Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 11:01 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,861,999 times

Advertisements

This one is from Japan.

Quote:
Asian Banking Update

Following the problems in the sub-prime lending market in America and the run on HBOS in the UK, uncertainty has now hit Japan.

In the last 7 days Origami Bank has folded, Sumo Bank has gone belly up and Bonsai Bank announced plans to cut some of its branches.

Yesterday, it was announced that Karaoke Bank is up for sale and will likely go for a song, while today shares in Kamikaze Bank were suspended after they nose-dived.

While Samurai Bank is soldiering on following sharp cutbacks, Ninja Bank is reported to have taken a hit, but they remain in the black.

Worse, 500 staff at Karate Bank got the chop and analysts report that there is something fishy going on at Sushi Bank where it is feared that staff may get a raw deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 12:13 AM

3,786 posts, read 5,331,294 times
Reminds me of a joke told about a meeting between diplomats and their spouses. When an American diplomat was introduced to a Chinese diplomat and his wife, the American decided to compliment the wife on her looks, "You look beautiful."

This was translated and the Chinese diplomat replied with "Na-li, na-li", which is the Mandarin phrase used to put off compliments (politely decline). The phrase means literally "Where?" as in "Where did you get that idea?"

The interpreter, however, did not explain this to the American diplomat, only giving the translation as "Where?"

Red-faced, the American blurted out, "All over, I guess!"

Old 09-17-2009, 12:57 AM

That's the danger of translating word for word. I bet you've heard the one on LKY.
He and his wife went to Taipei on state visit. In the evening he went down to the hotel lobby dressed to the nines; his wife was still getting ready in the room and the limousine had not yet arrived. As he was wandering around aimlessly, a beautiful young lady in evening gown walked pass and whispered to him; they spoke briefly before she stomped off angrily. Just then, Mrs Lee stepped in to the lobby and walked towards her husband. The young lady turned back, snapped at LKY and pointed to his wife: "that one is $50."

Old 09-17-2009, 02:12 AM

Hahahaha....no, I hadn't heard that one.

The one I heard involved Winston Churchill and some uppity high-so lady. At a party, a bit drunk, Churchill is purported to have said, "Lady XXXX, would you sleep with me for one million pounds (GBP)?"

"Well, Mr. Churchill, I would have to think about that," she demurred.

"How about 10 pounds then?" he asked.

Slapping him in the face, she retorted, "Dear sir, what do you think I am?"

Winston replied, "We have already determined what you are; now we are just negotiating the price."

Old 09-17-2009, 07:24 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,858,315 times
Ok, here one *international*.

Texas Farmer tourist on vacation in Southern Germany.
Tour stops at a quaint typical German Farm.
Texas Farmer asks German Farmer, *how big is your spread* ?
German Farmer:
Well.... from this fence to where the tree line is,
and then along the small stream and then back to here.
Texas Farmer:
My oh My, Mine is much bigger !!
It takes me two days to drive all along my property.
German Farmer:
I used to have an old car like that too .....

Old 09-18-2009, 12:44 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,025,495 times
A couple of old heaven-and-hell jokes:

Heaven - the chefs are French, the mechanics are German, the police are British, the lovers are Italian and it's governed by the Swiss.

Hell - the chefs are British, the mechanics are French, the police are German, the lovers are Swiss and it's governed by the Italians.

Heaven - American salary, British house, Chinese chef, Japanese wife

Hell - Chinese salary, Japanese house, British chef, American wife

Old 09-18-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
Hell - Chinese salary, Japanese house, British chef, American wife
American wife in a Japanese house? Bull in a china shop?

Ouch.....(as my American wife hits me in the shoulder).....

Old 09-20-2009, 02:10 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
american jobs on the lighter side---
for the high stress thankless job owners here you go
mr policeman if you practiced good customer service there would be no bankrobberies
mr teacher if you practiced good customer service maurice could read and write
mr president if you practiced good customer service there would be no 911.
welcome to the land of good customer services skills
retirement

Old 09-21-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
welcome to the land of good customer services skills
retirement
I thought those jobs have moved to India and the Philippines

Quote:
Siamese twins walk into a pub in Ontario and park themselves on a bar stool. One of them says to the landlord,
'Don't mind us, we're joined at the hip.
I'm John, he's Jim. Two Molson Canadian beers, draft please'.
The landlord, feeling slightly awkward, tries to make polite conversation while pouring the beers.
'Been on holiday yet, lads?'

'Off to England next month,' says John. 'We go to England every year and hire a car and drive for miles, don't we, Jim?'

Jim agrees.

'Ah, England!' says the landlord. 'Wonderful country... the history, the beer, the culture...'

'Nah, we don't like that British crap,' says John. ' Hamburgers & Molsons beer, that's us, eh Jim? And we can't stand the English - they can be so arrogant.'

'So why keep going to England ?' asks the landlord.

'It's the only chance Jim gets to drive.'

Old 09-21-2009, 06:44 PM

Bartenders are called landlords in Canada?? Now that is funny!!
Maybe American men should start calling their bartenders landlord also......

Man walks in late at night, angry wife waiting for him by the front door. "Where were you, mister?" she demands.
"I was jush talkin' wit da landlord, honey..." he protests.

One of the funniest jokes regarding this topic is from book about Jokes for Physicists.

Physicist sneaks into his house late at night, wearing his lab coat. Angry wife is waiting for him at the front door.
"Where have you been, mister?" she demands.
"I was out carousing with another woman, drinking, dancing; she kissed me all over, honest." he exclaims.
"Stop lying to me!" the wife yells. "You were at the Lab again, weren't you!!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World