Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 09:47 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,787,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
You do not want that car. Very good odds it has been abused.
Actually I'm not in the market for any car, I was just browsing and making an observation. I'm far too busy beating my 2003 Civic to death right now. And just don't have the time to beat on another car right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 09:50 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,177,232 times
Ho, ya I ralely msesd up , I cnat selpl a tihng.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:56 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,241,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Visit the origami pig thread.
Excellent!

Old 09-14-2012, 10:00 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,727,330 times
The problem I see is that people get too uptight when errors are pointed out. If I screw up (Who, me? Yeah, you!) and someone corrects me I appreciate it. As long as they're not being jerks about it I'm good. It keeps me from doing it again, and I find that to be a good thing.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:07 AM

Why do feel the need to point them out?
A flaw in your personality?
Or a inferiority complex and you over compensate by pointing out others mistakes in an attempt to fell better about yourself.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:27 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,727,330 times
No. It is an attempt to educate those around us, at least is is for me. I can't answer for others. I always assume that if one is using incorrect words here, they are using them in everyday life. Using one in front of one's supervisor is not a good thing. Any time you see me correct someone it is not meant to be cruel or make me feel superior. It is simply an attempt too educate someone. Nothing more. If you ever see me screw up, point it out. I am not perfect!

When others get pissy about it I remind them about Edjukashun

Old 09-14-2012, 10:31 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,147,376 times
This is typical: 2009 honda 2009
not that it's in Spanish but in the lack of info.

Quote:
2009 honda accord 2009 pocas millas titulo limpio ....... 650 537 6530
and pure laziness: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/3271301244.html
no pics included.

Quote:
car runs but need work interior is clea black leather need to sell it asap taking offers thanks 650 2079278 no emails please call or text

Old 09-14-2012, 10:41 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,153,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
Do you ever read a for sale ad, and haven't a clue what they are talking about. I was just browsing for sale auto ads on Craigslist and saw this:

What the hell are "20's?" the music the car got cost me 2000? Seriously, is English a second language for this person. I recently emailed another person selling a bird cage asking for dimensions of the cage, I get a reply back they don't know but it's big. Are they trying Not to sell there item?
Every day I find an ad on craigslist that makes absolutely no sense at all.

People just assume that if you would be interested in buying it, you will understand what they are talking about. I have had to contact the seller more than once and ask them what it was that they were selling. LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-14-2012, 11:12 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,241,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
No. It is an attempt to educate those around us, at least is is for me. I can't answer for others. I always assume that if one is using incorrect words here, they are using them in everyday life. Using one in front of one's supervisor is not a good thing. Any time you see me correct someone it is not meant to be cruel or make me feel superior. It is simply an attempt too educate someone. Nothing more. If you ever see me screw up, point it out. I am not perfect!

When others get pissy about it I remind them about Edjukashun
"to" not "too". You've been corrected, as requested.

I agree with your post. Years ago I said "discolate" rather than the correct "dislocate". I said it often enough that someone pointed it out. It's not that I didn't know the correct word, I just said it wrong.

I have to shake my head when people say "It's just a forum. There's no need to be so correct." or "In real life I write and speak correctly." I always point out that you do as you train, so they are kidding themselves if they think they're getting it right in one area and not another. I always wonder why they would intentionally use two different levels of communication.

There's a mod on another CD forum who writes so poorly that I think they have some kind of disability. I don't see how a mod who can't put a sentence together gets to be a mod. They can't get their point across sometimes, and I'[m not likely to read their post several times to figure it out on my own. Not my job.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:41 PM

http://bullwinkle.toonzone.net/mrknow4.wav

And here he is, that master of misinformation, Mr. Know-It-All.
aka Tek_Freek.
You must be loved by everyone as you go around correcting everyone you come across.
Do you ever think that some people may not really appreciate it or your assumptions?
Why interject with your English lesson as all it does it take away from the topic at hand and serves no other reason than to Hy-jack a thread.
Why not go and start a thread on this subject in the correct forum and stop playing grammar cop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing