Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 08:59 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,233,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Plausibility. Possibility. Imagnation. Marketability.

Make Venus plausible by changing it to an unknown planet.

Anything is possible, i.e. plexiglass!

Image it now and it is true tomorrow.

Marketability is the book publisher's role.
Yeah I guess so.

I'm ditching that idea anyway, but maybe I should have a go at the other one. It's quite random. If you see "Derek Something and the Ostrich" on the shelves in 10 years time you can all give yourselves a pat on the back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 07:26 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,445,190 times
Default Here's your chance to contribute to not-so-great literature

I'd like to invite you writers to come have a bit of fun with us on the Other Topics Forum, where we are working on a book, cooperatively and collaboratively.

AksarbeN started a work entitled From Flatrock, the story begins. . . I cannot recall having so much fun, or laughing so hard, with this laptop. The story takes strange little twists and turns, and is sort of a mystery/romance/horror/historical fiction/you-name-it novel.

Come help us write this. AksarbeN intends to shares the proceeds from the sale of the book with all who contribute, BTW.

Old 04-26-2008, 03:47 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,233,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
I'd like to invite you writers to come have a bit of fun with us on the Other Topics Forum, where we are working on a book, cooperatively and collaboratively.

AksarbeN started a work entitled From Flatrock, the story begins. . . I cannot recall having so much fun, or laughing so hard, with this laptop. The story takes strange little twists and turns, and is sort of a mystery/romance/horror/historical fiction/you-name-it novel.

Come help us write this. AksarbeN intends to shares the proceeds from the sale of the book with all who contribute, BTW.
Oooh it's tempting but I can see the risk of having no life ever again... Maybe I could just look in... just for a moment...

Last edited by RH1; 04-26-2008 at 03:57 AM..

Old 04-26-2008, 11:08 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoproud View Post
Hi there, other writers! I'm glad to know there are others here on the forum that can't help themselves but to write. I have written two plays, and am very close to finishing my first novel. Poetry comes easiest, and I post it in the Gamer's Creative Corner.

I don't read any books about writing, or about how to write better. I just follow my head and my heart, and hope the content holds up. To me, the most important part of my writing process is research. I would be lost without the library and internet!!
poconoproud, how exciting that you write plays! Are they comedies, dramas - ? That's my favorite form of expression and I dearly admire people who can make something so fragile come alive.

RDSLOTS mentions upthread the Flatrock continuing story - yes, everyone please come and add along, give it some new twists and turns! It's great practice

Old 04-27-2008, 08:06 AM

How cool, poconoproud. I have written plays -- for the puppet theater -- and absolutely loved it. I seem to think in "play format" a lot of time. There's big money to be made in screenwriting, isn't there?

Old 04-27-2008, 11:37 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
How cool, poconoproud. I have written plays -- for the puppet theater -- and absolutely loved it. I seem to think in "play format" a lot of time. There's big money to be made in screenwriting, isn't there?
Did someone say puppet theater?
Act Three. Chicken Diva.
Yet another testimony to the power chickens have over our hearts and minds. Contributing editor Jack Hitt reports on an opera about Chicken Little. It's performed with dressed-up styrofoam balls, it's sung in Italian, and it's—no kidding—able to make grown men cry. (13 minutes)
Check out Act 3 (click "Full Episode" to listen): This American Life: Poultry Slam '07

LA PULCINA: The legend, the website!

Old 04-30-2008, 05:37 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,111,043 times
[quote=delusianne;3586967]poconoproud, how exciting that you write plays! Are they comedies, dramas - ? That's my favorite form of expression and I dearly admire people who can make something so fragile come alive.

Yes, I enjoy it! I have written two plays, both dramatic. The first I wrote is called Twist of Fate, and is written from the perspective of The Fates, from mythology. The Fates are the narrators, and all of the other characters lines are written in iambic pentameter. I would truly love to see it performed on stage someday. The other I wrote is titled God, Man & The Devil, and looks at the creation of man through the eyes of Lucifer, the fallen angel.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:48 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,111,043 times
Quote:
If anyone know's how to make that happen, let me know, too. I have always dreamed of being paid for my work! I just do not know how to go about that as easily as I go about writing!

I am going to look up puppet theater, I haven't heard of it!

Old 04-30-2008, 07:27 AM

Default Where is this fellow, Punch?

Years and years ago, right at about 30 now, I think, I was director of a small puppeteering group that was funded through the area's Parks & Rec Department. It was great fun.

We had a theater, a large wooden box on wheels, roughly the size of a side-by-side refrigerator, and we generally staged our shows on Saturday and Sunday afternoons in one of the larger classrooms at the local Community Arts Center. The group designed, and made, the puppets -- all sorts from hand to stick to shadow, but we were a bit lean when it came to marionettes. There was one fellow who had some rather large marionettes, and he would stand outside the little theater, and work one of the marionettes as pre-show entertainment, or as part of the show, on occasion.

Of course, we performed the traditional Punch & Judy routine, but that is geared more towards older children, really, and adults. We wrote a lot of our scripts, sometimes adapting favorite children's stories, but I much preferred writing many of our scripts.

In your search, see if you come across the puppeteer, Bil Baird, or the Puppeteers of America organization. Jim Henson studied under Baird, as best I recall.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:37 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,131,557 times
I have been reading this thread with great interest over the past week or so. It is exciting to see that we have so many talented writers on this homey little book forum. Sometimes, our greatest treasures are right before our eyes, unrecognized.

Poconoproud, I do hope that novel gets written and published one day. I hope to be in a standing room only audience for one of your play's debuts, also.

Rh1 and ontheroad, I hope that we are all curled up in front of a warm fire with your novels and poetry collections in the not too distant future. What wonderful endeavors.

RDSLOTS, I find it very ironic to hear of your foray into puppetland. I, too, once wrote, created all sorts of puppets (including marionettes), and presented puppet shows. I started first with a group of interested children at a school that I was teaching at, and then later, a the public library. It was wonderful fun. We even did "The Pirates of Penzance" with the children loving the Gilbert and Sullivan tunes that we included.

As a child I was absolutely sure that I would grow to become a celebrated author of mind-boggling fiction. I churned out several wonderful stories a year (wonderful only to me). They were all in hardcover (you remember the black and white composition books), and they all strangely resembled Heidi, Black Stallion and Nancy Drew stories.

I finally realized my dream by writing ad copy for a small town newspaper!

I did learn from my own experience, however, to appreciate good literature myself and what a valuable teaching tool story and poetry writing can be for children. Often those who make the least impact and "noise" within a classroom have the most marvelous stories bouncing around in their heads just waiting for someone to show them the door out.

I found that many non-readers quickly attained reading skills by daily writing a little bit in their "stories". Some of these stories developed into lovely mini-tomes and their young writers gained a confidence that they probably would not have realized before. I hope some of them are continuing to write, if only for their own pleasure.

I am very impressed with the number of genuine writers that are represented here and wish you all great success and satisfaction with your wonderful talent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing