Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2009, 02:21 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,375,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
My ex used to say your all's (-----), possessive form of y'all.

In WV we said youse guys and youns. Lot of Pennsylvania Dutch and Italian influence there.
youse = NYC influence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 02:50 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,458,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
youse = NYC influence
Actually "youns" is pronounced more like "yuhns" in north central W. Va where there's a weird mix of northern and southern going on. We're too far north to be rebels, and too far south to be yankees...and pretty close to Ohio too...we love everyone.

Well, bless yer hearts, y'all, yuhns'r goin' with, aintcha? Where'r yuhns agoin? Up air ta at air far department where at boy has em tars fir sale. You gettin new tars on yer car are ya? Iss'l be d'second time won'tin it?

Ah, takes me back to my childhood. My big sisters used to slap me for talking like that.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:56 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,028,557 times
I hate when people refer to a person's spouse or parent as their "old man" or "old women". I absolutely cannot stand it.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:23 PM

239 posts, read 613,744 times
"Same difference." HUH?!

Old 07-16-2009, 05:59 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,375,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegDrew View Post
"Same difference." HUH?!
my father used to say that...
and also "hurry up and wait"

Old 07-16-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I hate when people refer to a person's spouse or parent as their "old man" or "old women". I absolutely cannot stand it.
How about Mo'lady?

Old 07-16-2009, 06:45 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,870,561 times
"Baby Daddy" or "Baby Momma" .....

Old 07-16-2009, 07:17 PM

It is important in the understanding of word definitions to know the root words too. It is also important to understand the original meaning of phrases. I hear phrases being misused by mostly younger people who probably never heard them before. Not that their use is wrong since it is usually the young that give them meaning in the first place in the form of slang.

For example, "hot and bothered" is a phrase from the 1950s, and was more acceptable than saying horny. Horny was in use then but not in "polite company", which of course is another out of date phrase.

"Hurry up and wait" is Army slang that goes back at least to WW II if not to the Roman Legions. Soldiers are forever being given orders too early by superiors, then forced by lessor superiors to rush to line up, ready for whatever, and end up standing in line waiting because "whatever" isn't ready for them...running out of the barracks to line up for chow before the cook is ready to feed them is an example.

Can't defend "same difference" except they mean "it's the same thing", and are trying to be cute. One of those errors that people know is wrong but do it anyway, such as saying "I couldn't care less". Lot of folks say "same ol, same ol", or SOS DD, too. I see nothing wrong with an author using those as long as it is in keeping with the way his charactor talks; does anyone disagree?

Old 07-16-2009, 09:43 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,186,560 times
Whatever. Term meaning, I don't care, say whatever you want. I hate that. It means you've already lost control of the situation. They don't want to hear anything else you want to say.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:27 PM

17 posts, read 25,340 times
Few more here...as you might have guessed (another one), cliches and catch phrases are one of my pet peeves (oops, another, can't get away from them!).

There are so many irritating catch phrases coming from today's cables news, like "waiting for the other shoe to drop"

Take this offline

Another I can't stand is "We're" pregnant or baby instead of "a" baby or "the" baby (e.g., new clothes FOR BABY).

misuse of could of, would of, rather than would have, could have.

more to come
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing