Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 10:46 AM

243 posts, read 704,149 times

Advertisements

ok im not sure how many liter ther is in an usGallon. but here in norway we pay 2$ per liter.

when it come to other transportation.

From me to work with car. it takes about 45 min's.
From me to work with train... First i have to Walk 45 min. Then the train takes
55 min to transit. where i have to wait 40 min,. that train takes 20 min to destination. then i got 50 min Walk to my work.

so no thats realy not an optin is it.. (tho since the stupid cop took my license i have to take the train)

Last edited by Tjukken; 05-05-2007 at 10:55 AM..

Old 05-05-2007, 11:08 AM

942 posts, read 1,393,058 times
Well one thing for sure is I have never seen gas prices reach this level, In some areas of Oregon and already in areas of Calif and Washington the gas price signs have hit $4.00 and some change. Still the roads are bumper to bumper, really it could be $10.00 a gallon and the roads would still be full of cars. So lets just raise it to $10.00 a gallon then, I want to see what price we have to reach before I see people in the cities that is, getting out of their cars even for 1 day.

Old 05-05-2007, 12:08 PM

i dont think they will stop driving..

it will just lower the poor pep oppertuneties. and most will change averything else in their life.

Just look att my self. if the cops dident take my license i wud drive. even if the gas wud cost 10$ per liter...

Seriusly i wud. i even think about driving without license.. tho that is realy stupid

Old 05-05-2007, 12:19 PM

Well you will need to be a good boy in the future, so this cop will not take your license. If you are paying $2.00 for a litre, you are paying equivalent to $8.00 for a gallon of gas. Very expensive. I am afraid people will begin stealing gas from people gas tanks, like they did in the 1970's when we had gas shortages. Do not drive with out a license Tjukken, it will only make matters worse for you. Yes you have a long commute on public transit.

Old 05-05-2007, 12:32 PM

yeah i know. and wont drive without the license.

coz the worst thing is that i know this cop is right.... and i usaly drive safe and about legal speed.. just this once after being 30 minutes behind a "man with hat" driving half the speed limit i finly got pass him. unf i dident think about where i was. and that area got low speed... and was thinking i stil was in a high speed area

Anywhy. it are rumors here that gas prices will doubel during this year.... diesel and regular gas.

Old 05-05-2007, 01:06 PM

Yes I think they will double also Tjukken, I am going now to walk to the train station and take the train to downtown Portland and go the Gym, and then go to the convention center also on the train and see a show that is going on there today. So I can get to many places by walking and the train. Remember stay away from the car until you get your license again.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,669 times
Default Agree and Disagree

I have read several of the post and i agree with some and disagree with others.
In Europe the gas prices are higher than in America, but is there mean income higher than ours? do they also have many sources of transportation? Here in America we do have subways, buses, and train stations, but these are in major cities (NY). I live in a state that has three major cities and they do have buses but not trains and subways. None of those cities are my home town, therefore the only source of transportation are taxis and our own vehicles. Therefore I can not save money by using a bus, train, or subway, for there is none and they would never build one here. Another thing, about the walking, the Wal-mart (which is basically all that we have in my city) is about 30+ mins away in walking distance. I am not going to walk for 30 mins then lug a whole bunch of groceries back to my home. Also the walking thing can not work for families. Imagine seeing a family with three little children walking places which are not close especially if they are carrying things. Another thing is that during some of the climate changes people can not be walking around (Snow, 100 F, Hail).
I do agree that Americans are lazy and need to use other sources, but some people are unable to use those sources. I do agree that people should carpool
, but if have no one to carpool with then that doesn't work. The reason why I complain is because I am a college student with not much of an income and with no other source of transportation, wish there was, but there is not.

Old 05-18-2007, 02:55 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times
Many people here in the US would gladly like to bike or moped. However, it is dangerous to ride a bike other than on a bike path. Most car and truck traffic do not pay attention to bicycles. The shoulder situation here in IL is absolutely abysmal. As is the condition of many of the main roads, potholes, etc.
And it is just as expensive to license a moped or small scooter as it is a big motorcycle, so many people do not drive those either. Which would be a good idea for cities, you would think politicians would give a break to those, but they need all the tax $ they can get.
Most big cities DO have public transportation, and most people in Chicago DO take it. However when you get outside the city, the suburbs are set up to accommodate cars only. And when you get far out into rural areas, it is the only mode of feasible transportation.
What I think is a solution is for people to have two cars, if they must drive the big trucks and SUVs for towing, etc, is to have an alternate car that gets 35 MPG for commuting, errands, etc. SO many people do NOT do this. I don't know why. They insist on commuting in their big piggish cars. Stupid to use that much $$ in gas, and also put that much mileage on an expensive car. Fine, if they want to do it, but then don't complain about your car mpg and how much gas costs!! I don't want to hear it.
AND most people around here do not know how to drive, their inefficient driving methods cause them to use more gas than they need to.

Old 05-19-2007, 08:43 PM

Very good post

Old 05-20-2007, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ressie View Post
I have read several of the post and i agree with some and disagree with others.
In Europe the gas prices are higher than in America, but is there mean income higher than ours? do they also have many sources of transportation? Here in America we do have subways, buses, and train stations, but these are in major cities (NY). I live in a state that has three major cities and they do have buses but not trains and subways. None of those cities are my home town, therefore the only source of transportation are taxis and our own vehicles. Therefore I can not save money by using a bus, train, or subway, for there is none and they would never build one here. Another thing, about the walking, the Wal-mart (which is basically all that we have in my city) is about 30+ mins away in walking distance. I am not going to walk for 30 mins then lug a whole bunch of groceries back to my home. Also the walking thing can not work for families. Imagine seeing a family with three little children walking places which are not close especially if they are carrying things. Another thing is that during some of the climate changes people can not be walking around (Snow, 100 F, Hail).
I do agree that Americans are lazy and need to use other sources, but some people are unable to use those sources. I do agree that people should carpool
, but if have no one to carpool with then that doesn't work. The reason why I complain is because I am a college student with not much of an income and with no other source of transportation, wish there was, but there is not.

I cant answere for other countries here in europe.

but for me. it costs more to take the train than drive a car. even with ouer gas price.
Since i lost my lisence i have to walk 45 min to the train. take the train to the capital. then wait 40 min. and take another train to some "hillebilly" place i work. then walk fro 45 min. from the station to my work place.

That costs me 2240 nkr per month a car with insurance gas and maitnance and "tax" cost me about 1600 nkr per month.
(2240 nkr = $ 377.59. 1600 nkr = $ 269.71)
unless i ofc use the car for more than work travel. who i do. but that can not be calculated in to this.

An yeah here in Norway we sure do know what winter is. snow ice and cold.
Ther is no way here that any snow cold or ice will geet u of from work. or permit u to show up laiter.

But then as i said earlier here. its not the price who this is about. it's how much in % the price raises who is the isue.
Coz as here u have calculated living expenses. and whengas price rises high it realy efeckt private economy bad.
dosent matter if i here sit with higer gas price. i have calculated this price. if this rises similar in % as u face. then i wud have the same problem. (tho it seems to folow usa in % now)

Also other living costs are "sky high" here. but it seems that salery is equal higer. tho some have it realy tight here. like everywhere else.

basicly my train experience is realy bad. coz it costs more than driving takes way longer. have to walk realy long. and i have to got to the capital and out.
So driving its about 55 km on a road that avrage speed is about 60 km/h. (yeah its metric. not sure how to calculate it to miles) but its bit less than 1 houer drive on curvy roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World