Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 07:20 AM

1 posts, read 8,176 times

Advertisements

I am considering a job in Green River soon. is there any safe apartments to rent there? Seems most information is about drunks, law breakers and meth users in the area...
I have already decided my wife and son will not move with me..... Honest information greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 10:04 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
I have not lived in the area since I was a little kid, but I see there are a couple of threads here where people speak pretty highly of Green River.

New to Green River or Rock Springs, things to do?

Tell me about SW WY, Green River area

The crime rate is also quite low, see the chart here //www.city-data.com/city/Green-River-Wyoming.html If you don't hang out in the bars you probably won't encounter all that many drunks, law breakers and meth heads.

I see a lot of comments about how bad the wind is there, which surprises me because according to the weather data its not all that windy.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:54 PM

400 posts, read 949,887 times
You are perfectly safe in Green River or Rock Springs. It is rougher here than some other places and I used to think it was awful until we lived in Delaware for 7 months and now that I have something that's actually "rough" to compare it to it's not bad at all. I have gone for walks at night around 10 or so and have never worried about my safety one bit. You shouldn't be afraid to bring your wife or children here, there are many families here and a lot of them that have been born and raised here and care a great deal about their communities in GR and RS. I lived in GR for one year and have lived in RS for 6. What's hard for most people about living here is Wyoming winters if they're not used to a normal winter and being so far from everything. It's a 3 hour drive to SLC for shopping so you become accustomed to taking a weekend trip or shopping online. I love it here now and never plan on leaving. But there are plenty of people here that say they hate it so I think it just boils down to perception. There are a lot of extra curricular activities offered for the kids here and that helps a lot.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:56 PM

400 posts, read 949,887 times
Curious, where would you be moving from?

Old 06-24-2011, 03:06 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
The library in Green River is haunted.

High Spirits: The Ghost Log Blog » Library History

Most of the stories relate that the library was built over a cemetery. There's a story that a man once hid in the library at closing time, having made a bet with a friend that he would spend the night there alone. When the staff came in the morning they found an old man speaking nonsense, almost gibbering. A psychiatrist was called. He decided to send the man to the asylum in Evanston. Then an attendant searched the man looking for identification. When he found it he looked at it and began to shake with fright. The old man, looking to be eighty, was actually twenty-three.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:54 PM

2 posts, read 12,446 times
Default Utilities i n RS/GR

What is the best cell phone provider to go with in the RS/GR area? Is there any competition for cable and internet or basically one local provider and what are the usual costs?
Thanks!

Old 08-01-2011, 07:41 AM

2 posts, read 9,149 times
Cell phone is basically Union and Verizon. If you plan on staying around town then either will work. If you do anything outside of town then Union is your best bet.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:05 PM

46 posts, read 115,191 times
Do Verizon.... I have Sprint, and while I live over in Douglas, i'm roaming pretty much anywhere in the state. but i just re-upped for 2 years with them and my phone bill is about $5/month... so I'm just going to suffer through it for a couple years.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:55 PM

2 posts, read 7,656 times
What should someone moving their with pets do about housing? No apt complexes please! I know with the energy boom its a little steep to rent, any way of finding something under $1,000?

Old 09-17-2011, 04:28 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
If you have a large enough security deposit for your pets, that might help the pet/rental problem. And by large enough I'm talking about a few grand. I've had tenants with pets do $5-$10,000 in damages. $500 or $1000 doesn't go far when you've got to replace carpet and subfloor throughout the house, doors, patio doors, etc. Of course if you're putting down extra large deposits, I'd think you should be looking at some security of your own, such as an escrow account through a bank, lots of pictures prior to moving in, etc.

You may not find a decent stick-built single-family home for under $1000, but you might find something in a townhouse or mobile home. Townhouses can be just as quiet and private as a single-family home.

When my son first got back from his navy duty he wanted a dog. I warned him not to, as rentals would be hard to find, but advice from Dad has never been taken too seriously. So he got his dog. Then he had to build a "dog house" for it, as he couldn't find a rental. The dog house was a 1400 sq foot home with a large fenced yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming