complain by immigrants in Sweden is the difficulty in securing a job. Most are competing with Swedes that speak english relatively well and the relatively small job market relies on contacts. However, some do manage to secure jobs without knowing Swedish, but most are in sought after fields or highly specialized ones.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:06 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkyMonkey View Post
From your list, I think all English speaking countries will be more accepting than the others mainly because of communication difficulties.

In Sweden, if there is such a thing as immigrant preference, I think Americans will rank quite high. Swedes watch American TV, buy American things and generally think that America is cool.
I've met Swedes from Stockholm who say they feel like they have more in common with people from NYC or from London than they do with other Swedes.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:25 PM

549 posts, read 1,665,506 times
Australia

Old 06-17-2009, 09:56 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,689,318 times
I have always heard New Zealand is rather hostile to Americans (sorry if it is un true) I think it would obviously be Canada due to it and the US being like twins and not having to learn another language (maybe French)

Old 06-17-2009, 11:48 PM

184 posts, read 837,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
I have always heard New Zealand is rather hostile to Americans (sorry if it is un true) I think it would obviously be Canada due to it and the US being like twins and not having to learn another language (maybe French)
Well, I'm a New Zealander and I happen to be very fond of Americans

To the OP:
That's not to say you won't meet the occasional person who will want to argue with you about some piece of American law or foreign policy, but most of us have no trouble separating the politics from the people.

As long as you don't come in chanting "USA-USA-USA..." or "We're number one-We're number one..." you shouldn't have any trouble here .

Like one of the previous posters mentioned, if you travel with the right attitude, you shouldn't really have any trouble anywhere you go.

And, like another previous poster mentioned, I think you should check out the immigration rules for the countries you are considering first - that may shorten your list quite quickly. You may as well concentrate your efforts on learning about the countries you have the best chances of getting into.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:37 AM

221 posts, read 535,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I've met Swedes from Stockholm who say they feel like they have more in common with people from NYC or from London than they do with other Swedes.
that said, americans from NYC are said to be different from americans from most other places. at least that's what i've read

but yeah, people from europe (especially teens) tend to think the US is a cool place. sadly, most people tend to think this until they've visited the states - like my mom. she managed to prepare me by telling me it's not like in the movies before we went to CA, though, so i wasn't really dissapointed.

and new york was even better than in the movies, so yeah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World