Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 01:24 PM

780 posts, read 1,344,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunabell View Post
There is a position in the school system that my husband is thinking about applying for. I had written off Green River because of the wind. Also, I am a little leery of the hard drinking descriptions of the area. However, in this economy, I don't want to be too hasty.

Is this hard drinking, bar hopping existence separate from a family culture? I have read a few threads where people have said that they love it for their families. Is it safe to assume that if you immerse yourself in the family oriented activities/life that you can avoid the rest? I had fun in my 20's, but I am too old now and I don't think my kids would be too happy with me if my social life existed in a bar.

We love the outdoors, so I can see us really enjoying this aspect of the area. My husband, in particular, loves to hunt. The whole wind thing though...you guys make it sound like it constantly blowing at hurricane strength.
If you have the chance to move for a job, and a gov't job at that, I'd say go for it because yes, w/ the economy you can never be sure, and you don't want to pass up a good job offer just because of the weather.

However, yes, in the 24 yrs I lived in both GR and RS, I will say that GR is more of a "family-friendly" town than RS is. People seem generally friendlier in GR too--or at least that was the perception I got of the whole area, but if your husband loves to hunt, he would probably really enjoy it. I read somewhere that Sweetwater County is one of the very few counties, in the entire US, that has more deer than people. For avid hunters, it's paradise.

About the wind, RS is a LOT windier than GR, but when the wind is blowing at 30mph in GR and 40mph in RS, you won't tell much difference :-) The summers I remember were nice though ( even if they did only last about a month or two at most ) but temps in the 80's in the day and cooling to the 50's at night, but that wind.........oh yeah, it is always a concern to a lot of people almost 24/7, and I think most folks find ways to accommodate their day around it.

About the bars, if you aren't really into drinking, you'll probably find other ways to spend your free time, but for a town the size of about 11k ( GR ) or 18k ( RS ) the bars are the weekend thing to do I remember........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 09:39 AM

468 posts, read 799,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylar0201 View Post
If you have the chance to move for a job, and a gov't job at that, I'd say go for it because yes, w/ the economy you can never be sure, and you don't want to pass up a good job offer just because of the weather.

However, yes, in the 24 yrs I lived in both GR and RS, I will say that GR is more of a "family-friendly" town than RS is. People seem generally friendlier in GR too--or at least that was the perception I got of the whole area, but if your husband loves to hunt, he would probably really enjoy it. I read somewhere that Sweetwater County is one of the very few counties, in the entire US, that has more deer than people. For avid hunters, it's paradise.

About the wind, RS is a LOT windier than GR, but when the wind is blowing at 30mph in GR and 40mph in RS, you won't tell much difference :-) The summers I remember were nice though ( even if they did only last about a month or two at most ) but temps in the 80's in the day and cooling to the 50's at night, but that wind.........oh yeah, it is always a concern to a lot of people almost 24/7, and I think most folks find ways to accommodate their day around it.

About the bars, if you aren't really into drinking, you'll probably find other ways to spend your free time, but for a town the size of about 11k ( GR ) or 18k ( RS ) the bars are the weekend thing to do I remember........
He is applying! You are right, we shouldn't overlook an opportunity because of some wind.

My husband loves the idea that there are more deer than people! Me not so much, since that just increases the time each year that I am chucked over in favor of a hunting season. Though I can't complain too much, as I do enjoy the food he brings home.

Thanks for your input!

Old 09-30-2011, 07:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,067 times
complete ****hole... Can not wait to leave this meth infested rat hole!!

Old 10-01-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunabell View Post
He is applying! You are right, we shouldn't overlook an opportunity because of some wind.

My husband loves the idea that there are more deer than people! Me not so much, since that just increases the time each year that I am chucked over in favor of a hunting season. Though I can't complain too much, as I do enjoy the food he brings home.

Thanks for your input!
Hello--just checking in. So did your husband get that job and did he take it?

If you're living there now, what do you think of the area?

Old 10-01-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhater View Post
complete ****hole... Can not wait to leave this meth infested rat hole!!
LOL!

It's funny, I have a cousin who lives in Vegas now ( but also grew up around GR and RS like I did when I was younger ) , but works for the UPRR and he had to drive a crew up through Green River and Rock Springs out to Rawlins somewhere on his job just 2 yrs ago, and he said on the radio, he heard a PSA play 4 different times for staying off of meth--this was in between Little America and Rock Springs just in that 30 min timeline or so. He told me, wow, these two towns are lot more wilder than I remember them being!

Old 10-24-2011, 06:29 PM

9 posts, read 15,090 times
Default Driving to RS

Hey Derrick, did you drive when you moved there? I am planning to move from Baltimore, Maryland to Rock Springs in December. I will be driving so I wanted to know how many days it takes to get there? Also any tips will be welcome.
Thanks to all who will reply.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:22 PM

400 posts, read 949,701 times
It takes three days. We drove from here to Delaware and back. And that was driving a big Uhaul truck.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyomama2 View Post
It takes three days. We drove from here to Delaware and back. And that was driving a big Uhaul truck.
Yeah, but was that in December?

I lived in the GR/RS area for 24 yrs and the month of December, the weather can get really, really nasty; especially between Laramie and RS.

I know a drive to the east coast from WY does take about 3 days, but knowing just how tricky I-80 will be from Iowa west-ward, better plan on another day or two just to be safe.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:49 AM

400 posts, read 949,701 times
Obviously if there is inclement weather and road closures it's going to take longer. FYI, when you hit Nebraska if the interstate is bad and the semi's are flying past you, get off I-80 and drive to the north to the highway. I did this one year when driving back home. It was nice there was hardly any traffic and while the roads still had snow and ice on them I didn't have bumper to bumper traffic and semi's flying by me on my left. There are probably highways you could travel if need be the whole way until you hit Wyoming.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:26 PM

9 posts, read 15,090 times
Default Thanks

Thanks for your advice. I will move the first week of December and hopefully the weather won't be too bad. I will be driving my truck with a small 4x8 uhaul trailer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming