Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 05:33 PM

532 posts, read 1,570,629 times

Advertisements

I use real nicknames of the real people in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 09:14 PM

687 posts, read 2,132,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticky909 View Post
I use real nicknames of the real people in my life.
Me too. I maintain a blog, and use fake names or nick names for everyone. My friends get a kick when they recognize themselves, as the nicknames I give to people are always based on personal stories. Now I've got friends clamoring for me to include them in my memoirs!

Altho my son was not happy when I posted a picture of us on vacation, because I'd exposed his identity to the cyber-world!

Old 12-13-2009, 06:03 PM

191 posts, read 458,884 times
A close friend of mine has published two memoirs. When he used real names he had to have each person (myself included, and he wrote nice stuff about me!) sign a contract that they would not sue the publishing house, author, editor, etc. Actually, come to think of it, even when he changed the name of ex-wife she had to sign a release.

So, I think unless you want a real legal hassle you may want to change the names, but if details make it obvious who the person is, even without revealing their name, you may still have to wade through legal sludge.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:58 PM

25 posts, read 41,797 times
i used to my fake name on my article about my life....
i m not feel comfortable when i use my real name on my story about my life....

Old 12-28-2009, 09:05 PM

25 posts, read 41,797 times
i used to my fake name on my story about my life.
i don feel comfortable when i used my real identity when i told about my story on internet....

Old 12-29-2009, 07:03 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,340,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I often use real names when I write. It helps me manage my characters.

When and if it's going to be published, I change the names. Word processing makes it easy.
That is what I was going to say. When it comes time to change names you can always make the names VERY similar. Change Liz to Elizabeth or Betty to Bethany. You can get a baby name book from the library and find versions of the same name too.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:30 AM

49 posts, read 114,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I found some journal type writings last week of when I was in a sorority over 25 years ago and I put some of them on a blogger blog. I just used first names and if it was something sensitive I used a fake name (for instance one of my sorority sisters was murdered in a bad drug deal a couple of years later). Really, there are no major revelations here. It's mostly just stupid and funny - and funny probably only to me. But now I've been told to change all the names. Should I?
When I have done blogging, the only actual name I keep is my own. I never know if the next person wants a given fact of history to be broadcast or not. If I was doing actual journalism or writing a book, it would depend upon how much documentation I can obtain to corraborate what I remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing