Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 07:00 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,345,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecam222 View Post
Stop saying "That said" when we know you already said something!!!!!
OR ... "With that said"
OR ... "Having said that"
Amen, amen, and AMEN!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 07:56 AM

165 posts, read 396,430 times
To those who wish to banish an eminently useful phrase, consider the following sentences, both with and without it:

Hitler was an infamous psychopath. He liked dogs.

Hitler was an infamous psychopath. That said, he liked dogs.

Note the first couplet makes absolutely no sense, or seems to say that a liking for dogs makes one a psychopath. The second couplet balances one facet against the other in an understandable (if lame) way. NOW do you understand why "that said" is valuable?

Old 01-15-2010, 07:15 AM

1,063 posts, read 2,467,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Raab View Post
To those who wish to banish an eminently useful phrase, consider the following sentences, both with and without it:

Note the first couplet makes absolutely no sense, or seems to say that a liking for dogs makes one a psychopath. The second couplet balances one facet against the other in an understandable (if lame) way. NOW do you understand why "that said" is valuable?
Ahem...I don't think you are understanding. It is overly used, like never before and it is extremely annoying.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:41 AM

It is hardly surprising that I failed to comprehend; you didn't say anything about overuse in your post. You merely made a nonsensical comment about the writer having already said something.

In addition, I seldom see it used. There are plenty of other faddish, overused, cutesy phrases to bemoan. "That said" is not one of them.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,524 times
I agree with everyone who thinks everyone else should STOP SAYING "that said" all the freaking time. It has become SOOO overused it IS becoming annoying. I even heard a new and more annoying version lately: "Notwithstanding having said that." Really? SHUT UP!

Old 07-21-2010, 10:41 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,302,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Raab View Post

Any word or phrase can be valuable and in that case it is. But the point I think is that its overused. And there are other words which work too.

"However" in many cases is a good substitute. If your saying or writing something varity in your choice of words is good and keeps people from getting bored.

The extended version of "that said" seems to follow the trend for tecky talk and governmentese, where 6 words are better than one.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:39 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,655,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
The extended version of "that said" seems to follow the trend for tecky talk and governmentese, where 6 words are better than one.
So you don't necessarily subscribe to the theory of reprioritizing the utilization of phrasings?

Old 07-28-2010, 04:58 PM

I'm sorry if the phrase bothers you more than "but" or "however" even those are used many times more often than "that said."

But, however, nonetheless and regardless, when I'm writing I'm not actually saying anything, so I may henceforth use the phrase "that written" instead. It's certainly not overused. Yet.

How's that?

Old 07-28-2010, 05:20 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,061,871 times
Quote:
OR ... "With that said"

With that said
This thread is dead
See ya latter Fred

busta

Old 07-29-2010, 09:19 AM

507 posts, read 880,167 times
Quote:
OR ... "With that said"

Start your own language if standard English bothers you so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing