Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 04:47 PM

869 posts, read 1,493,978 times

Advertisements

I am starting the arduous process of writing a novel. I am "loosely" basing it on some experiences of mine (well embellished) as well as completely fabricating things. But I am having some difficulty so any fellow writers (or just opinionated peoples) feel free to help! I'll credit you in my book

1) If I am loosely basing in on real life, but intend on removing any likeness to any persons, should I also choose a random obscure location? As some stories are specific to location, like a beach scene, I cant leave coastal regions..but I could make the location somewhere else. Opinions?
2) I cannot seem to decide on my lovely protagonist's name. Its a female and I can fill in the names of supporting characters but my leading lady is proving difficult. For example, I don't want something cliche, or that is easily associated with a certain type of person, I don't want the reader to have negative or positive opinions from the jump, and I don't want something associated with an existing piece of work, such as the name Bella or Jace. Any suggestions for names you love?
3) I want my protagonist's story to start at a specific time in her life, which involves self reflection on the day of her mother's funeral but I have read on a few sites that opening with a funeral or inter-musings is not a great way to begin. Any thoughts on that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 07:23 PM

8,548 posts, read 10,969,065 times
In order to pick a name for her, it would help to know more about her.
Tell us more:
Ethnic group, age, character, occupation, likes, dislikes etc.
Using a real location would depend on the significance of doing so.
Is it absolutely imperative to use a real location?
The novel I am involved in begins with an auto accident, and from that point, much of the novel is in retrospect.
I used the New England area as the subject location, but towns and cities are fabrications.
I have just recently, after years of neglect, started writing again.
This forum was the catalyst to get me off my duff, and get going on it.
It helps while drafting characters and dialog, if you know how the novel ends.
Knowing how a story ends helps in formulating characters, dialog, and actions through out the story.
Good luck with your project.
Bob.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:58 AM

3,244 posts, read 1,309,108 times
When I started mine years ago, I had a certain idea going, and decided to make a "frame" to hang it all on. Basically I made the beginning, the middle and the end sections, and then after deciding how I wanted the ending to go, the rest fell into place fairly easily.
As for real places, it's really up to you. In mine, I alluded to places without the real names, mainly because I didn't want folks to be upset if my descriptions weren't true to life, etc. I was vague, but only enough to situate my location and such.
Names say so much, and give a "feel" to our characters. First I picture my character in my mind, imagine him/her as a real person, how they grew up, where they grew up, their folks and so on. The characters told me who they are.
I don't know if that helps or not, but that how I did it.
After that the real fun begins with all the things they will say, how they say it and all the things they will do. I love it!

Old 08-15-2012, 12:43 PM

I also asked similar questions on another forum, and I think that ive decided to go fiction on all persons places and things, gives me more freedom that way. I wouldnt want someone to say "thats not right". The tentative name is Reagan. She is from the the south, likely georgia, although I havent decided completely. She is white, 15-18. Sort of average but definately a follower. So I am using a working name that may change later, but I need something to put in my character analysis.

Ruby- I am using the snowflake method so I havent gotten to the steps of actually outlining scenes and such yet. I am working on character descriptions right now. But I am also contemplating the all important first paragraph. I think I decided to open with some reflection on a soon to occur sexual activity, for the first time and the potential shame associated.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:46 PM

23 posts, read 65,982 times
1. You really can't go wrong either way. Whatever feels most comfortable for you.

2. If you aren't 100% satisfied with Raegan, this website might help: 20000-NAMES.COM: Special Names Menu, page 1 of 2

It has names broken down into categories so you can choose something that fits with her personality. Alternatively, the program Scrivener has a built-in name generator that can be really helpful. There is a free 30 day trial on their website: Literature and Latte - Scrivener Trial

3. If you think that a funeral scene is the best way to start the story, then stick with it. You can't please everyone and you shouldn't compromise the most important aspects of your story unless you feel 100% confident about it. At least that's my opinion on the matter.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:49 PM

8,548 posts, read 10,969,065 times
Dave,In what decade does your novel take place?
That alone could dictate what her name could, or should be.
Being from the south, it conjures up all kinds of thoughts and possibilities.
My personal choice would be something other than Reagan.
That name and politics seem to go hand in hand.
Bob.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:49 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
"My personal choice would be something other than Reagan.
That name and politics seem to go hand in hand."
...and the Exorcist...

Search and replace allows you to name her whatever you want. For speed in writing, Ida.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Dave,In what decade does your novel take place?
That alone could dictate what her name could, or should be.
Being from the south, it conjures up all kinds of thoughts and possibilities.
My personal choice would be something other than Reagan.
That name and politics seem to go hand in hand.
Bob.
My protaganist is born in 1986-87 ish, so Reagan is politically appropriate at the time. I know that politics and the name Reagan are overlapping but I never really associate the name with politics, if that makes sense. I am from NC, and the story will take place in likely GA. I didnt really think about the possibility of the political climate of the location having a bearing on the name. That is interesting. Well its just a working name at this point. Is your name Bob or are you suggesting Bob?

Old 08-22-2012, 01:07 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,537,658 times
How about Catherine or Deborah? No nicknames. Neither are very popular now, but both are still used.

Catherine always seemed "southern" to me. (What do I know, I am a Yankee from New England!)

Old 08-22-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
How about Catherine or Deborah? No nicknames. Neither are very popular now, but both are still used.

Catherine always seemed "southern" to me. (What do I know, I am a Yankee from New England!)
I hate Deborah but I was born in the mid 80's myself and I dont know anyone named those. Although on my list of name is Charlotte, Anna/Beth/Belle. Katelyn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing