Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 10:26 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,436,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoxTerra View Post
Perhaps consider moving to a place where everyone does everything the way YOU want them to so you won't be annoyed and irritated. Problem solved!
So you would be ok with a teacher telling your child that "I had went to the store and I seen John, Bob, and they're friends with a rod iron table for sell" is correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 10:33 PM

6,790 posts, read 2,899,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I had thought that al-U-minium thing was a Monty Python skit! Really, they call aluminum that in UK?

No truer could it be said, "Two countries, separated by a common language."
The term al-U-minium is spelled and pronounced that way to conform with the -ium names of most other elements. But, here in Australia al-U-minium is used by that spelling and pronunciation because that's the way it's spelled and pronounced in England. Australians are still very much tied to England in many respects, including accent. In fact many 'English-isms' that are used here by Australians are believed by many to be Australian. The former Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin, used the *euphemism "Crikey" all the time (irritatingly so) as though this was an endeared 'Australian' expression. Not so. I've never heard the average Australian use that term. "Crikey" is VERY English. Similarly so with the supposed great Aussie adjective, "bloody", which IS commonly used here. Believed even by Australians to be 'Australian', 'bloody' is an English cuss word that is used just as often by the English.

Sometimes the meaning of words appear to change officially and without prior warning. If my memory serves me correctly, I believe that the terms 'flammable and inflammable' have actually reversed their meaning since I was a lad! I'm also just as sure that 'its' and it's' have been tampered with. Wasn't 'its' always worthy of an apostrophe (it's) at one time?

* "Crikey!" is a less-blasphemous corruption of the cursing "Christ!" Similarly so with 'bloody' which apparently comes from an old blasphemy, "Christ's blood."

Old 06-11-2017, 11:07 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
The term al-U-minium is spelled and pronounced that way to conform with the -ium names of most other elements. But, here in Australia al-U-minium is used by that spelling and pronunciation because that's the way it's spelled and pronounced in England. Australians are still very much tied to England in many respects, including accent. In fact many 'English-isms' that are used here by Australians are believed by many to be Australian. The former Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin, used the *euphemism "Crikey" all the time (irritatingly so) as though this was an endeared 'Australian' expression. Not so. I've never heard the average Australian use that term. "Crikey" is VERY English. Similarly so with the supposed great Aussie adjective, "bloody", which IS commonly used here. Believed even by Australians to be 'Australian', 'bloody' is an English cuss word that is used just as often by the English.

Sometimes the meaning of words appear to change officially and without prior warning. If my memory serves me correctly, I believe that the terms 'flammable and inflammable' have actually reversed their meaning since I was a lad! I'm also just as sure that 'its' and it's' have been tampered with. Wasn't 'its' always worthy of an apostrophe (it's) at one time?

* "Crikey!" is a less-blasphemous corruption of the cursing "Christ!" Similarly so with 'bloody' which apparently comes from an old blasphemy, "Christ's blood."
My English husband says "bloody" all the time. Too much, actually.

Although your meanings could be different from ours here in the USA, I always thought "flammable" and "inflammable" meant the same thing. Two strange words in our language.

No, I have absolutely no memory of "it's" always being correct. The apostrophe is used when you're forming a contraction. The way I see it used lately is the same way I see a lot of pronouns used; the writer just throws an apostrophe in there. Because they can. "It's (it is) going to be a nice day." The apostrophe indicates that something has been left out, in this case "is" has been left out. Incorrect usage might be "the dog left it's bone." Means "the dog left it is bone" so it doesn't make sense.

Pleeze, no one kerrect me cuz it's the middle of the nite here, lol. I seen the moon. Beddie buy.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:53 AM

24,097 posts, read 32,443,737 times
I live in North Eastern OH, although I am from Long Island NY.

I love NE OH.

However, I do not love this. - People always say "My car needs washed: or "this house needs sold". What ever happened to "to be"????

Strange usage of "anymore" as in "I now shop at the Giant Eagle on Elm Rd. ANYMORE"

Or - "My daughter lives in Florida but she visits us four times a year, anymore".

Old 06-12-2017, 02:43 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,296,304 times
The first time I ever heard "come with" without anything after it was when we moved to the Chicago area from Texas. It makes perfect sense that that has its origins in another language (komm mit). As in, "We're going to the mall. Do you want to come with?"

In Texas we said, "You're leaving already? You just barely got here." Of course most of knew it wasn't grammatical, but still...we practiced "street language" and said many things we wouldn't say if we were talking to the pastor or our teacher. I think most of us knew the difference, however. Today, I'm not so sure.

Old 06-12-2017, 06:06 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,730,345 times
Where exactly in Illinois are you speaking of? I'm very curious as I moved form Illinois after living there over 40 years. Illinois has many different demographics you know and location surely comes into play here! I lived in the S.W. suburbs of Chicago most recently and they definitely speak differently than if you're 3 hours South!

Old 06-12-2017, 08:47 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,296,304 times
Downers Grove

Old 06-12-2017, 08:55 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Its notable in some phrases like "come with" which is used in the Midwest. This is like the German "komm mit." Similar to the way the Spanish-English "this thing weighs." It cuts off the last word while keeping the meaning.
My mother and other family members say, "Please?" when they want something repeated or clarified, which I've always understood to be a throwback to the German "Bitte?" used in the same way.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:11 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,883,528 times
The English language whether we are talking British, Australian, American, etc. is all subject to regional use. Some of this regional use is "bad English". (I'm posting it that way because "bad English" would not be a complete thought.) Say using contractions, like ain't is "bad English" yet it is used in a lot of places (not just the south) and only corrected in school.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:20 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,883,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
I have to restrain myself on this forum - it's too tempting to write a post to everyone correcting their grammar, and never mind the spelling. I'd probably get myself banned before too long.

About spelling, I blame the texting; no one spells anymore. Worst, however, is the "there, their, they're," "its and it's," and other combinations like this. Can hardly keep from becoming another grammar Natzi on this forum, but don't think it'd be too appreciated by the recipients! (I'm with Retriever on the punctuation)
It has been like that for years before text. You may have spell check on your web browser but not grammar check. Your word processor might have grammar check but it won't pick up every grammatical error. Also I'm guilty of this and everyone else is, Swype (especially on the latest update on chrome) will often over auto-correct. You use it's and it may automatically go to its instead. Many times you gotta watch the word bar to make sure the first word isn't effected. As I said in the parenthesis, in Chrome if the word is spelt wrong it wont take it that you are fixing that word but rather a new word. Say I botched method or it got changed with the next word. If whatever you are typing ins't a word, Swype gets mad and either auto-corrects or asks "do you want to add that to your dictionary."

Texting and forum short hand and acronyms are another issue altogether...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing