Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 01:21 PM

43 posts, read 147,009 times

Advertisements

Hi gang,
Looking to do a little weekend getaway in Thermopolis next month --- what's the best way to do it?
I'm coming from the Buffalo direction, and would be leaving Saturday morning and coming back on Sunday ...
A friend said something about having lunch at Meadowlark Lake? Not sure if it's a picnic-type situation, or is there a restaurant there?

Is the State-run hot springs the thing to do, or are the private ones better?

Will probably drive up Wind River Canyon ... is that just a drive, or are there places to stop and see, or hike? (lol, yes I may be optimistic about how much I'll do outside, given the weather ... but heck we've had a mild winter so far, maybe it will hold out a few more weeks )

Maybe breakfast at the Ram's Horn Cafe in Worland on the way back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 01:42 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Meadowlark Lake Resort

I've heard it's a really good place to have lunch, but I've never been there. A neighbor of mine did some dam work up there last summer and he was telling me about it.

Can't help you with the hot springs, have been through town but never stopped. Same with Worland. I have been to Worland several times but never ate at the place you mentioned.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:19 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,417,068 times
All the hot springs tend to be over-run by kids on the weekends (none better or worse than the rest). So your call on that. I have a preference for Star Plunge just because that's where I went through the 80's.

Are you staying in the park overnight? I've only ever done that once, at the Holiday Inn. Kinda old and it shows, but the dining room/bar atmosphere is uniquely Wyoming. It wasn't a bad experience.

As for Wind River Canyon, there are a few pull-outs (official) through the length, and a few more unofficial spots where you can get off to the side. Not much in the way of "hikes" though, as you have the river on one side and a rather steep climb on the other. I've done the steep climbs before (I was a rock-hound as a kid), not something I'd try in the winter/cold... or now as a non-kid.

Have fun.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:13 PM

3,647 posts, read 3,783,666 times
I can vouch for the food recently at Deer Haven (same people own South Fork, Meadowlark and Deer Haven and are really put some effort into doing things well, IMO). It has been good.

I prefer TeePee pool, but have always had fun at the Plunge, too. Wind River Canyon is cool to see and has some pull outs for photos. I haven't ate at the place you mentioned in Worland. I do know some people from there and will ask them.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:18 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,234,036 times
My Dad and I spent several days in Thermopolis last year to fish the Big Horn. The fishing was AWESOME!

There are places in the canyon to pull over and view the river. There are even a couple of places to pull over and get down near the river. The canyon itself is spectacular. Unreal.

In town there are a few places to eat, etc... but it is small (which I like!) The hot springs were cool. They have a 'touristy' (maybe state park?) place at the hot springs (video games, etc...) where you can actually enjoy the water. I think they have swimming there... in the actual spring water?... I'm not sure. Seemed pretty clean and well maintained. Nice little park where you can walk through the springs on wooden pathways. That was pretty neat.

There is another hot springs area in a camper/trailer park as well (north side of town) that you may be able to use, but it's not kept up as well as the official touristy/state park place but hey have a 'tiki hut' next to the spring pool for evening entertainment. I think they do evening parties there, but seemed family oriented.

There are also some really cool museums in town. They have an outstanding dinosaur museum! If you have kids they may really like that.

All of that said, the whole area is gorgeous and as long as the weather cooperates I'd highly recommend it.

Merry Christmas and Best of Luck!

Tyster

Old 12-21-2011, 06:57 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
My wife and I stayed at the Holiday Inn/Days Inn right in the park a few years ago and had a nice time. We enjoyed the food and spa. But that has been a few years ago.... I've used the steam baths and pools in the park too. They'd feel good about now. (It's snowing and headed down to single digits tonight!)

Old 12-22-2011, 06:46 PM

3,648 posts, read 6,288,980 times
the Holiday is now a Days Inn, The Best Western Plaza across the street has been refurbished, it can be a little nosiy but it a great stay, been there a few times in the last couple of years for meetings... no resturant but has a nic soaking pool.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:59 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,949,032 times
I hit a deer in Thermopolis!! True story.

There are deer roaming the streets all over. Really strange. Oh, don't worry. I didn't hurt the deer. He just looked back at me like, "Watch it buddy."

The hot springs are pretty awesome. I hope you can go when it is really cold as the steam will be all over the place. I do remember the wooden walk ways and park. Old train station.

However, I do remember when I went to McDonald's in the morning one time the truck didn't get there to deliver some product because of the weather. So as I tried to order the #1 meal they said they didn't have some of the product for that meal. Before I could continue the lady said, "That means you cannot order a #3 #5 or a # 8." I laughed pretty hard and said to myself, "I'm not in Kansas anymore." Hee Hee.

I think you will enjoy the Canyon. The train tracks running along the river on the other side is pretty awesome. As you travel the train at times will go thru tunnels that you can see from your side.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:55 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,219,430 times
I lived in Thermopolis for several years, some of them even IN the state park! My kids' dad is one of the supervisors at the state run Pioneer Home and our home was provided with the job. I spent many, many evenings at the pools. As for the two privately run ones, I preferred the Star myself, but many like the Tepee just as well. The tepee has a bigger indoor pool, inside basketball in the pools, large kiddie pool, etc., so it may be preferred to people with children. Both have indoor slides. I like to go outside at the Star during the winter. I love sitting in the hottest pool (small, like a jacuzzi type thing) during the winter. Other than your hair freezing like icicles it is awesome! The star also has a diving board outside and an outside small kids' slide as well as a big outside slide, which is only open during the summer. Last I knew the Tepee didn't have any outside. As for the State of Wyoming Bath House, it is great for those who just want to soak. If you are there to solely relax in the hot water and not have action around you, that is the place to go. It is free, where as the others cost about $10. The bath house has some private inside tubs, but also has a nice sitting pool outside where you can sit and visit with others. Hopefully this gives you an idea of what each offers. Oh, as far as the Fountain of Youth (the campground just north of town that someone mentioned), it is a large outdoor pool. It is used mostly for those who camp there. I know that they used to allow others to use the pool for a charge, but not sure of how that works now. It is mainly for the campers. I have recently moved about 50 miles from Thermop and my brother & his wife live there. He is the newspaper publisher/editor. So I get to go there more often than I've been able to since I moved from there. Thermop is a nice little town. My kids both went all the way through school there and they really like it, especially now that they are grown with kids of their own (isn't that the way it always is with kids...they hate home until they move away for awhile!!!). Have fun while you are there!

Old 01-05-2012, 05:03 PM

43 posts, read 147,009 times
Thanks for the replies everyone!

We're going this weekend, haven't made reservations yet, going to play it by ear --- I'll report back next week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming