Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 09:02 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,318,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaJay View Post
This is a great post. I am calling myself a writer in the hopes that I will live up to the title. I teach full-time and have no plans to quit. Plus, I get lots of ideas from my interactions with my kids and colleagues. I just started contributing to a pretty widely-read blog about education in NYC, which is where I teach.

My students and I are going to do NaNoWriMo this year, which we are all pretty excited about. Though I think my long-term focus will be more on articles/essays than fiction. I have one essay ready to shop around (I took a continuing ed class about writing for publication- definitely a good move and something I'd recommend) and I also have an idea for a non-fiction picture book for older kids.

Finding the time is the biggest challenge. I also have a 2 year old, so I can get stuff done in dribs and drabs, but it's not really ideal.
Hey, I totally get that. My first novel was written with an 8, 6, and 4 year old running around my house. That's probably why it sucked so badly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 10:06 PM

88,946 posts, read 85,461,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaJay View Post
This is a great post. I am calling myself a writer in the hopes that I will live up to the title. I teach full-time and have no plans to quit. Plus, I get lots of ideas from my interactions with my kids and colleagues. I just started contributing to a pretty widely-read blog about education in NYC, which is where I teach.

My students and I are going to do NaNoWriMo this year, which we are all pretty excited about. Though I think my long-term focus will be more on articles/essays than fiction. I have one essay ready to shop around (I took a continuing ed class about writing for publication- definitely a good move and something I'd recommend) and I also have an idea for a non-fiction picture book for older kids.

Finding the time is the biggest challenge. I also have a 2 year old, so I can get stuff done in dribs and drabs, but it's not really ideal.
I found that once I started to say out loud that I am a writer, or telling people "I write", I began to believe it more myself.

I work in NYC, and I took a few of the writers workshops offered by Gotham.

It's tough chasing a 2-year-old! Mine just turned 18 and left for college. I have this delicious sense of freedom.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:15 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,129,803 times
Yes, I'm a freelance writer, making a little money. Previously I was a magazine writer/editor, making a lot of money. (Sigh. Those were the days.)

But I would never tell a single soul he or she was not "a writer". Getting paid isn't always an indication--I wouldn't call my paid work a little slice of artist's heaven and my "for fun" unpublished stuff less-than. In fact, it may be the other way around. Getting paid isn't always the indication of what a writer "is," IMO.

But I see what you're getting at. You want to know who writes professionally, right? And that's a valid question. I mean if some shmo who's never managed to get a word published decides to come along and tear apart somebody else's writing style, it would help that person (the writer) to know that he or she was dealing with unwarranted crabbiness, not a potentially helpful critique. Like any art, writing tends to be a pretty insecure biz. You're only as good as your last published whatever (novel; article)...or at least that's how it often feels.

So yes, I feel this was a legitimate question. But I do believe in my heart that there are many, many people who are writers...whether they write professionally or not. (I have reason to think this: I, the gutless wonder, wrote literally for decades before making it an actual career.) And I do think people who love to write should keep going. People love all sorts of creative things. Whether or not we're "the pros" in our field of choice, we should be able to keep on doing it and, yes, say we're writers. But that's just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing