Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 12:07 AM

6,034 posts, read 5,942,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
most Canadians live within an hour of the US border....

They get the same TV,news, and follow our politics better than we do. Kids are taught the same ways in their schools as here in the States. Same values, laws, cars, limits.......and our largest trading partner. also many workers from both countries go to work everyday in each other’s country.........
Exactly. Even sound similar to outsiders. I always knew there was a reason that The Maple Leaf was displayed prominently on youngish Canadian Back packers over the decades. It was obviously to promote them being the same, but different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2020, 12:08 AM

6,034 posts, read 5,942,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illadelph73 View Post
Flags are in Red White and Blue.
Strong in hockey and all winter sports.
Capital, largest city and largest metro area, despite said expansion to the Pacific, are still on the Atlantic side.
Cossacks are a Russian sub ethnic group of warriors, and the Rednecks, hillbillies and cowboys of America are also warrior like, and both are strongly associated with their respective countries.

Being big countries, they have a lot of natural resources.
Famous black poets (Alexander Pushkin is a Black Russian)
But does the Russian 'soul' and that of the American have any real similarity?

Old 08-12-2020, 04:02 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illadelph73 View Post
Flags are in Red White and Blue.
Strong in hockey and all winter sports.
Capital, largest city and largest metro area, despite said expansion to the Pacific, are still on the Atlantic side.
Cossacks are a Russian sub ethnic group of warriors, and the Rednecks, hillbillies and cowboys of America are also warrior like, and both are strongly associated with their respective countries.

Being big countries, they have a lot of natural resources.
Famous black poets (Alexander Pushkin is a Black Russian)
Well I've never heard rednecks and hillbillies described as 'warrior like' before! Lol :-D

Old 08-12-2020, 06:49 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Exactly. Even sound similar to outsiders. I always knew there was a reason that The Maple Leaf was displayed prominently on youngish Canadian Back packers over the decades. It was obviously to promote them being the same, but different.
And just take a look at all the entertainers,actors,comics etc, that come from Canada. Unless they want to make fun of their heritage they could just as well as being from Chicago and not Toronto.......

Old 08-12-2020, 06:31 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,491,500 times
Quote:
But does the Russian 'soul' and that of the American have any real similarity?
Not really imo. I would argue that they are almost polar opposites in fact. Russians have a collective mindset. They value community and working together. In general, they tend to dislike individualism.
Americans worship individualism to a fault. Great emphasis is placed on personal rights with a DIY attitude. Collectivism is viewed rather poorly.
However, this is isn't necessarily the case with how people view things in each country these days.

Old 09-03-2020, 01:08 AM

8 posts, read 2,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Maybe because Hispanic is not a 'thing' outside of the US? What you call Hispanic is just Caucasian or white in the rest of the world.
That's because the rest of the world has nowhere near the Latin American immigration and adjacency - people from this part of the world tend to be mixed Spanish or other European and Native - it's called Mestizo. That's why they tend to be perceived as a distinct race.

The US doesn't consider, statistically, "Hispanic" to be a racial designation, it's an ethnic category on the census. You tick a box for "Hispanic/Latino" or "non-Hispanic/Latino", and then choose a racial category (white, black, asian, native, and pacific islander, as well as 'other' or two or more races)

Old 09-03-2020, 01:15 AM

Quote:
The question posed was which countries are most similar to US. Not the same. American cultural
aspects have impacted, for better or worse, many countries of the world.

It matters not the size of the nation, but the influence from America, and much of the western world and a fair slice of the developing world have been impacted.

Surely it doesn't take much of a stretch of the imagination to come to a sort of accord that countries like Canada are most certainly in the top five nations in regards to similarity in so many ways.
Um, what? This is a massive amount of parsing.

It seems that he was indeed talking about which countries he thought were similar...lol.

Saying Canada is similar to the US because they share a similar accent and partial language is a little obtuse and not very thoughtful.

I don't think Canada is the most similar to the US, and I would agree that, aside from having a comparable QOL and comparable cultural aspects in terms of accent and language, there are huge differences between Canada and the US in terms of demographics, history, culture, and geography that are present to, and I think that, despite the language differences, the US and Brazil do check off slightly more boxes of comparison - when it comes to demographics similarities and size/geography, especially, but also aspects of culture like cuisine, dance, and music. These matter more to me than just saying Canada and the US are similar because their general accents are the same.

It's the refusal to discuss the interesting and culturally distinguishing differences between the US and other Anglosphere countries that often leads to such ignorance being spewed about the US by residents of Canada, Australia, the UK, etc...

And did he not rank Canada within the top 5?

Old 09-03-2020, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Excluding demographics there are many similarities with Russia.

Both are relative newcomers to regional power status.
Both started out towards their Atlantic Coast and then expanded their domain to the Pacific Ocean, displacing Native Siberians / Native Americans.
Both have populations that are more patriotic than Western Europe.
Both created new capital cities from scratch in swampy areas.
Both lag in health data relative to their super power standing. (shorter life spans than less powerful nations in W Europe / E Asia)
There really aren't any similarities between the US and Russia, and your points don't prove anything...and they're incorrect:

Quote:
Both are relative newcomers to regional power status
The US is a superpower, not a "regional power". The US has been a "regional power" since the late 1800s, more than 100 years - so it isn't a "relative newcomer"

Quote:
Both have populations that are more patriotic than Western Europe
Not really

Quote:
Both created new capital cities from scratch in swampy areas
This is an extremely narrow comparison

Quote:
Both lag in health data relative to their super power standing. (shorter life spans than less powerful nations in W Europe / E Asia)
Ah, yes, I thought so - the US can only be similar to a country in a negative sense.

And this is utter BS.

In "health data", it's many countries of Europe that lag behind the US:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._of_healthcare

And the US calculates stillbirths and all - Europe doesn't count infants who die within 24 hours of birth. Thus skewing infant mortality rates and life expectancies (which are calculated "at birth"). So it's utterly inaccurate to act like the US has health care to compare to Russia, and it's utterly inaccurate to say the US has poor health "data" relative to Europe. And Russia is not a superpower.

Check your "America bad" delusions at the door.

What is it with Americans desperately wanting to believe and feel like their country sucks? It's masochistic and absurd.

The US and Russia have VASTLY different countries in regards to demographics, geography and climate, culture, and notably, quality and standard of living and political/economic philosophies. Please stop.

Old 09-03-2020, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
By order of similarity, with the top one representing the most:

Canada
Australia
New Zealand
UK
Brazil

You might ask why I included Brazil in the list. I believe it has a lot in common with the US. Both countries are known for being large melting pots that still suffer as a result of unresolved racial issues. They are also the economic powerhouses of their respective region.
I wouldn't ask why you would include Brazil, because the cultural, geographic, and demographic similarities between the US and Brazil are much more noticeable than the similarities between Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and the UK. Canada has very little in common when you consider the massive cultural/pop cultural, historical, political, geographic, demographic, linguistic, etc, differences between the two nations, which become especially pronounced when comparing the US to the utterly incomparable Australia and New Zealand.

Can you think of any similarities between Canada and the US beyond "comparable QOL" and "accent sounds the same"? "The US gives Canada much of it's brands and products" and "the US has exported a lot it's culture to Canada" don't count.

Old 09-03-2020, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightea686 View Post
I'd say that, just as an aside, the countries that I've decided are the most similar to the UK, Canada, and Australia are different.

UK:

1) Ireland

2) New Zealand

3) United States

4) Australia

5) Canada

Honorable Mentions: Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark, Japan

AUS:

1) United States

2) New Zealand

3) United Kingdom

4) South Africa

5) Canada

Honorable Mentions: Argentina, Portugal, Germany, Chile, Spain

CAN:

1) Sweden

2) United States

3) Norway

4) Denmark

5) United Kingdom

Honorable Mentions: New Zealand, Netherlands, Germany, France, Australia

So, the most similar nations to one country might not be identical when considering it the other way around.

Interestingly enough, I find France to be somewhat more like the US than Canada, despite the French language's place in Canada. In terms of culture/pop culture, ethnic makeup, hard and soft power, social issues, economy, history, certain cuisinal elements, geography and climate...
I think I would put New Zealand number one for Australia, followed by the UK, then the US, then South Africa, then Canada

but otherwise, good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World