Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 11:13 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times

Advertisements

I don't consider myself a writer - although I've been published many times. I'm a story teller. I bring real stories about real people to life. My style is not journalistic nor even novel. As far as I know there is no genre that exactly describe it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 11:29 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutleynut View Post
I hope I didn't touch any nerves with this thread. All I'm trying to do is level with you in hopes that you'll move forward and fulfill your most cherished aspiration of seeing your name in print and having total strangers react to it in a positive fashion. Hope this helps.

I have the ambition and I do write but it lacks cohesion and focus. I do not have the language sometimes and when I go back I am confused as to what I meant to say. I have started to write stream of consciousness and try not to be self conscious about the obvious confusion I see when I go back to read it. It all seems so certain and clear as I write it?! I am humbled each time I have a thought and try to put it on paper only to find some gibberish I cannot connect to what I had been thinking of.
If I ever do get what I am trying to say down on paper, I am not looking to see my name in print, though it will be nice, or to be famous which I am sure will suck. I am writing because I need people to know my story. I am hoping to finally get release from the emotional effects of the evil done to me, I think it will make a difference to others, and possibly get justice for a lot of powerless people who are still suffering today from abuses inflicted and crimes committed against them as children. I am writing because it was always my intent to be a writer from as young as age 3 or 4.
My story is the thing that presses me now, I am pretty certain if I do ever get it out of me, there are some other things in there to be written about as well.
It is terribly difficult to write about gut-wrenching terrible events that have been carefully hidden from a cruel society for years. I describe it as riding a tiger: can't get off and afraid to let go. Cohesion is a bridge between two thoughts. Focus comes with time and perfecting your voice. I think it begins with discovering your style of writing.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:33 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,726,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Thank you. Obviously, I struck a nerve among some, but my point remains the same. The writer writes to communicate, not for therapy, which means there has to be an audience, no matter how small it might be. Saying that one writes for oneself without need for anyone else to read it and react to it is the equivalent of saying masturbation is the same thing as sex. Sure, the end result is roughly the same in physical terms, but without another participant it is a lonely and empty act. What's more, given the number of posts on this board about finding publishers and the whatnot, given the number of attendees at the million "Get Published" workshops, writers understand this on an instinctual level.

Mind you, as I was very careful to say at the beginning of my post--and which some of you cheerfully ignored to write your screeds--it's not about the money. It's about finding an audience for your work.
To say that an artist who is not received (not seeing, read, heard) is not an artist and likening his or her creative works to masturbation is an ignorant statement and shows, on your part, quite a lack of understanding of art and the creative process.
And no, it is not essentially about finding an audience.
To be received as an artist is a blessing (to be received as a human being is a blessing) but a "true" artist proceeds with his or her creative works regardless of who may or may not see that work.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:11 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
To say that an artist who is not received (not seeing, read, heard) is not an artist and likening his or her creative works to masturbation is an ignorant statement and shows, on your part, quite a lack of understanding of art and the creative process.
To be received as an artist is a blessing (to be received as a human being is a blessing) but a "true" artist proceeds with his or her creative works regardless of who may or may not see that work.
I stand by my definition. Nothing ignorant about it. A 'true' artist, whatever the heck that means, has an idea to get across to another person. Until then, no dice. Without an audience, a would-be artist is just a daydreamer, a person playing around, whether it is words, oils, or a musical instrument.

Last edited by cpg35223; 07-16-2009 at 12:19 PM..

Old 07-16-2009, 12:36 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,726,610 times
Quote:
I stand by my definition. Nothing ignorant about it. A 'true' artist, whatever the heck that means, has an idea to get across to another person. Until then, no dice. Without an audience, a would-be artist is just a daydreamer, a person playing around, whether it is words, oils, or a musical instrument.
Oh my goodness.

I best be quiet so as not to get censored.
Bite tongue ... breathe.
arrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhhh
Man, ... ummmmmm, o.k. ...

Old 07-16-2009, 12:38 PM

165 posts, read 396,062 times
This is my first post here, so please be gentle.

To introduce myself, I have been a writer since my teen years. I've been regularly published for more than 20 years now; I have self-published two novels and had one of them selected as a college textbook; I have one magazine article currently in print, with two more in queu for upcoming publication. With that background serving as my authority to opine, here goes:

I think that there are several categories of writers. First are wannabe writers (some of which have legitimate prospects, and some not). Next are hobby writers, who write for the love of it, whether they ever get published or not. Then there are published writers, who have actually gotten a check for at least one of their works. Finally, there are professional writers who get the majority of their income from writing.

All but the first can honestly call themselves writers, in my opinion.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:39 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
absolutely

thank you for this coyoteskye, so good to have this presented, it is a breath of fresh air, the quiet song in the wilderness, the tone that resonates as truth in the still silent center

Old 07-16-2009, 12:40 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,324,133 times
Quote:
In what category would you place those who receive posthumous recognition and an appreciative audience?

Old 07-16-2009, 12:53 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
Just a reminder from your friendly, neighborhood Moderator ..... Although we may not always agree, I would hope that, in this forum at least, we can all be supportive of each other. In other words, be nice. Please.

Thank you.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:57 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
One man's fact is another man's opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing