Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 08:48 AM

1,391 posts, read 2,646,465 times

Advertisements

I went to a McDonald's in Spain (or was it France? can't remember) that sold pork burgers and beer. That is wayyy different from any American franchises that I've been to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 08:48 AM

254 posts, read 1,207,751 times
I like the McTasty everywhere in Europe better than U.S. - I think it's the sauce and it's the same great McTasty sauce everywhere from Spain to Ukraine. I don't like most burgers in Asia, especially S. Korea because the lettuce and vegatables taste strange. I do like the fast food in Phillipines - there's a hilarious chain called Jollibee that has good "YUM!" burgers.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:06 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,856,642 times
Funny story about McD.

On Sunday, at church, we partake of the Sacrament. Break bread, etc ...

There is a Lady who always brings a few slices of bread for this purpose.
One day she forgot, so we walked to McD, and asked for 3 *buns only* ...
The poor guy behind the counter looks at his register, and by golly,
he can NOT find the *buns only* picture ...

He gave them to us for free ...

LBNL, this same lady actually bakes her own bread,
and then puts that bread in the freezer.
So each Sunday morning, she takes a few slices, puts them in the toaster, and then takes them to church.
Until one day she left them too long in the toaster ...
I wondered where the jam was that Sunday morning ....

Old 01-31-2010, 12:07 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,610 times
Burger King still does serve beer in Germany. At least to my knowledge. But they don't sell the great German beer. They got the nasty tasting Miller. Don't understand why you would sell Miller in Germany. The German beer is so much better.

Everything tastes differently in Europe. I saw that on TV once a while back. Pepsi/Coca Cola have separate recipes, since it wouldn't sell otherwise. I know McDonals does the same. They wouldn't be able to sell american recipes over there because people have a different taste.

Edit:

I just found this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBy0-LL0_yo

2 Americans buying beer at a Mcdonalds in Germany.

Last edited by XodoX; 01-31-2010 at 12:16 PM..

Old 01-31-2010, 02:33 PM

871 posts, read 1,631,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I've had Big Macs around the U.S., and in Portugal, Cyprus and other parts of Europe...all the same. What I really notice is the same is the smell of a McDonalds place. They all have that same sicky-sweet smell in the air. I used to think it was the stuff they mopped the floor with, but I can't imagine that that is the same in every McD's all over the world.

A friend says it is the odor of their sauce.

Nasty stench whatever it is! When I used to eat in those places I took the food outside to eat in order to escape it.
it smells like warm vomit. it's probably a combination of oil smells plus the secret sauce on big macs which is basically thousand island dressing. i think it's funny they call it 'secret sauce' as if anyone is hammering to get the recipe. there is nothing unique about it's taste.

anyways, most dressing we use is usually cold so it doesn't give off any stench but when it's warmed it does and the combination of the milky dressing/smell of oil permeates a sickly sweet odor with dash of rancid oil.

wow, i just might have ruined bigmacs for someone. lol

Last edited by rory00; 01-31-2010 at 02:42 PM..

Old 01-31-2010, 02:58 PM

61,722 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Burger King still does serve beer in Germany. At least to my knowledge. But they don't sell the great German beer. They got the nasty tasting Miller. Don't understand why you would sell Miller in Germany. The German beer is so much better.

Everything tastes differently in Europe. I saw that on TV once a while back. Pepsi/Coca Cola have separate recipes, since it wouldn't sell otherwise. I know McDonals does the same. They wouldn't be able to sell american recipes over there because people have a different taste.

Edit:

I just found this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBy0-LL0_yo

2 Americans buying beer at a Mcdonalds in Germany.
Hmmmmm... I will admit that I was wrong. I guess McDonald's in Germany sells beer, but I didn't see any, and possibly not every McDonald sells it.
See here: McDonalds Alexa Bier?
some people say "yes" some" not"...

Old 01-31-2010, 03:16 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,064,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TumbleBug View Post
Has anyone else got a fast food story from around the world?
Sure. Here's my McTrip Summary:

What I Had in McDonalds By City:

London: Free Toilet
Paris: Free Toilet
Brussels: Free Toilet.
Dordrecht: No McD
Amsterdam: Free Toilet.
Berlin: Free Toilet.

Hamburg: One Hamburger. Haha. Seriously. And a beer. Win.

Munich: French Fries at 4AM, waiting for the hostel to let me check in around Oktoberfest.

Vienna: Free Toilet.
Kosice (Slovakia): No McD.
Budapest: Free Toilet.

Zurich: 2 Hamburgers. It was the only food we could afford. Nothing interesting on the menu. Fail.

Bern: Skipped it.
Domodosolla (Italy): No McD.
Stressa: No McD.
Florence: Free Toilet.
Rome: Free Toilet.
Naples: Free Toilet.
Patras (Greece): No McD.
Athens: Skipped it.
Naxos: No McD.
Santorini: No McD.
Venice: Didn't see one. Surprise!
Milan: Skipped it.
Geneva: Free Toilet.
Montpellier: Free Toilet.
Barcelona: Free Toilet.
San Sebastian: Free Toilet.
Mundaka: N/A
Lisbon: Free Toilet.
Madrid: Free Toilet.

And then...

Taipei (Taiwan): Corn chowder. Had it delivered (Every one is a 24 hour delivery McDonalds!) Win.
Delhi: N/A
Jaipur: N/A
Agra: N/A
Mumbai: N/A
Goa: N/A
Bangalore: Free Toilet.
Maldives: N/A
Kuala Lumpur: Free Toilet.
Patong: N/A
Bangkok: Free Toilet.
Siem Reap: N/A
Phnom Penh: N/A
HCMC: Free Toilet.
Nha Trang: N/A
Hanoi: Free Toilet.
Guilin: Skipped.
Kunming: Skipped.

Actually skipped the rest, but there were tons of McD in China, a few in Japan, and loads in Hong Kong. None deep in inland China. The point of all this is; not surprisingly, McD infiltration is spotty in developing asia, but solidly entrenched in Europe.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:39 PM

61,722 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Default Beer in McDonald's ( Germany)

Attached Thumbnails
McDonalds around the world. Same-same?-mcdspeisekarte.jpg  

Old 01-31-2010, 03:50 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,420,743 times
I once had crepes at a McDonald's in Montreal but that has been many, many years ago.

Old 01-31-2010, 04:22 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,866,610 times
Yeah, it's right there on the menu lol "Bier" (On the right).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World