Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2009, 01:47 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,042,282 times

Advertisements

Five to ten years ago, my online "home" was the misc.writing newsgroup. It was a vibrant, active group, with helpful information, friendships formed (and at least one marriage), and real-life get-togethers called "wrevels".

Has anyone else from the old misc.writing crowd found their way here to c-d?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 05:19 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,349,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
Five to ten years ago, my online "home" was the misc.writing newsgroup. It was a vibrant, active group, with helpful information, friendships formed (and at least one marriage), and real-life get-togethers called "wrevels".

Has anyone else from the old misc.writing crowd found their way here to c-d?
I was on it briefly about 10 years ago, and quit almost immediately. I was attacked and called an outright liar because I said I'd won enough $$ in a writing contest to pay for my then-computer. No one believed me, in spite of it being a matter of public record. I've found other and better places than that since then.

Old 07-12-2009, 04:56 PM

11,531 posts, read 30,373,979 times
Default Thats terrlble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
I was on it briefly about 10 years ago, and quit almost immediately. I was attacked and called an outright liar because I said I'd won enough $$ in a writing contest to pay for my then-computer. No one believed me, in spite of it being a matter of public record. I've found other and better places than that since then.
Five dollar stories have been around for a long time. I've been around some strange groups. A few really didn't want to help 'outsiders' even though each member was at one time an outsider too. This group is starting out good, I hope it statys this way.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:34 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,349,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Five dollar stories have been around for a long time. I've been around some strange groups. A few really didn't want to help 'outsiders' even though each member was at one time an outsider too. This group is starting out good, I hope it statys this way.
For the most part, what a person gets writing poetry is a couple free copies of whatever it's published in. In my case, it was a local college writing contest (I didn't have a choice about entering since I was taking a creative writing class), and the person who organized it felt very strongly that money was the best of all forms of appreciation and she worked very hard at getting donations from local businesses. I didn't win first place, but I did win enough to pay for my first refurbished pc. We also had a local writing group, but most of the members were involuntary short term transplants and most of the time was spent on having them whine about how soon their husbands would be transferred back closer to home. That was why I tried the misc.writing group, there were some other good newsgroups at the time, and the attitude I got was totally unexpected, to say the least.

Old 12-23-2009, 02:24 PM

100 posts, read 235,016 times
I was on there back in the 2001-2003 time frame (can't remember exactly). It was an awful group!

I can recall only one topic about literature at all during my few weeks there, and that was started by me. I posted a list of some current books I thought were good, and asked for some recommendations, and got slammed because my selections were "formulaic" or "uninteresting." The people weren't pretending that they'd ever read the books I posted, they were basing their opinions off of synopsis's they'd found online! Not one poster actually listed any books they found interesting (which was the whole point of the thread).

Barring that lone thread started by me, all I remember is that the group had thread after endless thread of the most vile racist crap imaginable. I remember there was this Jewish clique that would randomly post anti-Arabic jokes.

Absolutely no worth whatsoever as a writing group. Whatever it was when Rob was there is not what it is anymore (or at least what it was then).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing