Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 03:31 PM

16,074 posts, read 28,645,036 times

Advertisements

You can go on Helium, they have writing contests.
I've gone on there and done essays and debates, that are
rated, after 5 articles they pay a few bucks.

The only concern I have with the site is someone using
and publishing your work, who knows where and getting
paid high dollar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 07:34 PM

88,934 posts, read 85,461,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Raab View Post
The fun one is about to start. It's NANOWRIMO which stands for NAtional NOvel WRIting MOnth. You have to write a novel of at least 50,000 words (novella, really) but can only do it during the month of November. Everyone who completes one gets a nifty certificate and a printed and bound copy of the work, free.

It's a bit schlocky, but that silly "contest" is what got my first book written. My wife urged me to enter and do it, in the hopes it might help end some of "those" dreams of Vietnam. It not only accomplished that goal, but resulted in a successful book - and a second one. Both sell quite nicely, thank you. The NANOWRIMO book is used as a textbook at Appalachian State, in fact.

Go to the link below if you are interested in a little bit of writing practice - and just maybe a successful novel. National Novel Writing Month
Hey, thanks! I will check that out. Congrats on your own success, past and future.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:37 PM

You have to be careful, of course, but there are reputable ones. Writer's Digest holds a huge contest every year in the spring with multiple categories. There are also writing contests connected to scholarships, for those to whom that might apply. Some of the litmags run them also.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I'm going to start character bios for NaNo next week.
I just joined the site and read through the rules. Sounds pretty cool--I think I'm going to do it.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seque5tra View Post
The last time I entered a writing contest was in the fifth grade. It was a state wide essay writing contest with the theme "What the Constitution Means to Me". My essay was chosen to represent our school and so I was invited by town hall to read it aloud at a town hall meeting. They presented me with a $50 savings bond and a certificate of merit.

To think I had the undivided attention that night of the entire town council. And they applauded for me and gave me $50? Twenty years later, I can't get these same town hall clowns to respond to my repeated requests to get a rotting shade tree on my property cut down.

Maybe I should send them an essay with the theme "What a Dead Shade Tree Means to Me When It Falls on My House or My Neighbor's Head and We All Start Suing The Township".
I think you should do exactly that with a foreword consisting of your first two paragraphs, above.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:09 PM

40,048 posts, read 34,700,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
The only concern I have with the site is someone using and publishing your work, who knows where and getting
paid high dollar.
Before you submit anything to anyone (a website, a publisher, a contest office), here's what you should do--and I tell you this as a person who used to work in the publishing field:

Make a copy of your work, put it in an envelope, and mail it to yourself. When it arrives in your mailbox, do not open it, but instead put it somewhere safe. The postmark happens to be legal proof that will stand up in court--you've just copyrighted your material! (If someone else claims to have written it, let 'em try to prove that theirs is the original version. You have legal proof that they're lying).

Old 10-17-2009, 12:51 AM

16,074 posts, read 28,645,036 times
Makes sense, great idea.
Thank you

Old 10-17-2009, 04:39 AM

6,641 posts, read 13,608,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Make a copy of your work, put it in an envelope, and mail it to yourself. When it arrives in your mailbox, do not open it, but instead put it somewhere safe. The postmark happens to be legal proof that will stand up in court--you've just copyrighted your material! (If someone else claims to have written it, let 'em try to prove that theirs is the original version. You have legal proof that they're lying).
Mailing a manuscript doesn't create copyright. Writing creates copyright automatically. Reputable publisher don't want to deal with the headache of being sneaky. Work with those publishers and avoid the rest. If in doubt, don't submit.

Old 10-17-2009, 06:37 AM

40,048 posts, read 34,700,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Mailing a manuscript doesn't create copyright. Writing creates copyright automatically. Reputable publisher don't want to deal with the headache of being sneaky. Work with those publishers and avoid the rest. If in doubt, don't submit.
I don't see how "writing creates copyright automatically." If you write a story, and I take that story and put my name on it then submit it to a publisher, for all that publisher knows, I was the author.

Let's say the story goes on to achieve a degree of fame. You know perfectly well that you were the author of that story, and so you go to court, accusing me of plagiarism. How do you prove that the story was yours? I'd probably contend that it was you trying to rip me off, rather than the other way around.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:33 AM

165 posts, read 396,765 times
A "sealed envelope" wouldn't stand up in court. There are too many ways to unseal, insert and reseal envelopes, and courts know that.

These days, however, you might be able to show originality by emailing it to your self. emails are time-stamped automatically, cannot be faked and cannot be totally erased. It MIGHT work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing