Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 08:21 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,287,175 times

Advertisements

Maybe this is crazy considering that I have never felt that fiction was my forté, but ....I've decided to write a Christian fiction novel. I don't know how far I will try to take it. If I'm satisfied with the results, perhaps I will pursue getting it published. We'll see how it turns out. Maybe it will just be a fun creative endeavor that hopefully my friends who appreciate that genre can enjoy reading. Who knows? ( I just read a novel written by one of our friends and decided to give it a go myself.)

I have an idea for the story based on a dream I had about 15 years ago. I will have to flesh it out a good deal, of course, but the dream gave me the basic idea. My plan is to write a fairly detailed outline and then take it from there.
As has been discussed on the thread about self-published authors, I totally believe that most of the beginnning writing I have read falls down with the lack of impartial editing.

Beyond that, thoughts, ideas, suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 11:41 AM

88,693 posts, read 85,050,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Maybe this is crazy considering that I have never felt that fiction was my forté, but ....I've decided to write a Christian fiction novel. I don't know how far I will try to take it. If I'm satisfied with the results, perhaps I will pursue getting it published. We'll see how it turns out. Maybe it will just be a fun creative endeavor that hopefully my friends who appreciate that genre can enjoy reading. Who knows? ( I just read a novel written by one of our friends and decided to give it a go myself.)

I have an idea for the story based on a dream I had about 15 years ago. I will have to flesh it out a good deal, of course, but the dream gave me the basic idea. My plan is to write a fairly detailed outline and then take it from there.
As has been discussed on the thread about self-published authors, I totally believe that most of the beginnning writing I have read falls down with the lack of impartial editing.

Beyond that, thoughts, ideas, suggestions?
OK, so smack me, but I HAVE to say it...don't say you are going to write a "fiction novel". It's redundant. A novel by definition IS fiction!

Ahem. That out of my system, I think it's great that you are going to do an outline first! That's what a lot of people recommend.

There was also an article I liked in Writer's Digest last year called "Write a Bad First Draft". The point of it was just to not think too much about what you were going to write, just write it and then go back and read what you wrote and take it from there.

The most important thing is that you just keep on writing and writing and writing, but you will find articles on writing in magazines and websites like WD and The Writer, and there are tons of books on the subject in the reference section of the bookstores and libraries.

My strongest suggestion, which is also my biggest problem, lol--tell those negative voices in your head that sometimes say you can't do it to shut up!

Good luck with your writing.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
OK, so smack me, but I HAVE to say it...don't say you are going to write a "fiction novel". It's redundant. A novel by definition IS fiction!
Ok, you're smacked! But that's right. I made a similar error in my self-published grief recovery book in the very first sentence, the VERY first sentence, and NO ONE who proof-read it, myself included obviously, caught it. I spotted it about a year ago! The first line is as follows: "The phone rang about 5:30 a.m. Saturday morning." See the problem???? Obviously, I need to watch that type of redundance!

There was also an article I liked in Writer's Digest last year called "Write a Bad First Draft". The point of it was just to not think too much about what you were going to write, just write it and then go back and read what you wrote and take it from there.Good point! On a website I was reading yesterday, this guy was saying the same thing. He said that for several months, he just seem stymied. Total writer's block. Then it occurred to him to just start writing the story he wanted to tell...just whatever came out, just WRITE IT! He said what came out was perhaps not his best, but it was not half bad actually, and it broke his "block" wide open!

The most important thing is that you just keep on writing and writing and writing, but you will find articles on writing in magazines and websites like WD and The Writer, and there are tons of books on the subject in the reference section of the bookstores and libraries.Yes, I have checked some out already. Haven't checked The Writer, but I will do so.

My strongest suggestion, which is also my biggest problem, lol--tell those negative voices in your head that sometimes say you can't do it to shut up!Yes, those voices DO indeed speak to me! However, it helps that my husband has so much faith in me and is my biggest "cheerleader." Yes, I know he's biased, but his support is a big encouragement to me!
Thanks for the words of advice and encouragement, Mighty Queen. What are YOU writing? Obviously, you either have written something or you have something in mind.....

Old 10-14-2010, 01:06 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,333,143 times
No advice here, since I'm myself struggling to write (well, try to write) a novel, but I wish you good luck!

Old 10-14-2010, 06:43 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,222,989 times
First thing's first. Have a core idea.

Then take notes. Lots of notes. Keep a little notebook with you at all times, and jot down things as they occur to you. Scenes. Dialog. Character sketches. Random thoughts. My two novels were both written in large part at swim meets, soccer games, or other ten-minute stretches. Then take those notes and transcribe them.

Keep writing your notes until you know three major things: How it begins, how it ends, and what the climax of the novel is. Then all the pieces will fall into place.

Hemingway said a valuable thing, "All first drafts are excrement." Do not make the mistake of typing your first draft and then rush off to the writer's conference or send out query letters. Three good drafts are the bare minimum.

Read your prose OUT LOUD. You'll be amazed at the boneheaded things you catch.

I know that you're writing a book within the Christian genre, and I totally respect that. But it's very important to remember one thing. All compelling fiction is about character. The minute you stop thinking of your novel as a story about a character and start thinking about your novel as a story as metaphysical, you introduce a level of artificiality that will inhibit your story. Your narrative will seem as if you're simply moving pieces around on a chessboard. Make the characters real and everything else takes care of itself.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
No advice here, since I'm myself struggling to write (well, try to write) a novel, but I wish you good luck!
Thanks for the good wishes! What type of book are you trying to write?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

I know that you're writing a book within the Christian genre, and I totally respect that. But it's very important to remember one thing. All compelling fiction is about character. The minute you stop thinking of your novel as a story about a character and start thinking about your novel as a story as metaphysical, you introduce a level of artificiality that will inhibit your story. Your narrative will seem as if you're simply moving pieces around on a chessboard. Make the characters real and everything else takes care of itself.
Thanks for the suggestions. I probably do need to start making notes because sometimes as I'm driving or whatever, I will have "snatches of possible dialogue" running through my mind.
The only thing I have a question about is your last suggestion. I'm not totally sure what you mean by "metaphysical." Can you talk to me a little more about this? I think I get ya on that, but any additional input you can give me would be appreciated. I do understand that you have to be exceedingly careful not to get "preachy" if you are writing within the Christian genre. I have seen even some of the authors whom I regard as excellent writers get a bit preachy and "heavy-handed" on occasion about the Christian message. At least, that's my amateur opinion. Obviously not theirs or their editors! Not surprisingly, I read a lot of Christian fiction myself. I think it helps that I know what I like...and what I don't.

Actually, one of the books I am planning to order from Amazon is entitled The Complete Idiot's Book to Writing Christian Fiction. From examining excerpts/reviews of it, it appears to address avoiding some of the common pitfalls peculiar to writing Christian fiction.

Congrats on your own book, BTW.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:18 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,222,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I probably do need to start making notes because sometimes as I'm driving or whatever, I will have "snatches of possible dialogue" running through my mind.
The only thing I have a question about is your last suggestion. I'm not totally sure what you mean by "metaphysical." Can you talk to me a little more about this? I think I get ya on that, but any additional input you can give me would be appreciated. I do understand that you have to be exceedingly careful not to get "preachy" if you are writing within the Christian genre. I have seen even some of the authors whom I regard as excellent writers get a bit preachy and "heavy-handed" on occasion about the Christian message. At least, that's my amateur opinion. Obviously not theirs or their editors! Not surprisingly, I read a lot of Christian fiction myself. I think it helps that I know what I like...and what I don't.

Actually, one of the books I am planning to order from Amazon is entitled The Complete Idiot's Book to Writing Christian Fiction. From examining excerpts/reviews of it, it appears to address avoiding some of the common pitfalls peculiar to writing Christian fiction.
:
Sure thing. Whether a novel has a social, religious, or philosophical theme, it is very easy to allow that theme to override everything else, when what matters most is the development of the character.

For example, while Dickens was deeply concerned with the social issues of his day, those issues only provided the backdrop against which those characters lived. We care first about David Copperfield and Oliver Twist in their struggles, rather than allowing the unfair conditions of the age be the center of the narrative itself. Hope that helps.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:52 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,255,561 times
I am going to have to take the same advice, "just keep writing"! I self-published my first Italian cookbook a couple of yrs. ago and I have writer's block with my second, even though it is half finished. I too, have a husband who is my biggest support. Good luck to you and let us know when you are done.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Sure thing. Whether a novel has a social, religious, or philosophical theme, it is very easy to allow that theme to override everything else, when what matters most is the development of the character.

For example, while Dickens was deeply concerned with the social issues of his day, those issues only provided the backdrop against which those characters lived. We care first about David Copperfield and Oliver Twist in their struggles, rather than allowing the unfair conditions of the age be the center of the narrative itself. Hope that helps.
Yep, that's pretty much what I thought you meant, and I totally agree.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
I am going to have to take the same advice, "just keep writing"! I self-published my first Italian cookbook a couple of yrs. ago and I have writer's block with my second, even though it is half finished. I too, have a husband who is my biggest support. Good luck to you and let us know when you are done.
Wishing you well with yours too! Are you doing another cookbook or something totally different?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing