Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 11:43 AM

2,155 posts, read 4,583,252 times

Advertisements

So I'm sitting here reading through all these city vs. city threads and how much of these "my city is better because of this and this..." yeah, yeah, yeah. This happens all the time. So I'm questioned, do other countries (maybe countries such as Brazil, China, Mexico, Australia, etc, with diversity in cities) do this as much as we do? If no or yes, what are some examples? I am wondering if we Americans are really sort of cocky of if it is all pretty normal.

Last edited by Bo; 10-17-2009 at 03:04 PM.. Reason: Moved from General US.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:55 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,340,608 times
IDK but the US has a lot of great cities, many of them are comparable to each other.

What other country has cities in the same class as New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, etc. (China comes to mind and that's really it). We have Tropical, Subtropical, Temperate, Desert, Arctic, etc. the US is a really unique country. I don't think its cockiness because not every American is going to be cocky (including me).

Old 10-17-2009, 12:02 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,866,146 times
Plus the X -vs- Y threads here on C-D tend to bring the nut jobs out of the woodwork. The ones who are cocky teenagers trying to sound like authorities of ALL the US cities, while never having actually left their own respective cities. Or adults who can be anonymous and obnoxious behind their keyboards sitting in their Momma's basement. Most threads are loaded with these type posters and few "normal" people who just like/love their cities, but can still admit that there just might be a few more Cities out there that have some positives as well.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
IDK but the US has a lot of great cities, many of them are comparable to each other.

What other country has cities in the same class as New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, etc. (China comes to mind and that's really it). We have Tropical, Subtropical, Temperate, Desert, Arctic, etc. the US is a really unique country. I don't think its cockiness because not every American is going to be cocky (including me).
I'm not saying all Americans are cocky. You are so right that America is unique and very amazing, but my real question is, do we work together as much as we could? Or do we seem to separate ourselves by cities and region? Yes we all come together and say we are American in tough times, but do we really work together as much as we should is what I'm wondering. Is there an example of a country who is similar to us in the manner and is there an example of a country that is different in this manner?

Old 10-17-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Plus the X -vs- Y threads here on C-D tend to bring the nut jobs out of the woodwork. The ones who are cocky teenagers trying to sound like authorities of ALL the US cities, while never having actually left their own respective cities. Or adults who can be anonymous and obnoxious behind their keyboards sitting in their Momma's basement. Most threads are loaded with these type posters and few "normal" people who just like/love their cities, but can still admit that there just might be a few more Cities out there that have some positives as well.
Yes these threads do bring out the worst of people in every city.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
The teenagers I know on here aren't cocky at all, I'm not cocky and I've left my city many of times and actually prefer other cities over my own, believe it or not most teenagers on here are more mature than most of the "nut job" adults.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
I'm not saying all Americans are cocky. You are so right that America is unique and very amazing, but my real question is, do we work together as much as we could? Or do we seem to separate ourselves by cities and region? Yes we all come together and say we are American in tough times, but do we really work together as much as we should is what I'm wondering. Is there an example of a country who is similar to us in the manner and is there an example of a country that is different in this manner?
I don't think we work together as much as we could, it seems as if we "semi-isolate" ourselves into the Northeast, South, Midwest, and West. You are right that we come together and say to the World we're America but internally there's some isolation. I hope we all come together and un-isolate ourselves but I think location has a lot to do with it because there are "in-between" regions with ties to both (ex: The Mid-Atlantic has ties with New England & the South). I'm guessing Canada, the UK, China, Australia might have similar internal issues.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:21 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,816,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
Yes these threads do bring out the worst of people in every city.
Just be thankful that it isn't this way in real life. I have never encountered anyone in a discussion about which city is worse than another or why my city is better than yours - only on city-data.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
I don't think we work together as much as we could, it seems as if we "semi-isolate" ourselves into the Northeast, South, Midwest, and West. You are right that we come together and say to the World we're America but internally there's some isolation. I hope we all come together and un-isolate ourselves but I think location has a lot to do with it because there are "in-between" regions with ties to both (ex: The Mid-Atlantic has ties with New England & the South). I'm guessing Canada, the UK, China, Australia might have similar internal issues.
Right. If you look as ancient Greece, they did not ever unite for various reasons (surrounded by mountain ranges, scattered islands, decentralized gov't., etc) so when times started to go rough, they turned on each other. I know that America is way more unified and we all still identify with each other, but it worries me when others chose to hate other cities, regions, and states when something goes wrong and not actually try to work it out and come together.

Example:
If a man from Mississippi says something racist, everyone just says "Oh it's Mississippi, they're like that," and try to act like it's some foreign country. We fail to sort of...think that we are one at times. So if someone says "Here is this burgeoning city in Mississippi and it is growing economically," or something people just ignore it and say it'll never be great. Why wouldn't you want it to be great? It's as if as soon as somewhere else gets a chance to shine, we don't want them to. Why don't we more often try to put some of our cities together economically(or in other ways)?

Old 10-17-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Just be thankful that it isn't this way in real life. I have never encountered anyone in a discussion about which city is worse than another or why my city is better than yours - only on city-data.
I've have been to many cities in this country and there are times we have had a talk about cities and states, but for the most part, I have never had/seen this amount of arguments in daily life as I do on here. I mean no doubt I may meet someone from L.A. or Fargo(just examples people) who will tell me that they didn't like it or loved it and can't wait to go back, but on this forum it's taken way to far more often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World