Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 01:50 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyomama2 View Post
If it's even necessary. Our two old vehicles start with no problem, even when the windchill is -50. Diesel engines need a block heater but that's because diesel fuel gels up. Maybe something is different with a smart car?
That's why I asked her what configuration of SMART car it was. Some of the electric motors HAVE to have 90 weight in the gearing so it may not work worth a darn in Wyoming unless preheated in some manner.

Some are hybrids that are gas/electric where electric runs the vehicle and the gas portion simply charges a battery bank. Which would again need 90 weight oil.

Some are gas/electric which will run on either of which case, on cold days, could motor along on the gas only.

Most diesels have block heaters because the older diesel engines needed a heavy oil. Has nothing to do with gelling of the fuel. The fuel will still gel because the block heater doesn't heat the fuel lines. You also have to treat the fuel with an additive, or mix it with #1 diesel. Most gas stations start mixing it automatically when cold sets in. I should say they used to. But when they did, the diesel pump would tell you (70/30 or 60/40 or 50/50). I use an additive in mine and it's fine. By the way, my 1985 diesel pickup starts just fine down to about -20.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 06:50 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,292,578 times
battery lose efficiency, and very cold temps, -40 on a older battery , thing don't start

Old 02-06-2011, 10:57 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
I'm pretty sure this is what she's talking about:

smart USA - pure coupe technical specs (http://www.smartusa.com/pure-coupe-specs.aspx?model=pure_coupe - broken link)

Old 02-07-2011, 08:00 AM

If that's the case, she's in luck. There are several of them running around Sheridan right now. So there has got to be somebody in town that is familiar with them, or at least "Getting familiar with them."

That thing is cute. Did you notice? It comes with a little steering wheel and everything! I should put one in the back of my truck.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:28 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
It comes with a little steering wheel and everything! I should put one in the back of my truck.
They should come with straps or clamps so you could attach them to your shoes, don't you think, EH?

And lots of people DO put them in the back of their trucks -- sideways. Full-time RVers sometimes pull their 5th wheels with heavy duty trucks -- Volvo 610s, 630s, etc. Since those trucks are a little big for scooting around town in, many will carry motorcycles between the cab and RV. Well, the Smart cars sold in Europe work too. They're just short enough that they can fit within the legal highway width maximums. Unfortunately those made for distribution in the U.S. are a few inches longer and won't work, but the earliest ones sold in the U.S. weren't the "stretched" versions.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:03 AM

3,649 posts, read 6,292,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
They should come with straps or clamps so you could attach them to your shoes, don't you think, EH?

And lots of people DO put them in the back of their trucks -- sideways. Full-time RVers sometimes pull their 5th wheels with heavy duty trucks -- Volvo 610s, 630s, etc. Since those trucks are a little big for scooting around town in, many will carry motorcycles between the cab and RV. Well, the Smart cars sold in Europe work too. They're just short enough that they can fit within the legal highway width maximums. Unfortunately those made for distribution in the U.S. are a few inches longer and won't work, but the earliest ones sold in the U.S. weren't the "stretched" versions.
Hauling wool to Toolie Ut saw a few of those on the interstate around SLC, I'll be scared to death 5 lane, semis, bumber to bumber at 75 MPH, nope I want some metal around me.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
Hauling wool to Toolie Ut saw a few of those on the interstate around SLC, I'll be scared to death 5 lane, semis, bumber to bumber at 75 MPH, nope I want some metal around me.
What does that say about our safety standards. That car must pass the same safety standards that a Volvo, Benz, Caddy, Ford, or any other vehicle on the road does. That also tells me that a Volvo, Benz, Caddy, Ford or any other vehicle is no more safe then a Smart Car because you know those engineers and the company are too cheap to actually exceed standards.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:33 AM

26 posts, read 51,198 times
Well Folks I am here.You might have seen my little SMARTIE around town this past week..the color on the specs sheet posted here earlier is just whatmine looks like and its a gas only model.I have been told I do not need a engine block warmer and while I was still in Seattle the good folks at the motel started my car up each day as it arrived a week before I did and even on the really cold zub-zero days it started right up...Yay!
Thanks for all the great advice!I hope to meet and greet some of you during the coming years.If you see me in my car ,give me a wave I will reciprocate one back at cha!

Old 02-13-2011, 08:26 AM

Welcome to the Wyoming wind. Sheridan doesn't usually get wind but last night we had some gusts that hit 60+. That is unusual for Sheridan.

Welcome to Sheridan.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:28 AM

26 posts, read 51,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Welcome to the Wyoming wind. Sheridan doesn't usually get wind but last night we had some gusts that hit 60+. That is unusual for Sheridan.

Welcome to Sheridan.
Yeah I was awakened at 2:30 am..but since my first day isn't until tomorrow I can nap my way today as my last day of freedom before I start at the VA.
Hello SHERIDAN, nice to meet cha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming