Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does an opinion of Bush affect an opinion of Americans?
Yes 98 74.24%
No 34 25.76%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 09:18 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,620,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Unfortunately yes.

<snip>

Unfortunately, the US is a very complex country to understand in terms of its politics and people, but the rest of the world can only go by what they see on TV.. this is unfortunately the idiot George W Bush.
You have hit the nail on the head. The media forms the world opinion of Bush and therefore of America. I have been involved with several media stories and a couple documentaries in my life and they NEVER report an accurate picture of events or people. I was part of a documentary on a celebrity that the producers found their life to be so uninteresting that they invented events with drama and staged them so that they could have some exciting segments. None of the events they filmed had actually occurred and the people involved did not possess the "dramatic" attitudes or motives the film played up. Most people and events are incredibly routine and boring with moments of excitment intersperced. When did you ever see a news broadcast that reported nothing incredible or exciting happened today?

It is a shame that only sensationalism sells in the media, but I admit I like to read the bizarre as much as anyone. The Bush we see in the media is probably more fiction than Harry Potter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 01:51 PM

45 posts, read 153,900 times
I'm speaking as a American and I have this question for all of you...Why does America have to Police the World??? Where is it written??? What's the motive behind it???...It makes me sad to think that the rest of the world judges us by the actions of GWB! Thats Unfair! Her's one you can kick around....Our Freedom of Speech...Remember when Natile Maines of the "Dixe Chicks made a comment about GWB??? She had her life threatend,not to mention all the hell the group experienced,their music banned by radio stations etc. This is how we are treated because we exercise our right to Speak Out & Speak Up!!! Its this Americans opinion that our "FREEDOMS" are slowly but surely being "STRIPPED AWAY" Wake Up USA! Its Time to Speak Out & Fight Back! Or,Kiss Your Freedom Good-Bye....Europe Keep An Open Mind...God Bless America & The Dixie Chicks for speaking out....You read this from someone thats not political savey....

Old 06-01-2007, 02:03 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,476,171 times
god i hope not...

Old 06-01-2007, 04:10 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,211,930 times
Unfortunately, much of the world does judge America thru Bush. We did elect him, even though the margins were slim and the results were worthy of suspicion. I didn't and would never vote for a dunce like Bush. In my lifetime he easily passes for the worst president America ever had. Too many Americans believe his lies. No need to take the Bush supporters seriously, they believe everything that Bush tells them. Never before has America had a president who seems so intellectually challenged, has a bull-headed attitude, suffers terribly from tunnel-vision, and apparently can't fix anything diplomatically. Only bullies rely on force to get their way.
The Bush administration has severely damaged America's image in the world. The problem is that it will take a long time and much good will to re-establish the status America had prior to Bush. I look forward to the end of the Bush administration as I do to the light at the end of the tunnel. I think the rest of the world is also counting the days.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:22 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,244,236 times
Just know that there are many here- in the USA and on this site- that would relish the opportunity to have a beer with you and kvetch about Bush! It would be both therapeutic and bridge-building! Maybe we can set up a virtual happy hour!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroatWebWanderer View Post
Yes, we do.

Of course America is much, much more than Mr Bush. However, when we discuss it over, let's say, a beer, America = Bush.

Guess it is annoying for you American folks to listen to European nagging about your president, but his policy affects us too (big time).

Old 06-02-2007, 06:08 PM

31 posts, read 116,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
Unfortunately we do... Since the president is chosen by the people, outsiders (this goes for other countries too, not just americans) may form an opinion about the people based on who they choose to represent them.
we simply think it's stupid that you don't stop him.
Actually he WASN'T chosen by the people the first time around. Look it up.

Old 06-02-2007, 07:04 PM

1,226 posts, read 3,650,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagunacat View Post
Actually he WASN'T chosen by the people the first time around. Look it up.
I know he wasn't, believe me, we know more about your country and whatever goes on in it, than you probably know about the entire world. And I did actually mention that I knew it wasn't fair game when he was elected. Read what people write, not parts of it.
But he has been re-elected, hasn't he?

Old 06-02-2007, 10:29 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,408,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
But he has been re-elected, hasn't he?
That's what really put the nail in the coffin in the world opinion I think.

We can all say what we want about the 2000 election but the fact of the matter is that even after all he's done, knowing all about him that we did (really, he hasn't been behaving at all differently now than he was before the election which is why I don't understand why just NOW people are waking up and angry), a solid majority of the people in this country (or at least of eligible voters who showed up) STILL voted to keep him in office. A good number of us may be baffled by that and not agree and angrily shout "I didn't vote for him!" but the sad fact is, the majority did and we can't pretend as if "our" blue dissenting slice of the country is the only one that those abroad should pay attention to and brush aside the majority as "not the America I know" when in fact, they do (or did at least) represent what the majority thought. That was enough to knock my faith in this country down several pegs and for me and many others to wonder what exactly was becoming of the country and it's ideals that we once loved, and wondering whether or not this place is even for us.

Old 06-03-2007, 12:17 AM

20 posts, read 157,320 times
Thumbs down Presumptious

"we know more about your country and whatever goes on in it, than you probably know about the entire world."

Not only do you know more than Americans........you also speak for others as you said "we" not "I".

Old 06-03-2007, 12:45 AM

270 posts, read 571,728 times
Default ..........

people do hate americans because of that fake cowboy.....he wasnt elected once look up diebold.the next president will be gulianni,obama is black and a muslim ,hillary is a woman,not racist on my part just how it is..plus gulianni supervised 9 11 so he should be able to fumble around the white house..someone said we should get out of all those countries,do you realize america has military bases in about 126 countries thats why no one likes america..well part of the reason anyways...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World