Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2009, 11:25 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,297,497 times

Advertisements

Like most writers I get most of my inspiration from events that happen or that I see happen in my life. Some are very personal. I have no problem being open and honest with my life, but how do I go about doing that without exposing those closest to me? I can change their names, and even give my characters different characteristics, but even with that I know that people will recognize themselves in my stories.

So how would you go about this? Would you ask permission before writing a character in your story that mirrors someone in your real life? Would you try to hide the character so that the person would not recoginze themselves?

Not all my story ideas come from my real life experiences, but a few do, and I don't know how to resolve this issue.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 03:03 PM

165 posts, read 395,958 times
My second novel was more fact than fiction. I changed the names of those involved, invented a character or three and marched on. Since having it out, several of the people involved have read it and none has complained about how I portrayed them.

In a "how to write" book I enjoyed once, the author said she makes herself immune from any action by describing her less likeable characters as having really small male parts. She has yet to have a man claim he's that character! LOL!

I didn't go that far, but I did make sure to give most characters good and bad moments, traits to match and personalities that flow with the events - just as real people's do.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:28 PM

76 posts, read 210,907 times
I have a non-fiction book that's being shopped around right now by my literary agent. Since some of the people in it are portrayed (quite honestly) in a less-than-flattering light, I changed location, hair/eye color, names, jobs, etc. It makes it hard for a person to 'prove' that I was talking about him/her, and (if the book sells and does well) it also protects the privacy of those people.

I didn't ask permission from the people I wrote about when I wrote the book, and I don't intend to do it now.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:08 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Raab View Post
My second novel was more fact than fiction. I changed the names of those involved, invented a character or three and marched on. Since having it out, several of the people involved have read it and none has complained about how I portrayed them.

In a "how to write" book I enjoyed once, the author said she makes herself immune from any action by describing her less likeable characters as having really small male parts. She has yet to have a man claim he's that character! LOL!

I didn't go that far, but I did make sure to give most characters good and bad moments, traits to match and personalities that flow with the events - just as real people's do.
Good idea! I also will combine a couple RL people into one character.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:50 AM

5,244 posts, read 4,708,001 times
This is a great question. I have never written a book but it has always been a goal. I am seriously considering it now. Let's say I get it published using my real name so now everyone who reads it knows where I live...what about the businesses in the book, wouldn't they guess/know they are being mentioned even though I changed the names? Would I still have to get their permission if I change the names?

Old 09-18-2009, 07:39 AM

165 posts, read 395,958 times
Unless your book portrays Acme Dry Cleaners as being the front for a bookie joint/brothel that cheats on their taxes, you should be fine.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:56 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Write as if everyone you know is dead. There you go.

While writing my current novel, I've had to tell my wife several times, "You are not a character in this novel." And she's really not.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:38 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,548,973 times
Wink moniker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutEve View Post
Like most writers I get most of my inspiration from events that happen or that I see happen in my life. Some are very personal. I have no problem being open and honest with my life, but how do I go about doing that without exposing those closest to me? I can change their names, and even give my characters different characteristics, but even with that I know that people will recognize themselves in my stories.

So how would you go about this? Would you ask permission before writing a character in your story that mirrors someone in your real life? Would you try to hide the character so that the person would not recoginze themselves?

Not all my story ideas come from my real life experiences, but a few do, and I don't know how to resolve this issue.

Thanks
i'd use a pseudonym... that's my plan...

kate aka sarahkate miller (not real name!)

Old 09-28-2009, 01:13 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,043,082 times
If the names are changed and there isn't a significant amount of nuance to the mannerism of the real-life person within the character (how a person holds a cigarette, the way they turn their head to the right just as they begin to ask a question) that is usually enough of an effort to shield real-life persons. Of course, the disclaimer at the front of the book always helps:

Any similarity of the imagined characters in this novel to real people is purely coincidental.

It also helps to refrain from putting in any outlines or notes a comment like "Gwen Collins is to be patterned after Heather Dawkins. Man, what a *****!!!!!!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing