Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 03:02 AM

30 posts, read 212,591 times

Advertisements

My family may be moving to Worland or Thermopolis in the very new future. We are just waiting for the final word on a job there.

Can someone tell us about the RENTAL situation in Worland and Thermopolis (must accept two kitties, part of the family, that come attached to a good vacuum, a rug cleaner, and great references!)?????

We've driven all through Worland and drove through Thermopolis 2007!

Worland has new homes going up and others for sale. It's growing. We're told by internet and the locals Wal-mart is expected next year if they can work out the details with the city. Otherwise, there are plenty of local stores.

But we were told there are more rentals available in Thermopolis.

Anything you can tell us about the town would be great.

Oh, and religion, anyone know what the primary religion is in Worland and in Thermopolis? We saw may different churches so we're curious what the largest membership is at what church, etc.

Thanks a bunch!

Happy Summer!

*GypsyLee*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 07:08 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,478,878 times
I don't live in either, but will throw in my couple of comments. Both Worland and Thermop (as Wyomingites call it) are pleasant enough communities. Worland probably has more going for it economically. The real estate market in both is still appreciating, as it is in most of Wyoming. I would guess rentals may be fairly scarce in either.

Religion is a mixed bag in that area, though the Big Horn Basin in general has a significant LDS population.

Oh, and if you're headed to Thermopolis from Riverton or Casper, be sure to stop in Shoshoni and have a milk shake at Yellowstone Drug (you may have to dodge the tumbleweeds blowing down Shoshoni's main drag to get there, no joke!). About the best milk shakes you can find in the U.S.! OK, now I'm hungry!

Old 06-23-2007, 08:45 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,826,625 times
Don't forget about Hot Springs State Park in Thermop. Pretty cool place. Kind of like a min Mammoth Hot Springs in YNP.

State Parks and Historic Sites - Hot Springs (http://wyoparks.state.wy.us/Parks/HotSprings/index.asp - broken link)

Old 06-23-2007, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I don't live in either, but will throw in my couple of comments. Both Worland and Thermop (as Wyomingites call it) are pleasant enough communities. Worland probably has more going for it economically. The real estate market in both is still appreciating, as it is in most of Wyoming. I would guess rentals may be fairly scarce in either.

Religion is a mixed bag in that area, though the Big Horn Basin in general has a significant LDS population.

Oh, and if you're headed to Thermopolis from Riverton or Casper, be sure to stop in Shoshoni and have a milk shake at Yellowstone Drug (you may have to dodge the tumbleweeds blowing down Shoshoni's main drag to get there, no joke!). About the best milk shakes you can find in the U.S.! OK, now I'm hungry!
Thank you for your reply. I do see Worland growing which is always a plus. I think the town has potential.

Are these two cities welcoming to strangers?

I'm looking forward to finding those milkshakes! I'll let you know how good they were! LOL

Thanks again!

Old 06-24-2007, 10:06 AM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,066,949 times
I would have to say that Worland is welcoming to strangers from my experience as an outsider. My husband was up there framing a house several years ago and I went up to check it out as his boss was trying to convince us to move up there from Cheyenne. Anyway, in my experience everyone was more than friendly and my hubby said the same thing. It seemed like mayberry almost, in a good way. We've actually considered moving up there now. A small friendly town sounds pretty nice after living in RS.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earniefan View Post
I would have to say that Worland is welcoming to strangers from my experience as an outsider. My husband was up there framing a house several years ago and I went up to check it out as his boss was trying to convince us to move up there from Cheyenne. Anyway, in my experience everyone was more than friendly and my hubby said the same thing. It seemed like mayberry almost, in a good way. We've actually considered moving up there now. A small friendly town sounds pretty nice after living in RS.
Thank you for responding. I agree with you. We found the people that we met really nice. We were only there for one day. Traveling through. But it's looking like it may be home soon. I'm excited. There's a lot of options out there right now.

When do you think you'll be moving there?

Old 06-25-2007, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
Don't forget about Hot Springs State Park in Thermop. Pretty cool place. Kind of like a min Mammoth Hot Springs in YNP.

State Parks and Historic Sites - Hot Springs (http://wyoparks.state.wy.us/Parks/HotSprings/index.asp - broken link)
It's enough better in person. We stopped long enough to take in the view and then drove through. It was great. We are really excited that this may be our new home.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:37 AM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,066,949 times
So what's wrong with the Boy's school?

Old 07-03-2007, 08:36 AM

16 posts, read 26,540 times
I agree with logicskier, both are small and lame. Worland is known by people at the University as a "Man Camp;" that's a bad thing.

Old 07-03-2007, 11:56 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,478,878 times
Well, if two pleasant farming/ranching communities surrounded by some of the best scenery in Wyoming (Big Horn Mountains, Wind River canyon, Absaroka Mountains, etc.) are "lame," then so be it. Sometimes towns don't need to be big and fancy to be nice communities. Worland is small and lame enough that Pepsi-Cola started there (bet you didn't know that). Thermop is small and lame enough that Wyoming's current Governor is from there.

And, if you have a cat, he or she probably likes Worland. The kitty litter he or she uses probably came from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming